Living here vs USA, 2015

Started by 50fiftyball, July 26, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 06, 2016, 04:32:32 AM
Them feckin red indicators, I still get caught out thinking "yer man must have a bad earth, his tail light is flashing instead of his blinker"

Aye who the hell thought that was a good idea and don't get me started on the frickin' size of the gaps between the door and the frame at a public toilet.

On the mexican food thing, half of Fresno are Mexican so there are loads of authentic style restaurants. One you basically go into someones house and they've a few tables in the front room. I'm not a big beans & rice fan though but do love the tacos

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 05, 2016, 11:20:40 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 05, 2016, 05:42:26 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 05, 2016, 04:48:49 PM
Wasn't it what was available to the Irish when then came over?

First St. Paddy's Day I was here, I was like WTF...Corn Beef and Cabbage...never had it in my life. They all looked at me, as if I had 2 heads. I remember the corn beef in the tin, that we used to eat in a sandwich, which was feckin rotten

Only corned beef I ever came across was the term we used for making fun of girls' ugly legs in primary school.

You'll have to expand on that one.....

Google corned beef legs and you'll understand.

whitey

Quote from: gawa316 on February 08, 2016, 07:50:06 PM
Them feckin red indicators, I still get caught out thinking "yer man must have a bad earth, his tail light is flashing instead of his blinker"

Aye who the hell thought that was a good idea and don't get me started on the frickin' size of the gaps between the door and the frame at a public toilet.

On the mexican food thing, half of Fresno are Mexican so there are loads of authentic style restaurants. One you basically go into someones house and they've a few tables in the front room. I'm not a big beans & rice fan though but do love the tacos

dont mind the gap as long as you dont adopt a wide stance

tyssam5

Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2016, 03:33:31 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 04, 2016, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 04, 2016, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on February 02, 2016, 06:59:07 PM
The Field

Jeepers that menu has me mouth watering...miss the oul sausage rolls.

San Diego is on the bucket list so will defo call in for a few pints and tucker when we make it down

sausage rolls in an irish bar  - Paddy Coyne's in Seattle  - run by an Irish man and they are pure shite. I go to a british bakery a few towns over where the head baker is a wee woman from dundalk - as good as any you'll get at home. It's 45 min there and back but worth it for sausage rolls, steak and kidney pies and mince pies at chrismas time

Depends on their level of hoof content... ;)

But seriously (and this is no slight of the field as I have never been there) how many times have you went to an Irish bar here and ordered something expecting to taste like it was from home and it was just the same ole American shite that you could get anywhere.

...Apart from the corned beef and cabbage obiviously ::)

What's that bakery Iceman? I am in Portland and get up Seattle a fair bit, would like to try it.

The Iceman

British pantry in Redmond. Not too far from the Microsoft campus. They have a pub and cafe there too - nice wee spot
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Them feckin grocery promotions you get in you letter box, what a feckin pain in the neck and waste of paper.

While Im at it.... Mail Boxes attached to the wall instead of a letter box in thru the door

BTW Did anyone ever mention the constant dread of Healthcare costs and/or getting a major wallet sting in some other way.

Shit schools....theres another

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on July 28, 2015, 03:19:54 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 27, 2015, 09:39:02 PM
What's with the US sick days thing? Say you have 5 sick days, you get a bad flu and are off for a fortnight ill or even something serious and you're off for a month or two; just no pay??

Usually you have to use up your holiday time or else take unpaid leave under the Family Medical Leave Act. It varies though. In my last job you got x weeks sick time, then it dropped to half pay for a while, and then it was unpaid. But I couldn't use sick time to stay home or go to the doctor/hospital with a sick family member, whereas in my current job I can. And there's plenty working who get no paid sick leave at all.

The US can be quite harsh when it comes to stuff like holiday and sick time allowance.
the US is backward when it comes to labour rights.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

They can seafoid but then as a result of that some unions here have crazy power.

They act more like guilds than what we would understand a union to be and as a result can be quite corrupt, interfering with how business is done, protecting bad members, nepotism. That in turn results in unions having a bad name in the general populace and the lack of public sympathy which means labour laws dont get strengthened and the so the spiral continues.

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 03, 2016, 05:29:17 AM
They can seafoid but then as a result of that some unions here have crazy power.

They act more like guilds than what we would understand a union to be and as a result can be quite corrupt, interfering with how business is done, protecting bad members, nepotism. That in turn results in unions having a bad name in the general populace and the lack of public sympathy which means labour laws dont get strengthened and the so the spiral continues.
Median real wages are 10% lower than in 1979. Productivity increases go to the owners not the workers. Because unions have been destroyed..
This is one reason why the Fed can't generate economic growth. The US economy is fucked.
The public are very bafly served by the media.

Eamonnca1

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2016, 06:20:12 AM

Median real wages are 10% lower than in 1979. Productivity increases go to the owners not the workers. Because unions have been destroyed..
This is one reason why the Fed can't generate economic growth. The US economy is fucked.

This book will open your eyes: http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Union-Buster-Marty-Levitt/dp/0517583305
It was written by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_J._Levitt
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Yes and collective ownership of means of production has a great track record... The owner is the one carrying the risk so why wouldn't they take a bigger slice of the pie.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2016, 06:31:40 PM

Yes and collective ownership of means of production has a great track record... The owner is the one carrying the risk so why wouldn't they take a bigger slice of the pie.
because if workers don't get pay rises, nobody can buy new products and sales stagnate leading to reduced profit. This is happening right now in the US.

J70

That used to puzzle and irritate the f**k out of me when I first moved over here!

And its not just American cars. Plenty of foreign brands use red rear indicators in their US models.

And this is despite studies showing the amber ones are safer.

omaghjoe