Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

What will be interesting is finding out whether or not Ulster is on the slide.

Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan were on a downward spiral this year, Donegal probably the latest to join the slide this year. They seemed on their last legs against Derry.

We don't really know how good Armagh and Derry are. Derry won't find out until the semis. Armagh will find out in the quarter.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JoeSoap

Quote from: ONeill on June 13, 2022, 11:25:00 AM

Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan were on a downward spiral this year, Donegal probably the latest to join the slide this year. They seemed on their last legs against Derry.

We don't really know how good Armagh and Derry are. Derry won't find out until the semis. Armagh will find out in the quarter.

That's a good point as well, I feel Ulster is pretty strong and I actually think the Tyrone All-Ireland win made Derry and Armagh think "why not". The fact Donegal and Monaghan didn't take advantage this year is an indictment on them but I suppose if Derry and Armagh go out without giving a good account of themselves, it would put the Ulster championship into perspective.

However I've a funny feeling Tyrone last year will be a bit like Down in '91. Maybe won't be an Ulster winner this year but I expect an Ulster finalist.

full moon

Quote from: Taylor on June 13, 2022, 11:20:23 AM
Entertainment wise Galway v Armagh will be the one everyone wants to see.

The problem both teams face is that they then come up against Derry who will smother both of them.
It's more difficult to do what Derry do in Croke Park

Wildweasel74

Derry have the best defence of the 3,  but simply don't have the best forwards in the county playing for them to rattle Armagh or Galway. Worry about Clare first, we struggled to beat them in Ennis

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Gael80 on June 13, 2022, 10:16:38 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 13, 2022, 10:13:30 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 13, 2022, 10:10:27 AM
Quote from: JoeSoap on June 13, 2022, 09:24:56 AM
Having seen Armagh and Derry up close (Armagh too many times unfortunately), I think Derry would win that potential semi-final matchup. I think Armagh play some lovely stuff but in my opinion Derry are cuter and are more than capable of sticking with Armagh physically. I also think McKaigue would swallow Rian O'Neill up and that is really Armagh's attack - as good as Armagh's forwards are in general, everything runs through O'Neill in terms of playmaking as well so if you nullify him they really struggle.

I also don't think Armagh have anyone that could live with the likes of Glass and Rodgers when they get going.

But really I may be over-egging Derry a bit. They just remind me of Donegal in 2011/12. I think they can go as far as they want to this year. They may come up short for Sam if they face Dublin as the Dubs are just so good at playing against the system Derry play now, but I think they can beat any other team left in the competition. It's all about their mindset now and in that regard I think Clare is the perfect draw for them because while Clare are clearly a very good side, I think Derry should beat them even if they're not fully tuned in.

Don't mean to discount Galway either, that quarter final is a toss-up really. I expect that to be the pick of the quarters, it should be a cracking game - 2 very similar teams in their talent and while Galway have gone defensive against Mayo for example, they're more than capable of playing the attacking expansive game. I don't know Galway's defenders too well, who would be earmarked for Rian O'Neill? For Armagh I would put Jarlath Óg on Shane Walsh to try and stick with him athletically and maybe force him back the other way. Forker will go on Comer I'm guessing.

Good post! Armagh and Galway is 50 50 and whilst Clare will likely bring a big performance you'd have to tip Derry. As for the semi finals how Derry cope on a big pitch against an all out attacking system would be interesting. They really struggled against Galway in the league when Galway pushed up.

The QF's have three very competitive games which will make for a good weekend of football.

Derry v Clare wont be competitive - Clare will be lucky to score 10 pts

Kerry V Mayo might be competitive for 50mins

The only guaranteed competitive game will be Galway v Armagh

All opinions but remember Clare have been together a long time, have a settled system and share Division 2 with Derry. Derry are favourites and should win but I doubt it'll be all one way.

Clare would need another high score like Saturdays 2-15 but that said more about Roscommon who hadn't improved at all from the Connacht final  where they gave Comer, Finnerty and Walsh the freedom of Pearse Stadium to cause damage.

Clare only scored 1-11 against Meath. 1-14 v Limerick in 70 minutes and  had low scores in a number of their league games this year. Derry have upped their intensity to a different level from the league but will the four week lay off hit their momentum and will they become complacent with this draw?

As for Kerry V Mayo for 50mins it will look like Kerry will run away with it only for Mayo to come alive in the final quarter l. Expect chaos in that game once more.

Armagh18

The problem both teams face is that they then come up against Derry who will smother both of them.
Derrys defensive game doesn't work as well in Croker. If we get over Galway I'd say we'd relish a go at Derry in the semi.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 13, 2022, 11:46:42 AM

Derrys defensive game doesn't work as well in Croker. If we get over Galway I'd say we'd relish a go at Derry in the semi.

How so?

JoeSoap

People are making a lot of assumptions about Derry's defensive game and Croke Park. If they are tuned into it mentally and realise the opportunity ahead of them, the system will look after itself.

Wildweasel74

Pitch is 2m longer and a metre wider, how much of a difference that makes am unsure.

Wildweasel74

Think u lads need worry about Galway first,instead of what Derry do, as Derry be focusing on Clare, nobody else.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 13, 2022, 11:53:51 AM
Pitch is 2m longer and a metre wider, how much of a difference that makes am unsure.

Croke park and Owenbeg have the same dimensions.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 13, 2022, 11:55:33 AM
Think u lads need worry about Galway first,instead of what Derry do, as Derry be focusing on Clare, nobody else.
Agreed. Some opportunity for all 4 sides now.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on June 13, 2022, 11:25:00 AM

Leinster (only 1 county) is the dominant predator. If Derry or Armagh or both take an unmerciful beating that won't do either any good  and would turn the year into a write off.
The GAA created Frankenstein.

thejuice

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 13, 2022, 08:43:01 AM
Juice / mod, u got sthing to tell us, mystic Meg.

I better play the lotto tonight!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on June 13, 2022, 11:37:05 AM

It's more difficult to do what Derry do in Croke Park

How much smaller is the pitch at Clones to Croke?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea