The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Will it ever end on July 17, 2022, 09:24:08 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 17, 2022, 09:19:30 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 17, 2022, 08:54:05 PM
Rory has been around quite a while now, but just look at how many have come and gone while Rory is still up there? Dustin, Brooks, De Chambow have hd spells at the top but all fade while Rory is still up there.

I think that's the point yet he still only has as many majors as someone like Koepka. Rory did nothing wrong today but he didn't do much right either and apart from his 80 back in 2010 today was his worst competitive round at St Andrews and the conditions were perfect. He should have about double the majors with his talent but he is in good company. Look at seve and all his natural ability and he won 5 instead of over 10 and plenty of other top players with none or just one

He played bogey free, hit every green in regulation, his longest par putt couldn't have been anymore than 3 feet, he ran into a burner of a putter in Smith today.

Yep he did but st Andrews as mcGinley said for the big hitters is nearly a par 67 so say what you want but a 70 wasn't that great.he started 4 ahead and even with cams amazing round should have had enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 17, 2022, 09:46:31 PM
Rory has been around quite a while now, but just look at how many have come and gone while Rory is still up there? Dustin, Brooks, De Chambow have hd spells at the top but all fade while Rory is still up there.

I think that's the point yet he still only has as many majors as someone like Koepka. Rory did nothing wrong today but he didn't do much right either and apart from his 80 back in 2010 today was his worst competitive round at St Andrews and the conditions were perfect. He should have about double the majors with his talent but he is in good company. Look at seve and all his natural ability and he won 5 instead of over 10 and plenty of other top players with none or just one

He played bogey free, hit every green in regulation, his longest par putt couldn't have been anymore than 3 feet, he ran into a burner of a putter in Smith today.

Yep he did but st Andrews as mcGinley said for the big hitters is nearly a par 67 so say what you want but a 70 wasn't that great.he started 4 ahead and even with cams amazing round should have had enough.

Yeah he's crap
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 09:48:04 PM

Yeah he's crap

Exactly 8)

Where I do feel for Rory is he drove beautifully most of the 4 days yet some of the other lads were all over the place but the rough was barely a penalty. If they want to make st Andrews challenging just let the rough grow

Will it ever end

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2022, 09:36:54 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 17, 2022, 09:34:05 PM
Anyways .............. according to Jamie Weir - it sounds like our new Open champion is off to follow Greg Norman and the LIV lads along with fellow Aussies Adam Scott and Marc Leishman.

And Henrik Stenson who will be getting stripped of his Ryder Cup captaincy.
Stenson news is mad. When was he last competitive? I presume he didn't expect the Euro tour to act so quickly and decisively. Delighted they did.

Cam was clearly not ruling it out in his after match interview.

I'd have thought Stenson would have been a major coup for LIV - a Ryder cup captain defecting & the PR that would come from that more so than what he can bring to the tour in a competitive golf capacity, the sums of money are colossal, Pat Perez picked up just over $900k in Portland for finishing 34th but his team winning the team prize.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Will it ever end on July 17, 2022, 09:52:02 PM
Anyways .............. according to Jamie Weir - it sounds like our new Open champion is off to follow Greg Norman and the LIV lads along with fellow Aussies Adam Scott and Marc Leishman.

Stenson news is mad. When was he last competitive? I presume he didn't expect the Euro tour to act so quickly and decisively. Delighted they did.

I'd have thought Stenson would have been a major coup for LIV - a Ryder cup captain defecting & the PR that would come from that more so than what he can bring to the tour in a competitive golf capacity, the sums of money are colossal, Pat Perez picked up just over $900k in Portland for finishing 34th but his team winning the team prize.

the money is so outrageous they can't turn it down to play less and make more guaranteed

nobody would

lowry didn't rule it out, nor harrington

or all the top yanks bar woods and thomas (and mcilroy  ;D)

but they can afford to, others not so much

Will it ever end

I thought that was a bit blaise by McGinley, if it was the case why weren't the bigger hitters much closer to the pack & hitting -20 as a given.

Milltown Row2

McGinley woulda hit them sure  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Hit me this week how popular Rory is, with the crowd and commentators.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 06:59:42 PM
Quote from: Turf on July 17, 2022, 06:45:52 PM
Harrington still the only man from this island to win The Open twice.

That's great... still well behind Rory as the best Irish player

Don't worry about this lad. I've never had to bar anyone on social media til this fella. He has stalked me on all platforms. Clue: Laois, Liverpool, running, bit thick.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2022, 10:35:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 06:59:42 PM
Quote from: Turf on July 17, 2022, 06:45:52 PM
Harrington still the only man from this island to win The Open twice.

That's great... still well behind Rory as the best Irish player

Don't worry about this lad. I've never had to bar anyone on social media til this fella. He has stalked me on all platforms. Clue: Laois, Liverpool, running, bit thick.

Lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Turf

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 17, 2022, 09:55:15 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on July 17, 2022, 09:52:02 PM

the money is so outrageous they can't turn it down to play less and make more guaranteed

nobody would

lowry didn't rule it out, nor harrington

or all the top yanks bar woods and thomas (and mcilroy  ;D)

but they can afford to, others not so much
Harrington have a great interview about it at Mt Juillet. If I can find it I'll post it up. Basically said he didn't blame anyone for going to Liv. Reckons there is a place for it and doesn't fault anyone for going. Was the most sensible interview I've seen about it from a Golfer.

Turf

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 17, 2022, 06:09:07 PM
McGinley an odious individual. Can't hide his hate for Rory! Clown
Really? Is there a bad history between them or something? I like Mcginley. Met him once going into a match in Croke Park and he stood for pictures with my kid and was very nice.

Orior

Quote from: Turf on July 18, 2022, 07:25:39 AM
Really? Is there a bad history between them or something? I like Mcginley. Met him once going into a match in Croke Park and he stood for pictures with my kid and was very nice.

No, Walter is completely wrong on that one.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on July 18, 2022, 08:08:42 AM

McGinley is MCIlroy's biggest fan on Sky always waxing lyrical and talking him up. McIlroy is the best golfer this Island has produced, he is not a prime Tiger or the golfer for his generation, there are just so many golfers out there at that level. He has said himself that his game is set up for the PGA tour with long driving being key. His short game has improved but it is not at the level that can compete with Smith or Thomas if their short game is on. He will win another couple of majors but I can't see anyone repeating Tigers record. There are so many good golfers around now.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Orior on July 18, 2022, 08:08:42 AM

Listen to the clown. Always throwing digs at Rory!