New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Trying to sell a relative s car but have no idea what its value is.
Is there a reliable website I can find out it's value ?

Saffrongael

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 18, 2022, 11:15:11 PM
Trying to sell a relative s car but have no idea what its value is.
Is there a reliable website I can find out it's value ?

Used Cars NI
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 18, 2022, 11:05:34 PM
My car is just past 3 years old and out of warranty now. Just wondering if I should persist with the dealer services (to get the electronic service history logged) or just go to a local mechanic? Dealer is £350 odd, local man obviously a lot cheaper. How big of a factor to the car value in the future is having the dealer service history versus paper bill/receipt? from local fella
I'd never pay the dealer service outside warranty. Plenty of good VAT registered mechanics about will do the work for much less. I honestly don't think you'll recoup any more at private resale when paying 350 for a dealer service vs 150 at a local mechanic.

Jim Bob

Car services like changing oil , brake pads etc are very straight forward jobs for mechanics. You can pay a man 50 quid an hour to do that job in a big dealer garage or you can pay him to do the same job in the garage at the side of his house a that evening for alot cheaper
I buy genuine parts from the dealer and take them to my mechanic for him to fit. Any mechanic can stamp a service book if they are vat registered

Jim Bob

Woke up this morning to find that my car insurance had automatically renewed.
Forgot to contact them to cancel the renewal when I got email few weeks ago.
Am I tied in to this or does the cooling off period hold here?
Automatic renewals a real pain.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 20, 2022, 08:49:06 AM

Think you have x amount of days to change still. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

You should have 14 days I think

Jim Bob

Got in touch with the company. Cancelled and will refund. No mention of admin fee even.

armaghniac

This is one case where autmatic renewals might not be a pain. If you had just forgotten to renew and headed off driving today with no insurance then you would be glad of automatic renewal. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim Bob

Quote from: armaghniac on July 20, 2022, 01:15:41 PM

This is one case where autmatic renewals might not be a pain. If you had just forgotten to renew and headed off driving today with no insurance then you would be glad of automatic renewal.

True but renewal prices tend to be quite expensive. Think companies hope that customers just let it go for handiness sake

TabClear

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 20, 2022, 01:31:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 20, 2022, 01:15:41 PM

True but renewal prices tend to be quite expensive. Think companies hope that customers just let it go for handiness sake

They have tried to bring this practice to an end.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/dec/30/landmark-uk-insurance-shakeup-poised-to-benefit-loyal-customers

You still should shop around but impact now much less

bigarsedkeeper

Has anyone made the shift to electric cars and what's your advice on it?

Been thinking about going that way for a while for the wife's car but not sure what to do. Don't see the point in the lexus/toyota type hybrid at the minute but maybe the plug in hybrid type would be better. Couple of family members have the Kia Nero and Sportage and seem to be happy with them.

Don't have the cash for a Tesla but had looked at some of the VW electric cars. Don't know anyone with them though.

Turf

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 21, 2022, 10:38:43 AM

Been thinking about going that way for a while for the wife's car but not sure what to do. Don't see the point in the lexus/toyota type hybrid at the minute but maybe the plug in hybrid type would be better. Couple of family members have the Kia Nero and Sportage and seem to be happy with them.

Don't have the cash for a Tesla but had looked at some of the VW electric cars. Don't know anyone with them though.
I have a Kia XCeed plug in hybrid. It's a work company car so didn't buy it but I find it great. Get about 50km range on the electric charge.

thebigfella

Main car been electric for quite a while. Having a the charger at the house is not a necessity in Dublin but in the country it will be a must; sometimes on longer journeys you just need to plan to top up charge (15 mins or so) but you'd be stopping on those anyway at some point for a break. I'd go all in on EV vs Hybrid TBH.

The ID3 is fantastic for the price and makes great sense as a company car as will be BIK exempt (for time being). It's a bit basic on the interior so hard to jump to that from a model s and taycan but it depends on what you need from a 2nd car (SUV for kids etc..). Hyundai EVs are great and you get a hell of a car for the money but might be a bit more than the budget allows.

Good luck on getting an EV though at the moment  ;)

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Turf on July 21, 2022, 11:27:00 AM

I have a Kia XCeed plug in hybrid. It's a work company car so didn't buy it but I find it great. Get about 50km range on the electric charge.
The wife does about 60km/38miles to work and back and was thinking it would suit her better, but I actually do less. It's just the constant in and out to kids sports that would kill it for me. I like the idea of the petrol engine as back up.