Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 10:00:44 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 13, 2022, 09:02:15 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 08:59:22 AM
Best draw possible for Armagh, provides a realistic path of getting to AI final.

Why would you tempt fate like that. Go outside and turn around and spit 3 times immediately

Just saying it as it is and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. All 3 sides (Armagh, Derry & Galway) will see a massive opportunity to get to the final and I don't see much difference between any of them.

Clare probably think they have a chance also

Maroon Manc

If you'd have told me a few months ago that Armagh and likely Derry are in the way of Galway getting to a final I'd have been delighted and the same goes for Armagh. Bookies have them both even money although can see most neutrals will tip Armagh after the last 2 weeks.

Either way a great opportunity for Armagh, Derry or Galway to reach a final.

Gael80

Quote from: JoeSoap on June 13, 2022, 09:24:56 AM
Having seen Armagh and Derry up close (Armagh too many times unfortunately), I think Derry would win that potential semi-final matchup. I think Armagh play some lovely stuff but in my opinion Derry are cuter and are more than capable of sticking with Armagh physically. I also think McKaigue would swallow Rian O'Neill up and that is really Armagh's attack - as good as Armagh's forwards are in general, everything runs through O'Neill in terms of playmaking as well so if you nullify him they really struggle.

I also don't think Armagh have anyone that could live with the likes of Glass and Rodgers when they get going.

But really I may be over-egging Derry a bit. They just remind me of Donegal in 2011/12. I think they can go as far as they want to this year. They may come up short for Sam if they face Dublin as the Dubs are just so good at playing against the system Derry play now, but I think they can beat any other team left in the competition. It's all about their mindset now and in that regard I think Clare is the perfect draw for them because while Clare are clearly a very good side, I think Derry should beat them even if they're not fully tuned in.

Don't mean to discount Galway either, that quarter final is a toss-up really. I expect that to be the pick of the quarters, it should be a cracking game - 2 very similar teams in their talent and while Galway have gone defensive against Mayo for example, they're more than capable of playing the attacking expansive game. I don't know Galway's defenders too well, who would be earmarked for Rian O'Neill? For Armagh I would put Jarlath Óg on Shane Walsh to try and stick with him athletically and maybe force him back the other way. Forker will go on Comer I'm guessing.

Good post! Armagh and Galway is 50 50 and whilst Clare will likely bring a big performance you'd have to tip Derry. As for the semi finals how Derry cope on a big pitch against an all out attacking system would be interesting. They really struggled against Galway in the league when Galway pushed up.

The QF's have three very competitive games which will make for a good weekend of football.

Taylor

Quote from: Gael80 on June 13, 2022, 10:10:27 AM
Having seen Armagh and Derry up close (Armagh too many times unfortunately), I think Derry would win that potential semi-final matchup. I think Armagh play some lovely stuff but in my opinion Derry are cuter and are more than capable of sticking with Armagh physically. I also think McKaigue would swallow Rian O'Neill up and that is really Armagh's attack - as good as Armagh's forwards are in general, everything runs through O'Neill in terms of playmaking as well so if you nullify him they really struggle.

I also don't think Armagh have anyone that could live with the likes of Glass and Rodgers when they get going.

But really I may be over-egging Derry a bit. They just remind me of Donegal in 2011/12. I think they can go as far as they want to this year. They may come up short for Sam if they face Dublin as the Dubs are just so good at playing against the system Derry play now, but I think they can beat any other team left in the competition. It's all about their mindset now and in that regard I think Clare is the perfect draw for them because while Clare are clearly a very good side, I think Derry should beat them even if they're not fully tuned in.

Don't mean to discount Galway either, that quarter final is a toss-up really. I expect that to be the pick of the quarters, it should be a cracking game - 2 very similar teams in their talent and while Galway have gone defensive against Mayo for example, they're more than capable of playing the attacking expansive game. I don't know Galway's defenders too well, who would be earmarked for Rian O'Neill? For Armagh I would put Jarlath Óg on Shane Walsh to try and stick with him athletically and maybe force him back the other way. Forker will go on Comer I'm guessing.

