Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Ok I've encouraged the boss into doing/getting the bike to work scheme (he's getting a bike for himself also!!) I'm thinking £800 for the bike. Would like some good ideas for types of bike for that price.

I wouldn't be the tallest so interested in the frame of the bike and what is best for my height. i'm past trikes ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2013, 12:44:11 AM
Ok I've encouraged the boss into doing/getting the bike to work scheme (he's getting a bike for himself also!!) I'm thinking £800 for the bike. Would like some good ideas for types of bike for that price.

I wouldn't be the tallest so interested in the frame of the bike and what is best for my height. i'm past trikes ;D ;D

Depends on what you want the bike for, if you want a road bike i would be considering something along the links below
Though if its for commuting or maybe going along canal towpaths or cycle trails you might want a hybrid or even a mountain bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-6-tiagra-compact-2013-road-bike-ec042920
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/15-c-h2-2013-road-bike-ec040343

What you could watch out for is whichever shop you are looking at see what 2012 bikes they have on sale, often there is a significant reduction. Over here the like of evans cycles wont let you have the sale price on the cycle to work scheme, but from what i hear the shops at home are easier talked to on this.

try other websites like chainreaction wiggle ribble and get an idea what you want. Height wise - you will need to tell us that vital stat for further guidance - if you are 6ft around a 56-58, if around 5ft 8 id say a 52cm however the bike shop will guide you.
If in Belfast you could try Paul Slane cycles fairly sure they do the cycle to work scheme.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on April 07, 2013, 09:36:16 AM

Depends on what you want the bike for, if you want a road bike i would be considering something along the links below
Though if its for commuting or maybe going along canal towpaths or cycle trails you might want a hybrid or even a mountain bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-6-tiagra-compact-2013-road-bike-ec042920

What you could watch out for is whichever shop you are looking at see what 2012 bikes they have on sale, often there is a significant reduction. Over here the like of evans cycles wont let you have the sale price on the cycle to work scheme, but from what i hear the shops at home are easier talked to on this.

try other websites like chainreaction wiggle ribble and get an idea what you want. Height wise - you will need to tell us that vital stat for further guidance - if you are 6ft around a 56-58, if around 5ft 8 id say a 52cm however the bike shop will guide you.
If in Belfast you could try Paul Slane cycles fairly sure they do the cycle to work scheme.

Was in Chain Reaction earlier and was pushed along to this bike, I know they push their own type but what ya think? £850

Vitus Bikes Zenium VRS - 105 Road Bike 2013

Competion-level spec list. Wallet-friendly price. What's not to like?

The 2013 Zenium range features an all-new 6061-T6 hydroformed alloy frameset which boasts improved aesthetics and mimics our top-end carbon frames in styling and geometry.

A carbon fork with tapered alloy steerer comes as standard on all models and brings a new level of performance to the range, offering greatly improved handling and comfort.

The Zenium VRS features a components list that won't look out of place on the starting line of any midweek club race or criterium, but with compact and rider-friendly geometry it's also your ideal companion for epic weekend centuries, charity cyclosportives or year-round training.

Triple-butted 6061 aluminium frame and UD carbon fork
Our new 6061-T6 aluminium frame with custom-drawn aerospace tubing delivers a ride that is light, stiff and responsive. A UD carbon fork with tapered alloy steerer reduces road buzz and provides precise and predictable handling on all road surfaces.

Shimano 105/FSA groupset
Race ready performance is provided by Shimano's 105 5700 shifters and derailleurs. As technology advances many features trickle down from Dura Ace to 105 presenting an incredibly slick performer with improved aesthetics. The heart of the transmission is an FSA Gossamer Pro 50t x 34t compact chainset offering a club race friendly gear ratio that will be equally at home on longer weekend training rides.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 09, 2013, 08:01:06 PM
Quote from: maddog on April 07, 2013, 09:36:16 AM

Was in Chain Reaction earlier and was pushed along to this bike, I know they push their own type but what ya think? £850

Vitus Bikes Zenium VRS - 105 Road Bike 2013

Competion-level spec list. Wallet-friendly price. What's not to like?

The 2013 Zenium range features an all-new 6061-T6 hydroformed alloy frameset which boasts improved aesthetics and mimics our top-end carbon frames in styling and geometry.

A carbon fork with tapered alloy steerer comes as standard on all models and brings a new level of performance to the range, offering greatly improved handling and comfort.

