Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: haranguerer on April 16, 2014, 10:02:29 AM
I'm looking to get into this cycling lark, with a view to eventually getting into triathlons (in between/after the football).

My work has the cycle to work scheme, and I've been looking at the top end of that limit (£1k). There are a number of guides on the net, but for an ill-informed newbie like me, its hard to distinguish between any of them. Someone said to me too that I'd get much better spec for that money looking at previous season bikes, but its generally a lot harder to find information about these, and also stockists, even on the net.

Has anyone any advice/recommendations for me?

Can recommend the Cube Peleton 105 version which is Shimano 105 throughout with Mavic Aksium wheelset. Can't think of a better equipped bike in the price bracket. If you go into some of the shops you might get something from last years stock lists reduced.

bennydorano

Check out Ribble.co.uk - bikebuilder & their special editions. The Ribble Azzuro (full Carbon frame & forks)  with full 105 is superb value @£999. Check the guides for sizing.

haranguerer

Thanks lads, I took a look at both there.

Maddog - are those Cube peletons all compact? I was told that compact meant less gears so you sacrifice top speed - does that make much of a difference starting out?

Benny, can I ask what the difference is between the two on Ribbles home page

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/?type=RIBMO

i.e. the azzurro you refer to and the gran fonda above it? Both priced the same, and components seem identical.

I showed the two of them to a guy in here who cycles and he said both were great, and a great deal.

bennydorano

The Azzuro would be more Racey, the GF (which i have) is better for longer rides (sportives), if you are thinking Triathlon the Azzuro with the standard chainset (53/39) is the boy for you, if you're a big fella an 11-28 cassette on the back. The Ribble Evo there is marketed for Triathlons, it's very racey in comparison to the others.

maddog

Quote from: haranguerer on April 16, 2014, 03:25:07 PM
Thanks lads, I took a look at both there.

Maddog - are those Cube peletons all compact? I was told that compact meant less gears so you sacrifice top speed - does that make much of a difference starting out?

Benny, can I ask what the difference is between the two on Ribbles home page

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/?type=RIBMO

i.e. the azzurro you refer to and the gran fonda above it? Both priced the same, and components seem identical.

I showed the two of them to a guy in here who cycles and he said both were great, and a great deal.

They come in compacts and triples. Mine is 20 speed 50x34T and if you get it lit in 50x11 you wont need to worry about sacrificing any speed. Think the cassette is 11-28 so plenty of range for hills too.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on April 16, 2014, 12:51:17 PM
Check out Ribble.co.uk - bikebuilder & their special editions. The Ribble Azzuro (full Carbon frame & forks)  with full 105 is superb value @£999. Check the guides for sizing.

That's a serious deal, think it sacrifices a little on wheel quality for the carbon frame but could always upgrade them after a while.

bennydorano

I have them Rodi Airline Aero wheels on my winter bike (£20 dearer than the ones on the Azzurro there) and they are 100%, they are roughly speaking the equivalent of Shimano R500s (but much better IMO).

Babe Ruth 47

Can anyone recommend some good value, 50mm carbon clinchers, or know of anyone selling a set. Budget is around €6/700 but ideally less. Thinking of going with the Race 50 c23 from wheelsmith, but would like to explore all options prior.

JimStynes

Think I'm going to drop down to the middle distance Giro Sportive. A few of the fellas I know who are doing it have all dropped down to the middle distance too so I wouldnt know anyone in the 140 mile distance. The time cap would worry me as well. I reckon I could do the 140 mile but would be afraid of missing the time cap at some of the stages.

90 mile (my garmin quit at 83mile ffs) around the lough on saturday there, handy enough but my knee started giving me a bit of pain near the end! Went out with the wife for a quick cycle (i purposely didn't write 'ride') today and it was still giving me bother!

On the plus side my new Bianchi Sempre Pro arrives this week!!

How's everyone else getting on?

Also my mate asked me about this http://www.hauteroutealps.org  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6LqccnNmg
He's interested in it but I don't think I would get the permission slip signed from the wife and I don't think I could physically do that for 7 days! Would need to lose 10kgs at least for a start. It would be amazing though!

gerry

yesterday was the first time out in the shorts and i am glad to report that my tan lines are coming on nicely.  our club in drumquin had our annual cycle yesterday and i covered the first 35 miles with a 21 mph/33km average before i got dropped out of this group at the next hill. 

some big miles being covered in our gaaboard strava site for the month of april
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

2 x ton+ rides this past week or so, feeling a bit more confident about Giro route now. What's this I hear about registering on the Sat nite? fook that!

JimStynes

Some going lads! I got roasted on saturday there, the most ridiculous farmer tan ever.  Great getting out in the shorts and jersey.
I must upload my strava, I keep forgetting to since I started using the Garmin more.

Benny, any idea what the arrangements are for the giro 140 route? If I was allowed to set off at 7am I would be more confident of finishing in the time limit. At the minute I think I will be going in the middle distance with a few of my mates. I'll try get a 100+ cycle this weekend and then decide.

gerry

60 milers is the most i have done so far this year. i am like a big kid waiting for the giro to come as i have the flags, road spray and stencils ready to go.  all being well we are doing a recce in the car tomorrow to ballycastle to finalise the details of our trip from omagh to see stage two of the giro, hopefully we have 50 cyclist going.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

No idea Jim, haven't really looked at it again since I booked it. Could end up in the Medio myself.

JimStynes

Quote from: gerry on April 21, 2014, 10:30:49 PM
60 milers is the most i have done so far this year. i am like a big kid waiting for the giro to come as i have the flags, road spray and stencils ready to go.  all being well we are doing a recce in the car tomorrow to ballycastle to finalise the details of our trip from omagh to see stage two of the giro, hopefully we have 50 cyclist going.

haha my uncle is the same. He is not going to a family wedding (his wifes side, not my side of the family thank god) because the giro is on. He told them not to even bother asking him as he has waited for too long for this! I am working on the friday and I don't think I will get to see any of the time trial. The one I really wanted to see. Disappointing that Cavandish isn't going now.