Good post! Armagh and Galway is 50 50 and whilst Clare will likely bring a big performance you'd have to tip Derry. As for the semi finals how Derry cope on a big pitch against an all out attacking system would be interesting. They really struggled against Galway in the league when Galway pushed up.

The QF's have three very competitive games which will make for a good weekend of football.

Derry v Clare wont be competitive - Clare will be lucky to score 10 pts

Kerry V Mayo might be competitive for 50mins

The only guaranteed competitive game will be Galway v Armagh

Gael80

Quote from: Taylor on June 13, 2022, 10:13:30 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 13, 2022, 10:10:27 AM

Derry v Clare wont be competitive - Clare will be lucky to score 10 pts

Kerry V Mayo might be competitive for 50mins

The only guaranteed competitive game will be Galway v Armagh

All opinions but remember Clare have been together a long time, have a settled system and share Division 2 with Derry. Derry are favourites and should win but I doubt it'll be all one way.

Manning18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 13, 2022, 10:09:29 AM
If you'd have told me a few months ago that Armagh and likely Derry are in the way of Galway getting to a final I'd have been delighted and the same goes for Armagh. Bookies have them both even money although can see most neutrals will tip Armagh after the last 2 weeks.

Either way a great opportunity for Armagh, Derry or Galway to reach a final.

That doesn't stop it being an utter disaster though that once you've done the hard spadework and won Connacht (in full knowledge that you'll be rewarded with the easier side of the draw), that you end up with the nuclear option from 3, Cork, Clare or Armagh. It'll give fair momentum if they get over it but it's hard not to be cursing our luck just a tad this morning

imtommygunn

It's an interesting tie. That Clare manager deserves a lot of credit.

tbrick18

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 13, 2022, 10:07:29 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 10:00:44 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 13, 2022, 09:02:15 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 13, 2022, 08:59:22 AM
Best draw possible for Armagh, provides a realistic path of getting to AI final.

Why would you tempt fate like that. Go outside and turn around and spit 3 times immediately

Just saying it as it is and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. All 3 sides (Armagh, Derry & Galway) will see a massive opportunity to get to the final and I don't see much difference between any of them.

Clare probably think they have a chance also

Clare will be happy with the draw too I'd expect.
Derry beat them in the league but it wasn't an easy game..
Derry slight favourite for it I'd have thought.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

118k in the whole of Clare and going far in both codes.

Ithcy take note

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 13, 2022, 10:28:37 AM
118k in the whole of Clare and going far in both codes.

Ithcy take note
Fair play to Clare.

tiempo

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Armagh avoided Kerry, Dublin that was the main hope in the draw. Real live opportunity to reach the All-Ireland final and no doubt Derry and Galway will be thinking the same. The winner should come from the other side of the draw.

Dublin v Cork with be turkey shoot. Derry should beat Clare as comfortable as the league encounter. I doubt Kerry or Mayo wanted that draw.

naka

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 13, 2022, 11:06:13 AM
Armagh avoided Kerry, Dublin that was the main hope in the draw. Real live opportunity to reach the All-Ireland final and no doubt Derry and Galway will be thinking the same. The winner should come from the other side of the draw.

Dublin v Cork with be turkey shoot. Derry should beat Clare as comfortable as the league encounter. I doubt Kerry or Mayo wanted that draw.
derry, galway and Armagh all looking at an ireland final appearance here.
Derry might be the best equipped to win through but will be interesting to see how they cope with the expanses of Croke Park but they are probably the most talented in this side of teh draw.
as an armagh man it was the game i wanted simply because it will be a shoot-out and both teams will go for it(Ii also can`t ever forget  the 2001qualifier when we pulled it back to a draw only to lose with the last kick of the game)

Taylor

Entertainment wise Galway v Armagh will be the one everyone wants to see.

The problem both teams face is that they then come up against Derry who will smother both of them.