Poll: Yards or Metres, which sound better?

Started by Jaysus, September 10, 2016, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If yards and metres were exactly the same, which would you prefer in GAA?

Yards
Metres

weareros

More important, what's the right metric for misses:

Missed by inches
Wide as a gate
Yards wide
Miles wide

I don't think I ever heard a commentator say he missed by a meter.
And of course a player that wintered well is always carrying a few extra pounds.

OgraAnDun

twohands!!!

Remember hearing one of the RTE commentators in the last few weeks going on about the ref bringing the ball forward more than 10 yards.

Of course he did you tullip, the distance is 13 metres.

armaghniac

The GAA should rid itself of imperial crap. It is ridiculous when programmes have stones and whatever and no indication of the weight of the player in rational units. Most of the players weren't born when the field measurements were changed, why keep this nonsense?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2022, 09:58:10 PM
The GAA should rid itself of imperial crap. It is ridiculous when programmes have stones and whatever and no indication of the weight of the player in rational units. Most of the players weren't born when the field measurements were changed, why keep this nonsense?
Don't agree with you there tbh, if you tell me someone is 6 foot 2 and 15 stone i know hes a big lump of man.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 16, 2022, 10:00:16 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2022, 09:58:10 PM
Don't agree with you there tbh, if you tell me someone is 6 foot 2 and 15 stone i know hes a big lump of man.
Agreed. Although less of the big lump (I wish I was only 15 stone  :'()

Wildweasel74

Last few programmes had no height or weight, not even sure they had occupation.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: weareros on May 16, 2022, 08:20:29 PM
More important, what's the right metric for misses:

Missed by inches
Wide as a gate
Yards wide
Miles wide

I don't think I ever heard a commentator say he missed by a meter.
And of course a player that wintered well is always carrying a few extra pounds.

I knew a fella who would always shout "Wide as a duck's arse"
Hasta la victoria siempre