The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2020, 11:43:54 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2020, 09:29:25 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 14, 2020, 09:13:07 AM
We are great when the pressure is off as usual. We actually coughed up points all over the place which is very worrying for Wales. How the hell have they collapsed so much in a year.

New management for Wales possibly the reason.

Couldn't bring myself to watch it. This "autumn series" , Seems a bit contrived .
What are thoughts on the likes of Lowe , playing for Ireland? Can anyone change allegiance , even though they have no Irish blood? Say They just came here to work/play and then declare , presumably because they are not good enough to play for their native country?
The whole essence / motivation of international sport should be patriotism

The autumn series are well established. For the majority of the existence of the game they have been one of the highlights. The format is different this year for obvious reasons.

The residency rules are fair enough in my view. Players qualifying via that route have a lot more skin in the game than granny rule boyos hopping off a plane

Tony Baloney

Even when well behind, Wales never backed themselves to go for the corner with a free ball in hand. That shows the confidence levels they have.

6th sam

Quote from: LCohen on November 14, 2020, 12:39:34 PM
We are great when the pressure is off as usual. We actually coughed up points all over the place which is very worrying for Wales. How the hell have they collapsed so much in a year.

Couldn't bring myself to watch it. This "autumn series" , Seems a bit contrived .
What are thoughts on the likes of Lowe , playing for Ireland? Can anyone change allegiance , even though they have no Irish blood? Say They just came here to work/play and then declare , presumably because they are not good enough to play for their native country?

The autumn series are well established. For the majority of the existence of the game they have been one of the highlights. The format is different this year for obvious reasons.

The residency rules are fair enough in my view. Players qualifying via that route have a lot more skin in the game than granny rule boyos hopping off a plane

Granny rule stretches it a bit , but the Irish diaspora connection is fair enough A new Zealander setting up his life here and playing club rugby is fair enough but getting An international place with no other connection demeans patriotism. It's representative sport, if u haven't got a patriotic connection what's the Point?

smelmoth

Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2020, 03:41:41 PM

Granny rule stretches it a bit , but the Irish diaspora connection is fair enough A new Zealander setting up his life here and playing club rugby is fair enough but getting An international place with no other connection demeans patriotism. It's representative sport, if u haven't got a patriotic connection what's the Point?

Ask Brett Cockbain about his qualification to play for Wales. Someone already has.

The vast majority of players of have played soccer for Ireland under the granny rule had no notion of being Irish before the call came

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: smelmoth on November 14, 2020, 06:53:03 PM

Ask Brett Cockbain about his qualification to play for Wales. Someone already has.

The vast majority of players of have played soccer for Ireland under the granny rule had no notion of being Irish before the call came

I don't think thats fair. Most were genuine diaspora. Yes there were a few absolute chancers like Townsend and Morrison but most were fully aware and proud of their Irish heritage.

But they were at least Irish citizens. The egg chasrees aren't even bothering with that requirement

6th sam

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 15, 2020, 12:26:43 PM

I don't think thats fair. Most were genuine diaspora. Yes there were a few absolute chancers like Townsend and Morrison but most were fully aware and proud of their Irish heritage.

But they were at least Irish citizens. The egg chasrees aren't even bothering with that requirement
Are you serious?
Didn't realise that, so Rugby internationals don't have to be Irish ( or presumably Northern Irish ) citizens? If so, that makes it even more farcical .
Would agree re soccer and the Irish diaspora , most appear to have a genuine affiliation.

dublin7

The foreign imports playing rugby for Ireland spend more time in Ireland than any of their soccer counterparts. They live, work and play here.

They may not be connected to the country by their DNA but there's no doubt players have played for the Ireland soccer team more for the money and their career prospects than any love of the country.

How many players have swapped from N Ire to ROI for the benefit of their career?

Declan Rice was a proud Irishman and footballer until England came calling

Boycey

The list of 'chancers' in Irish soccer history is a hell of a lot longer than Townsend and Morrison

LCohen

Fully aware and proud of their Irish heritage?  What are you basing that on?

