Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: In hiding on January 24, 2017, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 24, 2017, 04:20:18 PM
Obviously hitting long high balls into Mark Bradley and Brennan/Ronan O'Neill would be a waste of time but as we no longer do that anyway as most teams play with sweepers in front of the full forward line so most forwards now tend to get the ball through fist passes, often off the shoulder or a burst into space for a fist over the top.
In these cases nippy fast forwards like Brennan and Bradley could be ideal as they can see the space and are quick and accurate when getting a shot off. I think McShane would struggle if played in at FF as he doesn't have that quick turn of pace as is better coming from deeper out.
A nippy fast forward  ? Someone like darren mc curry you mean.

He has had plenty of chances and you can't blame the "system" for missed frees under pressure and wasted shots like at the end of the mayo game last year. The other 2 deserve their shot now.

You talk more dung than anyone on this. Typical yap. Keep bringing problems with no answers, the most useless type of people

In hiding

Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2017, 09:25:30 AM

He has had plenty of chances and you can't blame the "system" for missed frees under pressure and wasted shots like at the end of the mayo game last year. The other 2 deserve their shot now.

You talk more dung than anyone on this. Typical yap. Keep bringing problems with no answers, the most useless type of people

Aye i suppose your right. Thanks for the advice.
Good point though about Mc Curry. Anyone who makes a poor decision on shot selection o who misses frees under pressure should be forgotten about. Good job Mickey kept Peter Harte on the panel after his free kick meltdown against Donegal in Clones in 2011

nrico2006

If we are to win things McCurry really isn't the answer.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

In hiding

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 25, 2017, 09:54:57 AM
You are probably correct. Its the way we hpye up Mc Curry, O Neill, Mc Aliskey and the likes, then make them play in a system which gives them very little support and thus obviously affects their confidence, and then quickly dismiss them as bottlers is my gripe. Those three players were brilliant at minor and u21 level, as were/are Bradley and Brennan. The people on here who are raving about Mark Bradley and Lee Brennan are the same people who will be criticising them for not being good enough in 12 months. A little bit of balance would help here
Just before anyone jumps in and says Colm Mc Fadden was able to play that role. There are no forwards in Tyrone at the minute like Colm Mc Fadden

Fuzzman

I agree In hiding. We are far to fast to right players off just because we're frustrated at our style of play and when players like Ronan O'Neill do manage to get the ball in their hands that they are totally surrounded with little support.
I have watched it here in Dublin as well with Bernard Brogan who used to be unmarkable at one stage to now being a bit part player who has learned that he has to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it because if he tries to beat a man and turn inside he'll be confronted with 2 or 3 other defenders.
Therefore we need our forwards to think and act fast and be accurate under pressure. I fear Ronan isn't the best at this as he's certainly skillful enough but I think he often is too slow to get his shot or pass away if under pressure but maybe he'll prove me wrong. McCurry showed from his great score against Donegal last year that he is good at that coming onto a pass and turning and shooting quickly. I'd much rather see players being brave and shooting rather than what we saw with Roscommon and Galway last year in the drawn game where both teams were scared to miss.

Ronan O'Neill's goal v Derry last year show's what he's capable of if he's marked one on one and given in a good early long ball but very few times are going to leave their full back that exposed any more.
I also think we might see big Sean used a lot more as a sub this year as he has definitely slowed down a bit and he would be a great man to come on and lift the team in the second half rather than him struggling against a mass defence and then tiring in the final 15 minutes. Imagine how he would have lifted us v Mayo if he was just coming on with 20 mins left.

skeog

Dont think Sean has stayed on to be a sub,if he has not been on against Mayo until the last 20 Mayo would have been out of sight. Mickey is in Omagh tonight talking to Paddy Hunter.Why not head to that and i am sure he will answer all your selection queries.

square_ball

Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2017, 09:33:47 AM

Good point though about Mc Curry. Anyone who makes a poor decision on shot selection o who misses frees under pressure should be forgotten about. Good job Mickey kept Peter Harte on the panel after his free kick meltdown against Donegal in Clones in 2011

Sure do you not remember loads of people on this forum were saying Petey Harte was only on the team because Mickey was his uncle ffs?

The trend of this thread from a lot of posters is - why is player X not playing? Player X gets a run of games and then this board deems him not good enough and they move on to championing the next inside forward. McCurry in my opinion is every bit as good if not better than Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley so get off the lads back.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 25, 2017, 10:41:35 AM
I agree In hiding. We are far to fast to right players off just because we're frustrated at our style of play and when players like Ronan O'Neill do manage to get the ball in their hands that they are totally surrounded with little support.
I have watched it here in Dublin as well with Bernard Brogan who used to be unmarkable at one stage to now being a bit part player who has learned that he has to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it because if he tries to beat a man and turn inside he'll be confronted with 2 or 3 other defenders.
Therefore we need our forwards to think and act fast and be accurate under pressure. I fear Ronan isn't the best at this as he's certainly skillful enough but I think he often is too slow to get his shot or pass away if under pressure but maybe he'll prove me wrong. McCurry showed from his great score against Donegal last year that he is good at that coming onto a pass and turning and shooting quickly. I'd much rather see players being brave and shooting rather than what we saw with Roscommon and Galway last year in the drawn game where both teams were scared to miss.

