Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Thought that, so all this about Tyrone or armagh definitely playing donegal is nonsense.

balladmaker

Cavan and Fermanagh might not think it's nonsense :-)

Armagh18

Quote from: An Watcher on May 31, 2022, 09:15:38 AM
Thought that, so all this about Tyrone or armagh definitely playing donegal is nonsense.
Tongue in cheek! IF we get over Tyrone, part of me would love another chance at Donegal at some point, but would love someone different as sick looking at Ulster teams to be honest!

Gael80

The GAA have to go with the draw, but if they were honest my guess is they'd prefer Clare, Meath, Cork, Louth, Limerick and Kildare to be one side of the draw with two of those playing Dublin and Kerry. They want the big All Ireland Semi Final and the less potential barriers to that the better.

That would leave Tyrone, Armagh, Mayo, Monaghan, Donegal and Roscommon on the other side with two playing Galway and Derry. That way also means it's unlikely two teams from the same province would play the All Ireland Final.

What combination they'd prefer in Round 2 or QF's probably doesn't matter.

Now obviously they'd want those sides but the draw might throw up something different 🙂

Estimator

Avoiding repeat pairings in the QFs might be quite difficult, depending on results.

Repeat Fixtures:
Derry v Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal
Galway v Mayo, Roscommon
Dublin v Kildare, Meath
Kerry v Cork, Limerick

Though, given the previous league and championship performances you'd suggest that Meath, Cork and Limerick would need a really favorable draw to make it to the qfs.  So Kerry probably won't have any other Munster representatives in the QF, Dublin could still have Kildare. And depending on results and the nature of the fixtures, Galway could have two and Derry could have 3 teams that they have already faced.

Ulster League Champions 2009

GAABoardMod5

I'm hearing through the grapevine that HQ want the quarter-final draw to be the same outline as the semi-final draw, that is, Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster, with winners of one province playing the beaten finalist in the other (same as the minor draw).

Meaning the draw is:

Derry v Roscommon or Clare, unless Monaghan or Tyrone beat Roscommon

Galway v Donegal or Armagh, unless Mayo beat Donegal

Dublin v Limerick or Cork , unless Meath beat Limerick

Kerry v Kildare or Mayo , unless Cork beat Kildare.

What happens if one or more of the "unless" things happens is anyone's guess at this stage - will see how it looks after this weekends games and the draw, I suppose.

Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what I heard and want to get it out there before any conspiracy theories start.

Edit: I think I have the "unless" parts correct on avoiding repeat fixtures...remember beaten provincial finalist can't meet each other, so Donegal can't meet Roscommon so Donegal v Derry cannot recur, same way Galway and Roscommon cannot recur.  Edit 2: Likewise, Kildare can't meet Limerick.

Or am I getting my explanation all wrong?

Edit 3 to reflect June 4 results: Monaghan and Meath out.
Edit 4: Tyrone out
Edit 5:  Getting clearer now...

Armagh18

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 01, 2022, 02:04:47 AM
I'm hearing through the grapevine that HQ want the quarter-final draw to be the same outline as the semi-final draw, that is, Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster, with winners of one province playing the beaten finalist in the other (same as the minor draw).

Meaning the draw is:

Derry v Roscommon*, unless Monaghan or Tyrone beat Roscommon

Galway v Donegal*, unless Mayo beat Donegal

Dublin v Limerick*, unless Meath beat Limerick

Kerry v Kildare*, unless Cork beat Kildare.

* = or the team that beats them

What happens if one or more of the "unless" things happens is anyone's guess at this stage - will see how it looks after this weekends games and the draw, I suppose.

Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what I heard and want to get it out there before any conspiracy theories start.

Edit: I think I have the "unless" parts correct on avoiding repeat fixtures...remember beaten provincial finalist can't meet each other, so Donegal can't meet Roscommon so Donegal v Derry cannot recur, same way Galway and Roscommon cannot recur.  Edit 2: Likewise, Kildare can't meet Limerick.

Good to see Armagh out already ;).

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 01, 2022, 07:32:03 AM

Meaning the draw is:

Good to see Armagh out already ;).

Read it again and show where Armagh are out.  Armagh doesn't get mentioned as there is no scenario where they are involved that will disrupt the QF fixtures.

There are no restrictions mentioned for the Rd 2 games, so Armagh can meet Donegal again.  Then again, it would be typical of HQ to change the Rd 2 draw to eliminate such repeating fixtures.

Or would you prefer the sentence:  Derry v Roscommon or the team that beats them, unless it's Monaghan or Tyrone that beat Roscommon.

Gael80

Meaning the draw is:

Yes makes sense, also refer to my post above, I wasn't sure if the GAA would formally plan the QF match ups, leave it open to chance whilst hoping the draw would go the way they'd like in a ideal world.

Whilst it won't offically be said it is very unlikely the GAA would want Tyrone or Donegal in particular to be playing Dublin or Kerry in an All Ireland QF. That would potentially put the big All Ireland Semi Final at risk and would also open up the possibility of an All Ulster All Ireland Final when they might prefer two provinces involved.

If Round 2 and QF draw is left to a complete open draw those things could of course happen. Time will tell after this weekend games and how the GAA react.

Armagh18

Quote from: Gael80 on June 01, 2022, 05:19:52 PM

Meaning the draw is:

Yes makes sense, also refer to my post above, I wasn't sure if the GAA would formally plan the QF draw, leave it open to chance whilst hoping the draw would go the way they'd like in a ideal world.

Whilst it won't offically be said it is very unlikely the GAA would want Tyrone or Donegal in particular to be playing Dublin or Kerry in an All Ireland QF. That would potentially put the big All Ireland Semi Final at risk and would also open up a possibility of an All Ulster All Ireland Final when they might prefer two provinces involved.

If Round 2 and QF draw is left to a complete open draw those things could of course happen. Time will tell after this weekend games and how the GAA react.
Could you imagine! Spillanes head would explode.

Redhand Santa

What logic could they use for deliberately placing say Donegal onto the same side of the draw as Derry? Surely if you were doing anything you would be putting Donegal on the opposite side so you can't have a repeat pairing at the semi final stage.

yellowcard

I'm going to predict Armagh, Clare, Cork and Mayo to come through round 1 of the qualifiers.

Who would then face Donegal, Kildare, Limerick or Roscommon. All of the round one winners will be hoping to draw Limerick whilst the beaten provincial finalists all have a 50% chance of facing a division 2 team. There is still the prospect of at least three division 2 teams ending up in the quarter finals. 

Eire90

was just thinking do you think there is a good chance not one of the  four losing provincial finalists make the last 8 has that happened before.

Rossfan

2010 all Provincial winners* lost Qtr Finals.

* Meath represented Leinster that year ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

I think Kerry and Dublin have a good chance of meeting Tyrone/ Armagh. Mayo/Monaghan.