Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Got to applaud the 3 of them, came back, helped get us out of the basement and keep us in Division 3. Something for a new group of younger players to build on next season.

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: bannside on May 12, 2022, 10:50:33 PM
I'd say that Cargin trio will all be available for selection. Loyalty is a two way street and those three have been given serious game time over the last two years, so shouldn't have any axe to grind with management.

2 out of the 3 won't be I can assure you BS

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 13, 2022, 08:39:25 AM
Got to applaud the 3 of them, came back, helped get us out of the basement and keep us in Division 3. Something for a new group of younger players to build on next season.

You can't fault their commitment to Antrim over the years and whatever they do there can be no complaints..

For me this competition is a distraction, unless you enter a competition and target to win it then there is no point with all training and prep required, Antrim in the grand scale of things a Junior/Intermediate team, the set up needs changing in regards to The All Ireland.

Realistic targets that'll keep players to this finish of the campaign will bring about a better resolve to achieve.. If we continue to get stuffed in Ulster, lose players before this cup competition, which next year will be either round robin or groups (ffs) and players who are on the fringe or not getting any game time with the club or county, I just can't see the positives at all.

League position div 2 and 1 should be in for Sam, below play an Intermediate championship with promotion the following year to Sam. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The GAA have made an awful balls of the Tailteann cup so it is no wonder people are walking away. You will see the same in a load of counties.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 13, 2022, 09:02:13 AM
The GAA have made an awful balls of the Tailteann cup so it is no wonder people are walking away. You will see the same in a load of counties.

Do you see any real difference between this and the Tommy Murphy cup?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

general_lee

Did Antrim get a bit of a run off the back of their Tommy Murphy success or did I imagine that?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on May 13, 2022, 09:47:58 AM
Did Antrim get a bit of a run off the back of their Tommy Murphy success or did I imagine that?

We are the current holders of the cup, beat Wicklow but whether we got success or not I don't know, we did reach an Ulster final couple years later but we also had a decent team to be fair, we managed to win a club All Ireland 2 years after that success ... but I wouldn't say its was because of teh Tommy Murphy cup..

imtommygunn

We lost to a last minute goal in the final of the 2nd last one and won the last one I think? It was nice to be able to see Antrim in Croke Park mind you.

I am not convinced it advanced anything club AI wise however it did coincide with our ulster final appearance - whether coincidental or not I am not sure but it at least built confidence.

bannside

The way I see it is either the county takes the Tailltean Cup seriously or it dosent. There should be no in between. County board needs to get an update in this from management, a committment that we are going to give this a real rattle.... or not.

If we are, then we need players to be available and no excuses. And it's up to management to get their players out.

If we are not...then let players go back to clubs, don't spend any more money on expenses or preparation, and pull a team together to fulfil a fixture and get it over with.

Who the hell wants to go to Carrick on Shannon or anywhere if management or players don't even care?

Full steam ahead or  just fulfil fixture and get it over with for the year. No in between or taking the piss out of supporters please!

country bumpkin

Our hurlers don't seem to have a problem in their participation in a 'secondary competition'....?

Saffsof82

First major issue with the Tailltean Cup is the timing. Far too long a break from going out of the championship until matches start.

BrendanAntrim

We won the TMC in 2008, did it help with the successful 2009 / 2010 season? It certainly didn't hinder the subsequent progress. The final in '08 was a great day, kids loved it, it was part of a triple bill of qualifiers (even if our game had a ridiculously early start) and it is clear to see that it meant something to players and management.

But yeah, the GAA have made a mess of this year's inaugural Tailteann Cup. Regionalised draw is stupid and unnecessary while Larry has parachuted NY straight into the quarter finals. Next year will probably be the real test, group stages etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 13, 2022, 12:06:04 PM
Our hurlers don't seem to have a problem in their participation in a 'secondary competition'....?

Because the carrot is a winnable competition and back playing the Liam McCarthy cup..

This set up (when first mooted) didn't qualify you in playing for Sam if you won the thing, now they have changed their tune, the bonus is slightly better, the likelyhood of our lads based on previous performance is we'd have to beat Cavan to get out of the north section, million miles away from that

bannside

I think the draw is set for Monday. Are management and players going to wait to see who we get before they decide (individually or collectively) whether or not they "fancy" it?