Ronan O'Neill's goal v Derry last year show's what he's capable of if he's marked one on one and given in a good early long ball but very few times are going to leave their full back that exposed any more.
I also think we might see big Sean used a lot more as a sub this year as he has definitely slowed down a bit and he would be a great man to come on and lift the team in the second half rather than him struggling against a mass defence and then tiring in the final 15 minutes. Imagine how he would have lifted us v Mayo if he was just coming on with 20 mins left.

This is the same Sean Cavanagh that won us the Ulster Final 6 months ago with two unbelievable points in the last 15 minutes after playing from the start? I would probably agree that he doesn't have the legs to play as an orthodox midfielder for 70 minutes anymore but I would definitely still have him starting at 14 as we are crying out for a physical presence in there to compliment our smaller corner forwards. I know that that isn't Sean's favored role but he simply has to play there (especially now Skeet is injured for the rest of the year) unless the likes of McShane shows that they are capable of doing it.

On the topic of the corner forwards, I think McCurry deserves a shot at being the main man this year. On his day he's the best we have - regardless of whether it was in the McKenna Cup or not, when was the last time O'Neill or Skeet went out and kicked 5 or 6 points from play? O'Neill started almost every league and Championship game in 2016 and was injury free all year, yet was still held scoreless in Cavan replay, Ulster Final and quarter final v Mayo. I can't see him being any better this year.

In my opinion it should be a toss-up between Bradley and Brennan for the other spot, however it will be a steep learning curve for these lads coming from Trillick and Killyclogher where the whole gameplan is based around getting the ball in to them quick and early. Realistically if one of these lads could guarantee us 2 points from play every day they went out it would be an improvement from lads year and would have to be viewed as a success.

Also, if we went with a FF line of McCurry, Sean Cav and Bradley/ Brennan, then Sean would be back on the right footed free kicks which is the way it should be.

Fuzzman

Ha relax lads I was only messing. Of course Sean dragged us through the Ulster final last year and despite him being well marked v Mayo he is a very important player for us. I just think the way Mickey likes to play our system now that we very rarely kick the ball in there any more so Sean tends to come out the field a lot. I'd much rather we mixed it up a bit like we did in the league 2 years ago with Sean showing he's well able to win his high balls but he needs men feeding off him but I can't see it happening, especially in the more competitive games.

I'd imagine Bradley and McCurry are most likely to start at CF in the league with Brennan getting a run out here and there. Looking forward to the Dublin game and glad it's on so early in the year as the Dubs are still on holiday mood.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: square_ball on January 25, 2017, 11:12:30 AM
Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2017, 09:33:47 AM

Sure do you not remember loads of people on this forum were saying Petey Harte was only on the team because Mickey was his uncle ffs?

The trend of this thread from a lot of posters is - why is player X not playing? Player X gets a run of games and then this board deems him not good enough and they move on to championing the next inside forward. McCurry in my opinion is every bit as good if not better than Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley so get off the lads back.

The good thing about this all, competition breeds success - so these lads all know they have to take it to the limit to get a game. Surely it's going to be good for Tyrone long term but I think targets are unrealistic currently. Tyrone should be good enough to retain Ulster - but I don't think they are at the level to win an AI just yet but they are developing a very deep squad for the first time in a number of years.

redhandefender

Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2017, 10:08:17 AM
You are probably correct. Its the way we hpye up Mc Curry, O Neill, Mc Aliskey and the likes, then make them play in a system which gives them very little support and thus obviously affects their confidence, and then quickly dismiss them as bottlers is my gripe. Those three players were brilliant at minor and u21 level, as were/are Bradley and Brennan. The people on here who are raving about Mark Bradley and Lee Brennan are the same people who will be criticising them for not being good enough in 12 months. A little bit of balance would help here
Just before anyone jumps in and says Colm Mc Fadden was able to play that role. There are no forwards in Tyrone at the minute like Colm Mc Fadden

McCurry hyped himself up sticking youtube videos online meaning every other team around wanted him to mess up when it came to it. He has buckled plenty of times over the last few years when it mattered I am not just referring to one shot. You have a gripe with mickey harte. Wise up you clown he is the best man for the job. Who else should replace him and whats your master system for getting an all Ireland?

McCurry is a good player but there are others there deserving of the chance to see if they can go to that elite level.

southtyronegael

please let this year go quickly. get mc gleenan in and start puttin a bit of pride back in this county.

In hiding

Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2017, 01:41:42 PM

McCurry hyped himself up sticking youtube videos online meaning every other team around wanted him to mess up when it came to it. He has buckled plenty of times over the last few years when it mattered I am not just referring to one shot. You have a gripe with mickey harte. Wise up you clown he is the best man for the job. Who else should replace him and whats your master system for getting an all Ireland?

McCurry is a good player but there are others there deserving of the chance to see if they can go to that elite level.
I don't have a gripe about mickey harte, I have a gripe about clowns like you who can't think for themselves

redhandefender

Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2017, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2017, 01:41:42 PM

I don't have a gripe about mickey harte, I have a gripe about clowns like you who can't think for themselves

Completely defer from the point, very good! You yap and yap about the "system" being the problem. Whats your solution? To yap a bit more