China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Not sure there is much point following the current approach any more.

1. Contact tracing is completely out the window.
2. Lateral flows are essentially useless (given how transmissible Omicron is, something that works anywhere between 50-85% of the time is hopeless)
3. The PCR system doesn't have sufficient capacity to respond to the volume of tests in timely manner.
4. Many people are asymptomatic and don't realise they need to test never mind isolate (exacerbated by point 1)
5. Soon, that many people will have it - who exactly is being protected via isolation of a few individuals carrying it?

Probably need to flip it around.
1. Who are most vulnerable*? [or more likely to end up in ICU]
2. What are their interfaces?
3. Test, test, test those interface points to slow down infection rate to that vulnerable cohort.

*aside from the anti-vax brigade. Just leave them on a gurney outside the back door of the hospital. Turf them onto the ground if the gurney is needed. If the recommendations of medical professionals aren't sufficient for vaccines, why are they deemed sufficient for treatment after contraction?
i usse an speelchekor

RedHand88

Just to add to your point on contact tracing. A family member got a text from them the other day to say she was a close contact on April 3rd 2021.

Really.

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 05, 2022, 10:24:03 PM
Just to add to your point on contact tracing. A family member got a text from them the other day to say she was a close contact on April 3rd 2021.

Really.

:o ;D

Jim Bob

Handy way to get off work for  a week.
Tell your boss you've had a positive  LFT...

Gmac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 05, 2022, 10:13:57 PM

2. Lateral flows are essentially useless (given how transmissible Omicron is, something that works anywhere between 50-85% of the time is hopeless)
3. The PCR system doesn't have sufficient capacity to respond to the volume of tests in timely manner.
4. Many people are asymptomatic and don't realise they need to test never mind isolate (exacerbated by point 1)
5. Soon, that many people will have it - who exactly is being protected via isolation of a few individuals carrying it?

3. Test, test, test those interface points to slow down infection rate to that vulnerable cohort.

*aside from the anti-vax brigade. Just leave them on a gurney outside the back door of the hospital. Turf them onto the ground if the gurney is needed. If the recommendations of medical professionals aren't sufficient for vaccines, why are they deemed sufficient for treatment after contraction?
what's the difference between an unvaccinated and a vaccinated person with Covid in an icu at the moment  ? Any smoker or drinker should be denied medical care with rationale like that , says it will kill you on the box or bottle but you did it anyway. The Covid obedient only satisfaction is seeing the disobedient punished.

seafoid

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 05, 2022, 10:41:49 PM

In a limited ICU capacity world with a variant that was more transmissible and more lethal than Delta, some very hard choices would have to be made.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2022, 08:36:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2022, 08:27:42 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2022, 08:25:06 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2022, 07:24:20 PM
Looks like the squeeze is being put on isolation times and that seems like a natural progression.

The move to using LFTs instead of PCR as proof of Covid could see a few rogue results at opportune times.

Lfts are unreliable, my nephew got negative lfts directly before and after postive Pcr

I know plenty who had lateral which was positive, they did another one and it was positive and eventually went for a PCR, guess what? It was positive, crazy

Ach come on , the point is we all probably know cases like I've pointed out which will lead to cases slipping through more often with today's reduced restrictions.
I think we just need to hope that this Omicron is much less serious. I think govt are gambling on that with the data they already have
Covid is out of control. Luckily Omicron is less lethal than Delta but that has nothing to.do with us.

Itchy

Quote from: Sportacus on January 05, 2022, 09:49:13 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 05, 2022, 09:41:01 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 05, 2022, 05:24:39 PM
Absenteeism at work at 30% since we started back. I heard on news 8k teachers out with covid out of 27k nationwide in Republic which is also around 30%. Expected to get worse so not sure how the country stays open in these circumstances.
Crazy. Really need to stop testing people who aren't sick and get rid of isolating altogether.
30% is very high. Any idea is that workplace transmission or a work party?

There is no work place transmission in those numbers. Its all coming from the Christmas break. It seems if this thing is in a house, everyone in the house goes down. Also, in the data I am looking at it is hard to see that the booster has had any effect in terms of catching it or not catching it. I thought it was high myself but then I saw that 8k teachers in primary school wouldnt be at work today and a quick google tells me there are 27k primary teachers in the 26 counties, so thats around 30% too. My kids go back to school today, 6 teacher school and ALL the teachers are out with COVID, 6 subs in today and tomorrow. Any its going to get worse before it gets better. Not sure how the country can stay open the way we are doing it.

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 05, 2022, 10:13:57 PM

Yip I think this is the only way, but politically it is not a nice message to deliver. They could try be honest and explain to people where we are. My bet is they wheel out Nphet in the south to do the dirty work for them.

Itchy

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 05, 2022, 10:41:49 PM

Unfortunately that is the case for a minority of people. We cant ask them to even prove they took a test, went for a test or whether it was positive or negative. If you have 3 in your house you could be getting weeks off as a close contact if you time the thing right. There will always be people who manipulate the situation.

Tyrdub

Tested positive this morning, the 2 girls tested positive yesterday, couldn't have come at a worse time. I have 3 semester exams in the next week, eldest has A-Levels starting on Tuesday.
Only good thing is herself tested negative so we're all getting looked after

seafoid

I spoke to our local doctor. He said he is seeing rates of 30% positive in testing. Thankfully not that many end up in ICU.

Franko

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 01, 2022, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2022, 09:30:30 PM
Why bother getting one vaccine or even two? The booster isn't going to produce another head!

Because the  double vaccine clearly at this stage has worked against a seemingly more dangerous variant. Omicron doesn't seem as serious but that may change.
The booster doesn't seem to be needed if we look at the early data to keep you out of hospital. Nobody in their right mind would just take a vaccine just fir the sake of it.  If things change I'll get it. But for now I'm happy with 2jabs and immunity from my last infection.
Think that's reasonable and sensible. I'm very aware of pressure on NHS staff as priority atm.

Change things any?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59840524

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on January 06, 2022, 01:32:03 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 01, 2022, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 01, 2022, 09:30:30 PM
Why bother getting one vaccine or even two? The booster isn't going to produce another head!

Because the  double vaccine clearly at this stage has worked against a seemingly more dangerous variant. Omicron doesn't seem as serious but that may change.
The booster doesn't seem to be needed if we look at the early data to keep you out of hospital. Nobody in their right mind would just take a vaccine just fir the sake of it.  If things change I'll get it. But for now I'm happy with 2jabs and immunity from my last infection.
Think that's reasonable and sensible. I'm very aware of pressure on NHS staff as priority atm.

Change things any?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59840524

This part of the MSM agenda, don't fall for the lies.

Now if some social media grifter or blogger calling themselves a journalist, well it would be a game changer.

imtommygunn

A mere 6800 odd cases up north today. Progress?

Hospital, inpatients at least, numbers seemed to be down a bit which is good. 4 deaths  :(