USFC 2020 Semi-Final Armagh v Donegal

Started by Orior, November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

If Cork can beat Kerry then Armagh can beat Donegal, this is a shot to nothing with all of the pressure and expectation on Donegal. Armaghs goalkeeper and defenders will have to play significantly above themselves however. Armagh must not fall into the trap of playing a short passing running game, they will not beat the masters at their own game. A kicking gameplan in these conditions will prove to be the most effective and there are goals in this Armagh team if they set up accordingly. This type of game is the one that best suits good kickers such as 2 x O'Neills, Grimley, Grugan and Forker around the middle anyway. A big man on the edge of the square might not be the worst idea either as Patten, whilst he is a fantastic kicker, has shown that he is not comfortable under high balls in and around the square. In these conditions it is at least worth considering as a plan B.   

tyroneman

Bad weather as a leveller, Armagh def have an outside chance.

Decent weather, just can't see anything other than a Donegal win.

Closer than many will think tho as Armagh do have players to cause damage....Campbell, Grugan, Clarke, RoN and Murnin (when fit)

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: tyroneman on November 09, 2020, 08:28:36 PM
Bad weather as a leveller, Armagh def have an outside chance.

Decent weather, just can't see anything other than a Donegal win.

Closer than many will think tho as Armagh do have players to cause damage....Campbell, Grugan, Clarke, RoN and Murnin (when fit)

It does look like it's going to be a greasy, wet day on Saturday. But wouldn't be convinced that really helps Armagh.

Winter football favours physical teams, and that Donegal side is full of big men. If anything, a few showers might make things even easier for them.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

armaghniac

Well the rainfall in Donegal is significantly higher than in Armagh, I expect that are used to it.
I don't see a second ambush of a top 4 team in a week, despite some ambush expertise in parts of Armagh.
Its a pity that Murnin is not fit, he would be quite capable of catching a high ball and bunging it in the net, as happened in Cork.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Seaney

Rian is also quite capable, but then he is usually the one delivering the ball in.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on November 10, 2020, 12:19:53 AM
Well the rainfall in Donegal is significantly higher than in Armagh, I expect that are used to it.
I don't see a second ambush of a top 4 team in a week, despite some ambush expertise in parts of Armagh.
Its a pity that Murnin is not fit, he would be quite capable of catching a high ball and bunging it in the net, as happened in Cork.
Armagh are a year or 3 behind Donegal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

naka

Quote from: Seaney on November 10, 2020, 08:11:32 AM
Rian is also quite capable, but then he is usually the one delivering the ball in.
if murnin is fit i would throw him into the forward line and see what he can do.
just heard coldrick the ref which isnt great as i find him self serving.
tbh though Hurson would have been a good shout for this game as he is fair and lets things flow.

smelmoth

Quote from: naka on November 10, 2020, 02:12:12 PM
if murnin is fit i would throw him into the forward line and see what he can do.
tbh though Hurson would have been a good shout for this game as he is fair and lets things flow.

Self serving? Explain that one?

A good ref. If we have spent the 2 week break learning how to tackle we will be grand

naka

Quote from: smelmoth on November 10, 2020, 04:00:00 PM

A good ref. If we have spent the 2 week break learning how to tackle we will be grand
Doesn't want to explain his decisions , waves players away etc
Watched Hutson  and indeed falcon a few times as an example
Even when Both giving black cards took time to explain why and called the players by their name etc

smelmoth

Quote from: naka on November 10, 2020, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 10, 2020, 04:00:00 PM

Doesn't want to explain his decisions , waves players away etc
Watched Hutson  and indeed falcon a few times as an example
Even when Both giving black cards took time to explain why and called the players by their name etc

Just the 2 problems with that critique of Coldrick.

Firstly it isn't true. He is probably the best at talking to players. There will of course be players who get into a state where they can't be talked to.

Secondly even if were true it makes no sense. How would it make him self serving? It's a very odd criticism

Seaney

At least Armagh can say they lasted longer than Kerry, really can't see a way to win here, would love to be proved wrong.  Armagh have went to sleep for at least 10 minutes in every match, they will be roasted if they do that on Saturday.

J70

Supposedly Patrick McBrearty and Neil McGee are good to go for Saturday. Paddy McGrath will not be fit.

I guess we'll see on the day. McBrearty was named to start against Tyrone, but didn't feature at any stage.

illdecide

Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2020, 02:47:35 PM
Supposedly Patrick McBrearty and Neil McGee are good to go for Saturday. Paddy McGrath will not be fit.

I guess we'll see on the day. McBrearty was named to start against Tyrone, but didn't feature at any stage.

How fit/sharp can Paddy be? In all fairness i'd love it if he was an Armagh player but from his knee injury he seems to be struggling to be fit (he'll prob tear us a new one on Sat) but if he plays i doubt he'd have the same influence as he normally would. The problem with Donegal is we've too worry about too many on the team as there is quality all over it.
Armagh can win if they click as they do have the players, no doubt but the all the percentages are going Donegal's way...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

Who to go for?  there are good people on both sides.

J70

Yeah, its hard to see him shooting the lights out on his first intercounty game in nine months, especially in wet November conditions.

I'm still skeptical about whether he'll play, or at least, start.

We are lucky though in that we have plenty of firepower and size.