Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I thought it was a good game, Donegal got some great scores and I was really impressed with the work rate of Neil Gallagher. Donegal used the ball more effectively and looked like they had the winning of it in them even when Tyrone closed the gap.

Tyrone are lacking the necessary talent up front to be real contenders.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

Sledging is nothing new nor do I agree with it or condone it. When northern teams would be lining up for Amhran na bhFiann, some "southern" players from "southern"  teams would regularly try to wind them up by asking them when their anthem was going to be played, calling them British basatards, go back to England and you'd have nothing up there were it not for the Queen etc etc. I emphasise that only some players would do this. Same on all teams. To broad brush a whole team or a whole region of players is just trying to generalise, is lazy and is completely wrong. So fair is fair.

And for Indy to come on and say that Harte made a quote in 2000 about it being a Tyrone tactic and that he "trains" his teams in sledging etc is again insulting and way way off the mark and very disappointing. All teams will have players that will take things up to the line and even over it on occasion, but please don't label them all.

If you wanted to, you could probably look back over time and select certain players from most counties who engaged in a certain types of way that might have let their side down and that wasn't considered gentlemanly or appropriate behaviour. Back in the day, it was only angels that played football and hurling. I always reflect on Mickey Ned running through the Dublin defence and after about 6 Dublin men fail in trying to break his leg / stop his progress, the bold Sean Doherty, the Dublin full back comes forth from his full back position where he stood all day, and unceremoniously "tackles" Mickey Ned, knocking him unconscious, Mickey Ned is carrried off on a door and doesn't remember the day of the all Ireland final and isn't able to accept the Sam Maguire that day.But sure that was the Kerry golden years and Heffo's army and all that. Happy days. Have a look and reminisce about the good old days.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw

And now to Mr. Whelan -  basically Whelo is saying that it was alright ( please refer to Peter Canavan's article last week about men trying to break his leg and jaw ) to go out and "do" a man with a shoe or a fist but it's terrible to whisper something in his ear. Oh the irony of it all.

And finally I don't accept that reacting to sledging is in some way a deficit in your make up and is a human weakness and that sledging should be laughed off.

HDTV

Quote from: Jinxy on May 17, 2015, 11:38:50 PM
Quote from: HDTV on May 17, 2015, 11:20:04 PM
Here is the scuffle at Half time just to let you guys know the Quality wise  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTw0ncxFoI4

Photoshopped.

Did you download full match of site eh no full whack hdtv don't think so,so not photoshopped and how could it be anyway

phpearse

Quotethe fact Michael Murphy is the size he is means he doesn't get the decisions he's supposed to. Maybe if he dived around the place like Cavanagh he might get the frees he deserves but he doesn't... ah well!

Was it twice in the first half that a long ball was played into Murphy and McMahon and Murphy threw the head and hands back and fell to the ground when the ball broke loose, looking for the free. Just because it isn't a Tyrone player doing it, doesn't mean he isn't trying to buy one.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on May 17, 2015, 11:27:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 17, 2015, 11:20:51 PM
Murphy got pulled and dragged the whole game, hell i don't even like him but there a way to mark a man without your arms round him the whole game, Coulter was quick to point out Canty was the hardest defender he played against and quick to point out he never opened his mouth during a game to him to insult him. You got to show a bit of class on the football field, Joe McMahon a teacher, how can he teach lads what not to do at football with the craic he was getting up to at half time, he was embarrassing himself to be honest. End of the day Donegal a tough team to break down, Monaghan might have a chance but nobody else in Ulster will.

Donegal will struggle to play that type of game in Croke Park with so many players over 30. Haven't got much on the bench either after number 18.

I don't think they will struggle any more than they did last year, besides which not many teams play the way Tyrone do.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

INDIANA

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 18, 2015, 09:24:07 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 12, 2015, 04:06:32 PM
Watching from behind the couch as Mordor plays Mordor lite. If anyone gets to double figures I will be seriously impressed

Given it was very poor conditions (wind and rain combined) you must have been seriously impressed that both teams got into double figures? Was a decent enough return on the day and not the lowest scoring game of the weekend. I think a lot of gaa fans around the country need to start thanking the ulster championship for providing some genuine entertainment and proper clashes from May to July while the other championships go through the motions.

