Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Main Street on May 18, 2015, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2015, 10:04:26 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 18, 2015, 09:51:33 AM
To clear up one thing - the talk on here and suggestions on RTE that Cavanagh tried to get Gallagher sent off were completely inaccurate. Before the tv caught the incident Gallagher had grabbed Cavanagh three times by the throat. Then he walked behind him and tried to twist his arm which then turned into a pulling match. The only thing the ref and linesmen got wrong was that Cavanagh never should have been booked. I hate when refs/linesmen cop out and book both players when one is clearly only defending themselves.

Not a fan of Cavanagh due to his diving but in this incident he was completely innocent.
He is never completely innocent, he just wasn't fully guilty in that incident. I thought it was a 50/50, it took off when Cavanagh overreacted to a touch from Gallagher.
By that stage of the game Cavanagh  was overwrought/out of control.
Just after that (or was it just before?) , he made a desperate dolphin like attempt to win a free kick, right in front of Joe's nose. Any ref would have taken that as personal insult directed  to his intelligence. And soon after that, he copped a very soft 2nd card.
Maybe McQuillan could have exercised discretion in that incident and just had harsh words with Sean, pour a bucket of ice water over him.

Overall, I though McQuillan did well in difficult circumstances.

That was brilliant.
Reminded me of the end of Free Willy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

I guess compared to other counties we are at disadvantage in the sledging stakes since we don't have that many hills or get much snow in Meath.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Redhand Santa

Quote from: screenexile on May 18, 2015, 12:32:57 PM
I think that's it from Tyrone. . . they'll not challenge any of the bigger teams.

They were under so much pressure to win that game and the Half Time nonsense proved it. They don't have the players they once did and they fought tooth and nail for everything yesterday but still couldn't get over the line. In fairness Donegal were never really in trouble after their goal in the first half.

For someone to say Tyrone would beat Dublin is laughable. They would get beat out the gate and no amount of close league games over the last few years is going to frighten anybody!!

The width of a cross bar saved Donegal at the end. Tyrone had 3 goal chances and were on top. A slow start cost us the game but they gave Donegal plenty of problems. We had 4 players playing at some point yesterday who were making their championship debuts. A few others such as Tierney and McAliskey have only made very limited championship games. I've no doubt if the effort is put in the team can build on yesterday. Hopefully a few more of the u21s can come in - the boys who played yesterday were only back in the panel 2 weeks so not surprising they struggled yesterday but could well improve. A fit Joe McMahon and Clarke would add a bit more power.

It was me who mentioned Dublin and I didn't say we'd beat them. I said I'd be more scared of Donegal than Dublin. Given our recent record versus Dublin and the fact Donegal hammered them in last years championship would suggest the comment wasn't that stupid.

Canalman

What "recent record versus Dublin " are you referring to?

Redhand Santa

The 4 league games in the last 3 years in which no more than a point has separated the teams either way. This included a league final. If anything Dublin nearly do better in the league than championship. Are you annoyed that I've stated from a Tyrone point of view I'd be more worried about playing Donegal in the championship than Dublinb?

redhandefender

You are  spot on, would rather face the dubs over Donegal any day. Donegal have our number

AZOffaly

redhanddefender? Is that not a bit of a contentious name?

AhNowRef

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on May 17, 2015, 05:42:12 PM
Woo hoo, great result, justice for the game of gaelic football,  the most cynical and dirtiest team to ever play the game are out, hopefully the media will rightly slate them tomorrow for what they are.

;D ;D  ;D

Are you on your period or what ?

INDIANA

Quote from: Canalman on May 18, 2015, 02:31:04 PM

They can't refer to a recent record because they haven't got one . Donegal could beat Dublin - Tyrone haven't the players to do it. Sledging wouldn't be enough either.

Dublin have won 2 out of the last 4 all Ireland titles. The only people who can remember Tyrones last win is Tyrone.

Canalman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 18, 2015, 02:43:14 PM
The 4 league games in the last 3 years in which no more than a point has separated the teams either way. This included a league final. If anything Dublin nearly do better in the league than championship. Are you annoyed that I've stated from a Tyrone point of view I'd be more worried about playing Donegal in the championship than Dublinb?

Nope.

From the Bunker

Quote from: thejuice on May 18, 2015, 01:39:10 PM
I guess compared to other counties we are at disadvantage in the sledging stakes since we don't have that many hills or get much snow in Meath.

Lack of hills or snow never held ye back in the past, doubt it's going to stop ye now?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2015, 02:54:06 PM

They can't refer to a recent record because they haven't got one . Donegal could beat Dublin - Tyrone haven't the players to do it. Sledging wouldn't be enough either.

Dublin have won 2 out of the last 4 all Ireland titles. The only people who can remember Tyrones last win is Tyrone.

Dublin have won less All Irelands in the last 12 years than Tyrone, I think that's getting to you Indiana. It might not be this year but over the next few years we'll be back challenging again at the top and causing the Dubs plenty of problems.

screenexile

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 18, 2015, 03:01:54 PM

Dublin have won less All Irelands in the last 12 years than Tyrone, I think that's getting to you Indiana. It might not be this year but over the next few years we'll be back challenging again at the top and causing the Dubs plenty of problems.

CLASSIC!!!!

You do know Dublin have won 24 All Irelands compared to Tyrone's 3?! There was football before 2003 y'know!!

They've also won 3 out of the last 6 Under 21s compared to Tyrone's 1. . . Keep it up this is great stuff!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: screenexile on May 18, 2015, 03:24:47 PM

CLASSIC!!!!

You do know Dublin have won 24 All Irelands compared to Tyrone's 3?! There was football before 2003 y'know!!

They've also won 3 out of the last 6 Under 21s compared to Tyrone's 1. . . Keep it up this is great stuff!

We've still won more this millenium than they have - no point in dealing with ancient history. Some of their supporters on here have an awful chip on their shoulder for whatever reason. They seem to think teams shouldn't play with tactics and let them run all ove you. For god sake Ciaran Whelan and the boys were giving out because we sent Justy McMahon out to try and limit and Murphys influence on the game. I've no idea how anyone could have watched yesterdays game and said it was anything other than a good championship tussle by two very committed teams in poor conditions.

INDIANA

You'll need a lot more then one all u21 Ireland title. I don't see the optimism . You'd a number of brilliant players on the 2003-2008. This team outside Harte and Mc Curry is just average. Donegal were absolutely comfortable yesterday and really it was old age that gave Tyrone a chance more then anything.
It was an improved Tyrone performance but it's indicative of how far they've fallen that a 3 point defeat is seen as a moral victory. Teams that can't score heavy don't win anything