Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Why is there so much hatred of Tyrone? I know as a Armagh man I was baptised into that faith at birth but every other county seems to have joined up.

As an extra point and to link it with Tyrone's favourite pundit Omagh, with McMahon's on board, beat Cross in the Ulster club this year. Cross had 2 players sent off and Brolly suggested that Cross could cope with physical abuse but lost it when the verbals started. Kilcoo, Co. Down had tried the same the couple of years before.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Throw ball on May 18, 2015, 12:42:11 AM
Why is there so much hatred of Tyrone? I know as a Armagh man I was baptised into that faith at birth but every other county seems to have joined up.

As an extra point and to link it with Tyrone's favourite pundit Omagh, with McMahon's on board, beat Cross in the Ulster club this year. Cross had 2 players sent off and Brolly suggested that Cross could cope with physical abuse but lost it when the verbals started. Kilcoo, Co. Down had tried the same the couple of years before.

None of this Tyrone bashing is credible anymore. Spillane and brolly started this crap many years ago with all the puke football which was directed at Ulster football Tyrone and Armagh both successfull teams of that era.As Tyrone became the dominant force in Ulster winning three All Irelands the general dislike and distrust of their northern country men was fueled by the southern media and the slating of all things northern becomes the norm. I think it has got to the stage were this constant attack on Tyrone brings the whole Gaa ethos into disrepute.. It is a very sad state of affairs when fair minded people get drowned out by such biggoted views and will eventually have an adverse effect on the association in Tyrone and ultimately as a whole. I have noticed over the years as the south has suffered greatly with its financial problems an erosion in its cultural well being. Tyrone GAA is becoming very insulare as a result.

theticklemister

Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 18, 2015, 01:14:31 AM

None of this Tyrone bashing is credible anymore. Spillane and brolly started this crap many years ago with all the puke football which was directed at Ulster football Tyrone and Armagh both successfull teams of that era.As Tyrone became the dominant force in Ulster winning three All Irelands the general dislike and distrust of their northern country men was fueled by the southern media and the slating of all things northern becomes the norm. I think it has got to the stage were this constant attack on Tyrone brings the whole Gaa ethos into disrepute.. It is a very sad state of affairs when fair minded people get drowned out by such biggoted views and will eventually have an adverse effect on the association in Tyrone and ultimately as a whole. I have noticed over the years as the south has suffered greatly with its financial problems an erosion in its cultural well being. Tyrone GAA is becoming very insulare as a result.

Ah come on; they're a shower a basatrds

SkillfulBill

Quote from: theticklemister on May 18, 2015, 01:22:36 AM

Oh aye and theres that to.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 18, 2015, 01:24:18 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 18, 2015, 01:22:36 AM

Oh aye and theres that to.

All insults from cider monkeys and sperrin inbreeds are welcome by the way.Thats true GAA culture.

rrhf

On the girlfriend phone number debate have any of you considered that maybe a man did actually know the guys girlfriend and still stays close.  Playground stuff

tonto1888

As an Armagh man, I dislike Tyrone but some of the shite posted on this thread is exactly that. Shite. Sledging and the dark arts have been going on a long time, and not just at senior intercounty level either. In an U16 championship semi final in the 90s I got sent off because I reacted to something I shouldnt have and my team lost. The other guy got sent off but he had been put there with one job in mind, to get me sent off. And it worked.
In regards to the game, I enjoyed it. It was a great championship game with everything you weant in it.
As for the half time shenanigans, will as much be made of it as was about the Armagh Cavan game last year????

Redhand Santa

For a first day out it was a very enjoyable high paced championship game. Some very good scores and the niggle added to it. For as long as I've been going to football I've witnessed incidents like half time yesterday and a lot of people won't admit it but most people like the bit of an edge to a game like this. The difference in now and early years is it was all pushing and no punches thrown so nothing to get too worked up about. What exactly was RTE's point about Justy McMahon last night? They said he was sent out to do a job on Murphy and keep him scoreless- yes of course he was - that's generally what defenders are sent out to do. They went through all their footage and couldn't find anything in dirty in the slighest to back up that he was actually out of line.

I thought there was very little between the teams. We let them get a couple of points up at a crucial stage near the end not helped by a missed McCurry free. This meant we had to go for goals and were very unlucky not to get one. There is a lot to work on there and take heart from. In some ways it was probably better not drawing as even if we'd won in Omagh we'd have used a lot of energy just to get to an Ulster quarter final (but I'd still much rather we had drawn). Now depending on the qualifier draw we could find ourselves with an easier passage to the quarter final than Donegal. We will be able to bring in a few more u21s and bring them on. Yesterday we played with the fight that has been lacking in our championship for years - if the players get fully behind it there could be a long summer ahead. The aim now has to be to get to the quarter finals and beat Donegal when it matters most in a knockout championship game.