I honestly think there is genuine fear from the Dubs that they're going to have to meet an Ulster team later in the year and are getting the excuses in early this year.

Tyrone are not capable of beating Dublin at present. You just aren't good enough anymore. Outside Peter Harte nobody else would make the Dublin team . Well maybe Mc Curry too because he'd be accepted for the skills he has rather then the ones he doesn't have.

Donegal don't look like they have the legs anymore. Once we get the setup right we should be fine against them . Kerry are the team we probably won't beat this year because of the forward line they have this year

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Up The Middle on May 18, 2015, 10:17:32 AM
Have to agree with 2 previous posters, Matty Donnelly takes far too much out of the ball when building from defense, takes at least two solos before lifting his head, giving Donegal time to drop everyone back. Peter Harte was brilliant for 20 minutes as usual and then totally disappears from the game as usual.

McQuillans refereeing was poor, Chrsty Toye should have walked after so many fouls and Colm Cavanagh should have went for a late tackle in the 2nd half after Sean was sent off. Thought Justin McMahon did a great job on Murphy, good to see him stepping up again after a few poor seasons.

McCurry is Tyrones top scorer and he was basically playing as an attacking half back, surely he would be a lot more effective closer to goal (as he showed with the finish for the goal), thought Brennan was poor as was McShane (maybe too much expected off them too soon).

Ronan Oneill has serioulsy pissed someone off when he can only get 4 minutes.

Harte was excellent at times yesterday. I'd like to see him do more attacking but overall had a good game.  If McCurry had played up front he would have got no room whatsoever. The only reason he had room for the goal was because he slipped in from deep. I think he could face stiff competition from Bradley for his place. They're similar players and I think Bradley could have a good summer ahead - would be a good option with the closer in frees too.

Ronan O'Neill played against Donegal in the league and was ineffective. He'll struggle to get his place. Probably deserved more time from the bench as I think he could be a decent impact sub. McShane struggled badly yesterday. But the u21s will get more time with the seniors now and hoping a few of them really push on over the summer. I don't see why we can't have a long run if the interest is there from the players.

BluestackBoy

God but there are a lot of delicate flowers on here.

For the record, I hate sledging but Donegal & Tyrone truly detest each other. In the circumstances it not surprising it went on. I think the umpires & linesmen could pay a role in curbing it because as I understand it the referee has to hear what is said before he can do anything.

Apart form the sledging I am not sure what anyone here expected from a Donegal Tyrone championship game on a foul day in Ballybofey. I was at the game & really enjoyed the occasion as a whole.

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on May 18, 2015, 10:37:45 AM
Sledging is nothing new nor do I agree with it or condone it. When northern teams would be lining up for Amhran na bhFiann, some "southern" players from "southern"  teams would regularly try to wind them up by asking them when their anthem was going to be played, calling them British basatards, go back to England and you'd have nothing up there were it not for the Queen etc etc. I emphasise that only some players would do this. Same on all teams. To broad brush a whole team or a whole region of players is just trying to generalise, is lazy and is completely wrong. So fair is fair.

And for Indy to come on and say that Harte made a quote in 2000 about it being a Tyrone tactic and that he "trains" his teams in sledging etc is again insulting and way way off the mark and very disappointing. All teams will have players that will take things up to the line and even over it on occasion, but please don't label them all.

If you wanted to, you could probably look back over time and select certain players from most counties who engaged in a certain types of way that might have let their side down and that wasn't considered gentlemanly or appropriate behaviour. Back in the day, it was only angels that played football and hurling. I always reflect on Mickey Ned running through the Dublin defence and after about 6 Dublin men fail in trying to break his leg / stop his progress, the bold Sean Doherty, the Dublin full back comes forth from his full back position where he stood all day, and unceremoniously "tackles" Mickey Ned, knocking him unconscious, Mickey Ned is carrried off on a door and doesn't remember the day of the all Ireland final and isn't able to accept the Sam Maguire that day.But sure that was the Kerry golden years and Heffo's army and all that. Happy days. Have a look and reminisce about the good old days.  ;)

And now to Mr. Whelan -  basically Whelo is saying that it was alright ( please refer to Peter Canavan's article last week about men trying to break his leg and jaw ) to go out and "do" a man with a shoe or a fist but it's terrible to whisper something in his ear. Oh the irony of it all.

