The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

The lad is under 50 (i don't know him but looking at the presentation prize photo he looks under 50 with all his limbs in place).

I agree with the post that it should be age related.

Yes, it was strokes off the second hardest tees, with tough pins and still not much run on the ball as our place is getting fucked with the weather as they prefer to spend mega bucks on a new driving range and new bar than draining the course. The place was closed most of the winter so I'm reconsidering next year.

p.s. - its one of the toughest parkland courses in the country.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

thebigfella

These high handicaps make a strokes comp a farce if people can get away with throwing loads of doubles and trebles on the card and still be in contention. One destructive hole in strokes should punish your chances but we've had lad of 39 (and under the age of 30) winning a medal with a net 62. To put that in context, to equal that score I would need to shoot a gross 61  ::)  Although I'd like to hope i'd win on count back  ;)

The WHS didn't bring in the 54 max limit, it was already in before the introduction of the new handicap system. It just appears we have had the perfect storm with the WHS, new upper handicap limits and new people taking up the game over the last few years (driven by covid too); which in turn is leading to people getting these ridiculous handicaps. I'm not torn at all, no male under a certain age and able bodied should be playing above 28 and I'd argue it should be lower too. What other sport do you expect to be competitive without any effort to practice at all?

All this effort to make the game more inclusive has just done the opposite. We have done away with the overall prizes now in competitions now apart from majors; the club had previously done away with lowest gross prizes for non-majors as it was the same pool of players picking them up and was lots of whinging over that, so effectively that same pool of players boycotted weekly comps (as no point paying comp fees) and a few withdrew from inter club panels. Effectively now you have 3 different competitions for each of the handicap ranges, although I would like to see a class 24 and above as I think the last class is a bit unfair too.

The rules and WHS do allow clubs to enforce players to drop down to the max handicap for competitions and we've already discussed enforcing this in the club (for majors) from next season. Once we get a better idea of what handicap ranges the winners come from this season a decision will be made.

One thing we did bring in, you cannot win a major if you don't have 20 records on your handicap. Rather than saying you can't win them in your 1st season, it's much fairer compromise for new members.

highorlow

We brought in a 4th division / category, 22.5 and above are in it.

Clubs should make a rule if your the 4th division / category you cannot win a medal or a major competition. It's the only way I see of dealing with it and encourages high handicappers to get down to division 3.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mikhail Prokhorov

why not get rid of handicaps altogether?

it encourages people to not improve and doesn't reward players who practice and put in the time and effort to try and win prizes

or should everyone get a prize  ;D

Orior

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 31, 2022, 06:52:34 PM

it encourages people to not improve and doesn't reward players who practice and put in the time and effort to try and win prizes

Fair point. Golf is like sex. No matter how bad you are at it, you still enjoy it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on May 31, 2022, 08:42:08 PM

Fair point. Golf is like sex. No matter how bad you are at it, you still enjoy it.

I've hated golf this season as I'm playing shite. Haven't played in near 3 weeks now. Will head back out at the weekend for more torture though. Also, I'd be raging if a 39 handicap won a comp never mind an important one. He's bound to have been embarrassed winning with that many shots.

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on May 31, 2022, 08:50:29 PM

I've hated golf this season as I'm playing shite. Haven't played in near 3 weeks now. Will head back out at the weekend for more torture though. Also, I'd be raging if a 39 handicap won a comp never mind an important one. He's bound to have been embarrassed winning with that many shots.

Not a chance, he was delighted 🙄

We've had incidents in competition where guys have been improving their lies by tramping down rough or playing out of bounds etc.... lots of it from new people to golf or at least competitive golf. Lots of the scores coming in should be disqualified but hard to prove. Even had incidents of people playing outside the comp times and getting their mates who are playing as guests to sign the scorecards; or worse again people were playing on their own, submitting their own cards and signing on behalf of their mates.

My other club is an older and established membership with a waiting list. Any new members have to be proposed and seconded, so there is a lot of emphasis on the proposers to ensure the correct behaviour and etiquette. While I'm not a fan of all the pompous snobby shite around the place, there is a lot to be said for how they ensure new members are introduced to the club and informed of what is expected of them.

Gabriel_Hurl

42 names for the Saudi league have been unveiled

QuoteLIV Golf announces field for first event in London next week. Among the big names: Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Kevin Na, Lee Westwood, Louis Oosthuizen, Martin Kaymer, Charl Schwartzel, Graeme McDowell, Talor Gooch. Not listed: Phil Mickelson.

Kidder81

McDowells career been in a tailspin for a while so not surprised by him

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 01, 2022, 08:52:06 AM

Is it a hasbeen competition ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Havent been following too closely is Johnson not a big surprise? (And also still a major contender)

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2022, 09:57:51 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on June 01, 2022, 08:52:06 AM

Is it a hasbeen competition ?

For now it is. The next 18 months are crucial.

USPGA will likely exclude LIV players from their events (which means at least 2 majors) while they are in control of the balance of power.

Dustin Johnson is the only player this week who'd worry them about that balance.

If LiV can tap up that group of young American superstars who all hang around together, things would change quickly.

thewobbler

When you consider that DJ must be worth the best part of €100m, is risking millions in guaranteed sponsorship deals, would be pretty much guaranteed a strong 8 figures in prize money between now and he hits 50, and if bothered, could  tear the seniors tour for another €20m before he turns 60..... the money LiV are gauranteeing him must be truly eye watering.

trailer

Quote from: thebigfella on May 31, 2022, 10:33:36 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 31, 2022, 08:50:29 PM

Not a chance, he was delighted 🙄

We've had incidents in competition where guys have been improving their lies by tramping down rough or playing out of bounds etc.... lots of it from new people to golf or at least competitive golf. Lots of the scores coming in should be disqualified but hard to prove. Even had incidents of people playing outside the comp times and getting their mates who are playing as guests to sign the scorecards; or worse again people were playing on their own, submitting their own cards and signing on behalf of their mates.

My other club is an older and established membership with a waiting list. Any new members have to be proposed and seconded, so there is a lot of emphasis on the proposers to ensure the correct behaviour and etiquette. While I'm not a fan of all the pompous snobby shite around the place, there is a lot to be said for how they ensure new members are introduced to the club and informed of what is expected of them.

Should be in the WTF thread... Absolutely scandalous behaviour.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: thewobbler on June 01, 2022, 10:29:54 AMUSPGA will likely exclude LIV players from their events (which means at least 2 majors) while they are in control of the balance of power.

There's no entity called the USPGA. The USGA control the US Open. The PGA of America control the PGA Championship

Both separate and independent organizations from the PGA Tour. The PGA Tours top event is the Player's Championship.