It's such a pity we can't find consistent free takers. If we'd taken the frees yesterday we'd have won that game despite a bad start. Also I wish Petey Harte would stay involved for longer in games. He was brilliant at times and can really open up a defence but seems to take breaks from attacking during the game.

nrico2006

Quote from: INDIANA on May 17, 2015, 10:39:48 PM
Quote from: Meadbh on May 17, 2015, 10:31:45 PM
Had to post on here after Ciaran Whelan (aka the roughest tr**p of the 00's) started going on about Tyrone 'sledging' and point out McMahon in particular on Sunday Game... Was Whelan actually in Ballybofey today on the sidelines, ears pricked up to hear what exactly was being said on the pitch? Because if he's going to sit on national TV and say that, he'd need to have evidence.

No 'true gael' engages in sledging? What a crock.

Its hard to imagine Ciaran writing down the phone number of his opponents girlfriend and reciting it back to him for the whole game. In Dublin we leave that to Tyrone

Whelan didn't have the wit for it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 17, 2015, 10:42:17 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 17, 2015, 10:39:48 PM
Quote from: Meadbh on May 17, 2015, 10:31:45 PM
Had to post on here after Ciaran Whelan (aka the roughest tr**p of the 00's) started going on about Tyrone 'sledging' and point out McMahon in particular on Sunday Game... Was Whelan actually in Ballybofey today on the sidelines, ears pricked up to hear what exactly was being said on the pitch? Because if he's going to sit on national TV and say that, he'd need to have evidence.

No 'true gael' engages in sledging? What a crock.

Its hard to imagine Ciaran writing down the phone number of his opponents girlfriend and reciting it back to him for the whole game. In Dublin we leave that to Tyrone

I can't believe players actually get worked up by that whole "i know your girlfriends number" bullshit.

Exactly.  Serious weakness in the head if that leads to you losing the bap.  With the things/slagging that were said to me and everybody else in my area/school growing up, things like that would hardly make you bat an eyelid.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2015, 07:04:39 AM
On the girlfriend phone number debate have any of you considered that maybe a man did actually know the guys girlfriend and still stays close.  Playground stuff

Bullshit . And it wasn't just one player. Harte made a significant quote in 2000 where he said sledging was part of the game as far as he's concerned. He has trained his teams accordingly and it's now firmly part of the Tyrone doctrine at development level. Everyone in Ulster copied it and it's now part of the game there.

I've the height of respect for Harte as an individual but I dislike the way he trains his football teams.

On the game itself fundamentally Tyrone don't score enough. And because of that they won't win anything for a while. It's a sad day for the game when a talent like Mc Curry has to play around the middle to get the ball. In modern Gaelic Football the talentless are admired for work rate and intensity and the class acts are reduced to hod carriers.

AZOffaly

I thought yesterday was interesting from that perspective Indiana actually. It was noticeable how many forwards were rewarded for good movement, and good overlapping runs by finding soft areas in the zonal defence, and both sides were able to make inroads at various times. Yesterday you had two notable proponents of this system and there was still room for good football to be played, and it was. It's different, and it is a lot more cerebral, but it is still engaging to watch when it is two good teams. Where it gets shite, and where the danger for football as a game is, is when two bad teams try to do the same. They normally get the defensive side reasonably ok, but their own forward movement and passing skills are bad and so it breaks down when they attack, and vice versa.

tyrone86

Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2015, 09:17:05 AM
Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2015, 07:04:39 AM

Bullshit . And it wasn't just one player. Harte made a significant quote in 2000 where he said sledging was part of the game as far as he's concerned. He has trained his teams accordingly and it's now firmly part of the Tyrone doctrine at development level. Everyone in Ulster copied it and it's now part of the game there.

I've the height of respect for Harte as an individual but I dislike the way he trains his football teams.

On the game itself fundamentally Tyrone don't score enough. And because of that they won't win anything for a while. It's a sad day for the game when a talent like Mc Curry has to play around the middle to get the ball. In modern Gaelic Football the talentless are admired for work rate and intensity and the class acts are reduced to hod carriers.

Utter lies - just because somebody told you that in the pub or Joe Brolly says it doesn't make it true.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: INDIANA on May 12, 2015, 04:06:32 PM
Watching from behind the couch as Mordor plays Mordor lite. If anyone gets to double figures I will be seriously impressed

Given it was very poor conditions (wind and rain combined) you must have been seriously impressed that both teams got into double figures? Was a decent enough return on the day and not the lowest scoring game of the weekend. I think a lot of gaa fans around the country need to start thanking the ulster championship for providing some genuine entertainment and proper clashes from May to July while the other championships go through the motions.

I honestly think there is genuine fear from the Dubs that they're going to have to meet an Ulster team later in the year and are getting the excuses in early this year.

AZOffaly

I do agree about the sledging. It's horrible to see, and when you understand the purpose behind it, it's even more hateful. If the lad stood up and took the punch he deserves when it comes I'd have less of a problem. The rolling and crying to get a lad sent off is what annoys me most of all. But don't be under any illusions that this is just Tyrone, or Ulster. It's all over the place now. And maybe the Ulster lads are a bit better at it at the moment, but the rest will catch up.

And it wasn't an ulster lad that called me a smelly culchie **** back in the early 90s, so it's not new either, although the wives, girlfriends, kids thing seems to be creeping in more, which is horrible.