And finally I don't accept that reacting to sledging is in some way a deficit in your make up and is a human weakness and that sledging should be laughed off.

It's the truth and you know it. I will post the quote if you want. I know the way your teams are trained. We copied your devlopment model in the early 2000s but we left that bit out. I've first hand experience of being on the line at underage matches between the two counties listening to it so don't tell me I'm spoofing when I've first hand experience of it. Why oh why you have to engage in it at all is beyond me
However Donegal were at least as bad at it yesterday and unfortunately now it's become part of the game for most counties now

Redhand Santa

Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2015, 10:42:12 AM
Watching from behind the couch as Mordor plays Mordor lite. If anyone gets to double figures I will be seriously impressed

Given it was very poor conditions (wind and rain combined) you must have been seriously impressed that both teams got into double figures? Was a decent enough return on the day and not the lowest scoring game of the weekend. I think a lot of gaa fans around the country need to start thanking the ulster championship for providing some genuine entertainment and proper clashes from May to July while the other championships go through the motions.

I honestly think there is genuine fear from the Dubs that they're going to have to meet an Ulster team later in the year and are getting the excuses in early this year.

Tyrone are not capable of beating Dublin at present. You just aren't good enough anymore. Outside Peter Harte nobody else would make the Dublin team . Well maybe Mc Curry too because he'd be accepted for the skills he has rather then the ones he doesn't have.

Donegal don't look like they have the legs anymore. Once we get the setup right we should be fine against them . Kerry are the team we probably won't beat this year because of the forward line they have this year

I'd be more confident of beating Dublin than Donegal to be honest. I know its not championship but we've played Dublin a lot in recent years and nothing between the teams - Dublin hate playing us. 2 years ago we beat Dublin in Croke by a point. In the league final Dublin won by a point and were lucky. Last year we had a poor year and conceded 3 goals early to Dublin and it was still level with time almost up. This year we drew down there and should have won.

twohands!!!

The notion that sledging isn't new is hardly much of a defence - it reeks of "We've burned witches around here for generations, so why should the current lads be criticised for burning witches now?"

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2015, 10:46:12 AM

It's the truth and you know it. I will post the quote if you want. I know the way your teams are trained. We copied your devlopment model in the early 2000s but we left that bit out. I've first hand experience of being on the line at underage matches between the two counties listening to it so don't tell me I'm spoofing when I've first hand experience of it. Why oh why you have to engage in it at all is beyond me
However Donegal were at least as bad at it yesterday and unfortunately now it's become part of the game for most counties now

Post the development model where it says that sledging is on the programme.

And Dublin players and players from other counties have been engaged in sledging. As you say it's almost endemic now unfortunately. Pillar's men were saints and never engaged in anything other than good clean football. No sledging or anything like that.

Jinxy is right -  sledging is bad and doesn't work and is getting far too much negative publicity ( and rightly so ) - we need to bring back a bit of good old style Meath  ;) fisticuffs / schemozzle type behaviour.

Let's hear it for the Meath men.

And by saying that sledging is nothing new is not even an attempt at defending that type of behaviour. It's wrong.

highorlow

Orangeman, that Mickey Ned video is not an example of sledging.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2015, 10:42:12 AM

I seem to remember Dubs saying that only Murphy would make the Dublin team last year & look at how that turned out.

As for Donegal not having the legs, if that helps you sleep at night then fire away.

One thing I do know is that if Dublin had played in Ballybofey yesterday, with the chokers that got found out last year, they would have been beaten out the gate by either Donegal or Tyrone.

Yesterday was a battle of will & character, all about not bending the knee. There was no room for fancy dan football in the conditions & Dublin would have been obliterated.

orangeman

Quote from: highorlow on May 18, 2015, 10:57:57 AM
Orangeman, that Mickey Ned video is not an example of sledging.

it is.

Different type of sledging.  ;)