Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 06, 2010, 08:34:15 PM
I bought a mountain bike in Halfords for €150 and I just wear a tracksuit bottoms and a jersey with ordinary runners, you don't have to spend big at all IMHO

I started back cycling about 4 years ago, bought the €150 job from Halfords also. Didnt know would I continue to cycle so didnt spend very much. Last year I upgraded to a €300 bike from Halfords, huge difference. If you continue to like it I would consider upgrading at some point, also if you are just on the road make sure you dont get those big mountain bike tyres, there shit for the road. I'll keep an eye out for you, if you hear someone shouting your only a Laois bollix, that will be me!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Orior

Quote from: JUst retired on April 07, 2010, 07:28:39 AM
Pints, you mentioned an mp3 player, and no one has mentioned it since. That seems a bit daft, how do you hear traffic coming from behind you? ???

Use your eyes as well as your ears.
Dont wave in and out onto the middle of the road.
Motorists normally dont try to knock cyclists down, so you shouldnt have to worry.
Dont play the ipod at full blast - you should be able to hear both traffic and music.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

small white mayoman

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 07, 2010, 08:02:02 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 06, 2010, 08:34:15 PM
I bought a mountain bike in Halfords for €150 and I just wear a tracksuit bottoms and a jersey with ordinary runners, you don't have to spend big at all IMHO

I started back cycling about 4 years ago, bought the €150 job from Halfords also. Didnt know would I continue to cycle so didnt spend very much. Last year I upgraded to a €300 bike from Halfords, huge difference. If you continue to like it I would consider upgrading at some point, also if you are just on the road make sure you dont get those big mountain bike tyres, there shit for the road. I'll keep an eye out for you, if you hear someone shouting your only a Laois bollix, that will be me!

Just started back cycling a few months ago , got myself a Kelly's bike must say i'm delighted with it can't believe how light it is , the tyres on it are bigger than a racing bike but smaller than a mountain bike. i'm doing about 15 miles most evenings and find it a great stress realease hoping to build up the mileage and do the gaelforce challenge this year 
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

pintsofguinness

Quote from: JUst retired on April 07, 2010, 07:28:39 AM
Pints, you mentioned an mp3 player, and no one has mentioned it since. That seems a bit daft, how do you hear traffic coming from behind you? ???
sure if I was in the car with the radio on I couldnt hear the traffic behind me either
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerry

just after doing 30 mile spin tonight with the headphones on, cycling for a couple hours with no one to chat to or no music would do my head in
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gerry on April 07, 2010, 08:20:42 PM
just after doing 30 mile spin tonight with the headphones on, cycling for a couple hours with no one to chat to or no music would do my head in

You should get a iPod or mp3 player to go with them headphones, it's far better when there is music coming through them
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerry

feck i knew something was wrong, i must be the only one on here who does not own a ipod or iphone
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gerry on April 07, 2010, 08:32:21 PM
feck i knew something was wrong, i must be the only one on here who does not own a ipod or iphone
I dont own either of them, never liked them ipods - simple mp3 player is far handier. Though I'm thinking of getting another one because I dont think mine has very good sound. the last one I had was some job but it stopped charging after about 5 years. may it RIP.

maddog

Have a 70 mile charity ride this Sunday, Birmingham to Oxford. If there is no one around to update the spreads comp you will know why.

pintsofguinness

Hope it doesn't rain!

Orior

Quote from: maddog on June 21, 2010, 10:57:36 AM
Have a 70 mile charity ride this Sunday, Birmingham to Oxford. If there is no one around to update the spreads comp you will know why.

What has been your longest training run maddog?

armaghniac

Anyone doing the Belfast to Dublin maracycle thing at the weekend?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

maddog

Quote from: Orior on June 22, 2010, 12:06:32 AM
Quote from: maddog on June 21, 2010, 10:57:36 AM

What has been your longest training run maddog?

52 so far Orior. Im hoping that the fact that its in a group as opposed to slogging alone will see me home the last few miles. Looks like its going to be a scorcher as well.

Orior

If anyone here did do the maracycle, then they are keeping very quiet.

http://www.cooperationireland.org/files/CyclistTimes.pdf

The race went right past my parents house on the Portidown to Newry towpath  :o

Orior

Quote from: Orior on June 28, 2010, 09:17:36 PM
If anyone here did do the maracycle, then they are keeping very quiet.

http://www.cooperationireland.org/files/CyclistTimes.pdf

The race went right past my parents house on the Portidown to Newry towpath  :o

By the way, in the words of master Bart Simpson esquire, I didnt do it.