Laois Hurling Manager 2019

Started by G@@, July 20, 2018, 01:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: G@@ on July 20, 2018, 01:25:05 AM
Interesting report. http://www.midlands103.com/sport-centre/ryan-to-be-appointed-in-laois/

I think this should only happen if a viable internal candidate is not found. Personally, I hope Arien Delaney gets it. A bit of fire in the belly, knows the club scene inside out and the hurlers, and should get a few more from Camross on board.

LooseCannon

portlaoisekid

Any updates on the hurling front?

G@@

Interesting question - then this appears: https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/08/01/a-decision-on-the-new-laois-hurling-manager-to-made-shortly/

Down to three men, reading about them all on that article shows that the selection committee have a bit of a dilemma to reach a decision.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

merman

I don't believe Arien Delaney will be proposed by the selection committee.
I have heard that an appointment is wanted before the business end of the Laois Championship and this is hampering his chances as he is committed to Shinrone.

It would be interesting to see who John McEvoy would have as part of a management team.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on August 01, 2018, 05:16:53 PM
I have heard that an appointment is wanted before the business end of the Laois Championship and this is hampering his chances as he is committed to Shinrone.

It would be interesting to see who John McEvoy would have as part of a management team.

Disappointed to hear that regarding Delaney, whom I would take any day of the week ahead of McEvoy.
I don't see why an involvement with Shinrone until the end of their campaign would preclude him from being appointed. They are unlikely to be hurling until St Patrick's Day. If Delaney didn't see a minute's action of the Laois SHC he would still have a vastly superior knowledge of local talent, in comparison to any of the other candidates, including McEvoy.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 01, 2018, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: merman on August 01, 2018, 05:16:53 PM

Disappointed to hear that regarding Delaney, whom I would take any day of the week ahead of McEvoy.
I don't see why an involvement with Shinrone until the end of their campaign would preclude him from being appointed. They are unlikely to be hurling until St Patrick's Day. If Delaney didn't see a minute's action of the Laois SHC he would still have a vastly superior knowledge of local talent, in comparison to any of the other candidates, including McEvoy.

I completely agree.

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

clonadmad

Eddie Brennan

Outsider,Expensive and such a success at u21 level

burdizzo

Quote from: clonadmad on August 08, 2018, 06:17:30 PM
Eddie Brennan

Outsider,Expensive and such a success at u21 level

Exactly what I was thinking.

redsetanta

Is he still hurling with his club? Personally would have preferred a Laois man. Was anyone else willing to take the job?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Chrimtain

I think Eddie Brennan would be a very good appointment.

Keyser Söze

Don't think it's a bad appointment. I'm sure it's not cheap but neither was Kildangan's finest!

He lost a knockout U21 game to a last minute goal. It hardly defines him. You don't get those jobs in Kilkenny without being well vetted.

There are a lot of positives to this- young, in touch with the "modern game", will want to enhance his reputation, talks sense and will command respect.
It's also worth remembering that there is no obvious successor to Cody at present and if he puts in a solid couple of years with Laois, there is no reason  that his name wouldn't be in the mix.

He's not a weary journeyman. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't enthusiastic and organised. I'd imagine he would have a good setup. He will surely attract anyone that is capable of playing for Laois. I'd imagine he will take no bullshit.

I'm delighted with it actually. Possibly even better than Delaney.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......