How many had Irish passports before the football came?

The rules are not very different. The granny rule entitles someone to an Irish passport. Soccer exploits that quite a lot and at times actively harvests it. The granny rule is rarely used in Rugby. In Ireland anyway. The residency rule is used. Big gamble by a player and they pretty much have to set their life up here. Footballers can fly in and out. The list of chancers is longer than the 2 you list. Very considerably longer. How many of them would have said yes to Ireland if they had to wait 3 or 5 years for their first cap?

delgany

Rugby players have to be based in Ireland to win a cap , soccar players don't- so residency rule has a greater impact

6th sam

Quote from: delgany on November 15, 2020, 06:59:06 PM
Rugby players have to be based in Ireland to win a cap , soccar players don't- so residency rule has a greater impact

International sport  is representative, you are representing your country, either by birth or diaspora . If a person has a passport and decides that he feels Irish , We can't get into questioning that. However playing for a country on the basis of residency , without a passport seems farcical to me. I can understand how a NZ player just below All black standard , jumps at a contract to come to Europe to play club rugby , and if he's good enough to play international for his new country , it will be of financial benefit, but that doesn't make him Irish. "What makes you Irish , Todd", ....." well to be honest, I couldn't get a contract with Toulouse to make me French"
This is no disrespect to those that choose this path, they're playing within the rules, but it just seems farcical to me.

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on November 15, 2020, 12:48:58 PM

The foreign imports playing rugby for Ireland spend more time in Ireland than any of their soccer counterparts. They live, work and play here.

They may not be connected to the country by their DNA but there's no doubt players have played for the Ireland soccer team more for the money and their career prospects than any love of the country.

How many players have swapped from N Ire to ROI for the benefit of their career?

Declan Rice was a proud Irishman and footballer until England came calling

Declan Rice like many has dual affiliation due to family background versus country of birth. He made his decision when he got older.

Players moving from NI to ROI , unfortunately, is hardly for the benefit of the career given the standing of NI compared to ROI. Most Talented youth Players from an "Irish" background in the North fall under the IFA development process. Few could justify asking their parents to run them down to Dublin to join the FAI system. However when they are adult and potentially international standard they make their choice. Surely nobody can argue against that. Does anyone honestly think James McClean chose ROI for career reasons ?,? he has a patriotic affiliation to his country, and punches well above his weight in an Irish jersey.

dublin7

I've no doubt James McLean declared for the ROI for personal reasons and as you say no one would question his commitment or passion for the ROI team.

It's the likes of Alex Bruce that people like myself are referencing. He declared for the ROI and when he wasn't getting picked he switched allegiance to NI. For several players switching allegiances between NI/ROI or declaring for a country they weren't born in is simply a business decision they think will benefit their career.

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-mallon-switches-allegiance-to-northern-ireland-5192255-Sep2020/

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on November 16, 2020, 09:35:41 AM
I've no doubt James McLean declared for the ROI for personal reasons and as you say no one would question his commitment or passion for the ROI team.

It's the likes of Alex Bruce that people like myself are referencing. He declared for the ROI and when he wasn't getting picked he switched allegiance to NI. For several players switching allegiances between NI/ROI or declaring for a country they weren't born in is simply a business decision they think will benefit their career.

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-mallon-switches-allegiance-to-northern-ireland-5192255-Sep2020/

Choosing your international team for football reasons is farcical . and goes against representative patriotism . Just to clarify , dublin7, you're not implying that McClean declared for a country he wasn't born in?

LCohen

Quote from: 6th sam on November 16, 2020, 09:44:24 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 16, 2020, 09:35:41 AM

Choosing your international team for football reasons is farcical . and goes against representative patriotism . Just to clarify , dublin7, you're not implying that McClean declared for a country he wasn't born in?

I trust you don't follow RoI football then? Or NI? Or Wales? Or Scotland to a degree?