Ulster U20 and Minor Championships 2024

Started by Captain Obvious, March 22, 2023, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc_manchester

Down had 8 lads starting from Burren and 2 subs. This is the highest number of players from one team to represent a county I've ever seen

oakleaflad

Quote from: tc_manchester on March 30, 2023, 08:53:56 AM
Down had 8 lads starting from Burren and 2 subs. This is the highest number of players from one team to represent a county I've ever seen
Think the same minor team was something similar, lost out to Fermanagh from memory.

yellowcard

Must be some sort of record that. Burren could easily become the main force in Ulster over the next few years. 

InnocentByStander

Think every team should raise the white flag and let Derry walk.

That full forward line is scary

snoopdog

Quote from: yellowcard on March 30, 2023, 09:39:43 AM

Must be some sort of record that. Burren could easily become the main force in Ulster over the next few years.
Another from Burren on panel but carrying an injury. This squad at minor level were let down by their management team.

imtommygunn

I'm sure Cross have been up there, st galls in antrim and the likes of the carlow county champions years ago had a pile of players on the team.

Cargin had, I think, 6 on the antrim team last night and I think one came on and played a major role too.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: snoopdog on March 30, 2023, 10:22:07 AM

Another from Burren on panel but carrying an injury. This squad at minor level were let down by their management team.

How many are on the Down senior squad? Murdock in midfield?

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 30, 2023, 10:27:22 AM

I'm sure Cross have been up there, st galls in antrim and the likes of the carlow county champions years ago had a pile of players on the team.

Cargin had, I think, 6 on the antrim team last night and I think one came on and played a major role too.

Don't recall Cross ever having 10/11 on a county squad with 8 on the starting team. With respect to both Antrim or Carlow, I don't think either would ever have been at the level of being capable of dethroning the current AI champions either. 

SHEEDY

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 30, 2023, 10:43:45 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 30, 2023, 10:22:07 AM

How many are on the Down senior squad? Murdock in midfield?
there's a few in senior squad as well, Liam kerr and Odhran Murdock would be nailed on starters, there's also Peter fegan, Ryan magill, Danny magill and Patrick McCarthy who have all featured at different times in the league
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on March 30, 2023, 11:24:21 AM

Don't recall Cross ever having 10/11 on a county squad with 8 on the starting team. With respect to both Antrim or Carlow, I don't think either would ever have been at the level of being capable of dethroning the current AI champions either.

Aged defined groups are different, yes Tyrone were the current champions of last year but that means a batch of lads can't play so there for not the same team nor dethroning the AI champions, with respect  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2023, 11:40:33 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 30, 2023, 11:24:21 AM

Aged defined groups are different, yes Tyrone were the current champions of last year but that means a batch of lads can't play so there for not the same team nor dethroning the AI champions, with respect  ;)

That's a fair point it's not the same side but I'd say Tyrone are still fairly competitive and among the top sides in the competition so to go and win in Omagh is no mean feat for them. I suppose time will tell on the relative strength of this Down side but I would expect to see a Down v Derry final which will be the litmus test for them.

IronMike247

How many have Tyrone on the team from last year? Still a mighty result for Down whatever the context.

armaghniac

I'm pretty sure that Cross never had so many on an underage team. In Armagh, underage teams often have a spread of clubs, Cross just doesn't lose as many in the transition to senior.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Quote from: IronMike247 on March 30, 2023, 12:23:51 PM
How many have Tyrone on the team from last year? Still a mighty result for Down whatever the context.

Last year All Ireland final team.

S McMenamin,
M Rafferty, B Conway, E Corry,
J Donaghy  S Donaghy, N Devlin
R McHugh  C Daly
C Cush C Bogue R Canavan
S O'Donnell, M McGleenan, D Muldoon.

Subs brought on G Potter, F Taggart, S Daly, L Donnelly, L McGarrity.

Team last night

C McAneney;
M Rafferty, E McCaffrey, B Hughes;
G Potter, F Taggart, B Cullen;
R McHugh, F Hayes;
C Cush, O Gormley, R Canavan;
S O'Donnell, O Miller, R Cassidy.

Subs: J Donaghy, E McElholm, S O'Hare, O Brolly, C Daly
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 30, 2023, 04:47:00 PM
Quote from: IronMike247 on March 30, 2023, 12:23:51 PM

Last year All Ireland final team.

S McMenamin,
M Rafferty, B Conway, E Corry,
J Donaghy  S Donaghy, N Devlin
R McHugh  C Daly 
C Cush C Bogue R Canavan
S O'Donnell, M McGleenan, D Muldoon.

Subs brought on G Potter, F Taggart, S Daly, L Donnelly, L McGarrity.

Team last night

C McAneney;
M Rafferty, E McCaffrey, B Hughes;
G Potter, F Taggart, B Cullen;
R McHugh, F Hayes;
C Cush, O Gormley, R Canavan;
S O'Donnell, O Miller, R Cassidy.

Subs: J Donaghy, E McElholm, S O'Hare, O Brolly, C Daly
Different C Daly, Ciaran played last year Callum came on last night.