The Zenium VRS features a components list that won't look out of place on the starting line of any midweek club race or criterium, but with compact and rider-friendly geometry it's also your ideal companion for epic weekend centuries, charity cyclosportives or year-round training.

Triple-butted 6061 aluminium frame and UD carbon fork
Our new 6061-T6 aluminium frame with custom-drawn aerospace tubing delivers a ride that is light, stiff and responsive. A UD carbon fork with tapered alloy steerer reduces road buzz and provides precise and predictable handling on all road surfaces.

Shimano 105/FSA groupset
Race ready performance is provided by Shimano's 105 5700 shifters and derailleurs. As technology advances many features trickle down from Dura Ace to 105 presenting an incredibly slick performer with improved aesthetics. The heart of the transmission is an FSA Gossamer Pro 50t x 34t compact chainset offering a club race friendly gear ratio that will be equally at home on longer weekend training rides.

Looks a cracking bike for the money.

Milltown Row2

well I'm looking to pay £40 or £50 quid a month out of my wages for it. A 54 frame bike.

•   Frame: Custom Hydro-formed 6061-T6 Alloy
•   Frame Certification: CE EN14781
•   Forks: High-modulus T700 HM-UD carbon with tapered alloy steerer
•   Headset: FSA Orbit C-40-ACB
•   Handlebars: FSA Wing Compact
•   Stem: FSA Gossamer OS-152
•   Handlebar Tape: Cork Cushion
•   Chainset: FSA Gossamer Pro Compact, 50t x 34t
•   Chain: Shimano Tiagra 4601, 10-Speed
•   Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 4600, 12t-25t, 10-Speed
•   Shifters: Shimano 105 5700
•   Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 5701
•   Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 5700
•   Brakes: FSA Gossamer
•   Saddle: Vitus
•   Seatpost: FSA SL-280
•   Tyres: Schwalbe Lugano PP, 700x23c
•   Wheelset: Shimano R501
•   Weight: 9kg (54cm)

Though I looked at this one and the price was down from £950 to £630

BeOne Storm Race Road Bike Specifications:

•   Frame: Compact AL7005-T6
•   Fork: Carbon, w/alloy steerer
•   Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
•   Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
•   Shifters: Shimano Tiagra
•   Brake levers: Shimano Tiagra
•   Brakes: Shimano Tiagra
•   Crankset: Shimano Tiagra (50-39-30T)
•   Handlebar: Kalloy
•   Stem: Kalloy
•   Seatpost: Kalloy
•   Saddle: Selle Royal Seta
•   Hubs: Shimano R501
•   Rims: Shimano R501
•   Chain: Shimano 105
•   Cassette: Shimano Tiagra (12 - 30T)
•   Tires: Schwalbe Lugano
•   Weight: 9.7 kg

bennydorano

Vitus is far better value.

Take a look the Ribble bikebuilder on their website. If you know what you are looking for you can get a great value bike, Carbon or Alloy bike, full Carbon bike with Sora groupset for £800. Clinker Alloy bike the Sportive 7046, not cheapest tho.

Mekk bikes also worth checking out, huge discounts on them at the minute.

bennydorano

Mekk full carbon with a 105/Tiagra mix available on wiggle for £840. (cant c&p as i'm footering on phone)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on April 09, 2013, 09:12:08 PM
Mekk full carbon with a 105/Tiagra mix available on wiggle for £840. (cant c&p as i'm footering on phone)

Grand will give that a look, looking forward to seeing the difference to what I've been used to.

LeoMc

Lads, I haven't been on a bike for about 10 years but have been approached about a couple of charity cycles, each around 80 miles, at the end of the summer.
Not sure I want to get into spending big money as don't think I would keep the cycling up afterwards. I am reading here about boys spending £800-£1200 on bikes. Is there any point in me going out and buying a basic racer at about £200 or am I just wasting my money?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: LeoMc on April 09, 2013, 10:38:51 PM
Lads, I haven't been on a bike for about 10 years but have been approached about a couple of charity cycles, each around 80 miles, at the end of the summer.
Not sure I want to get into spending big money as don't think I would keep the cycling up afterwards. I am reading here about boys spending £800-£1200 on bikes. Is there any point in me going out and buying a basic racer at about £200 or am I just wasting my money?

Leo I'd be a novice at cycling, wouldn't have done more than 20 odd mile and still haven't but would go out and do short distances, I've a decent mountain bike alloy frame, light but leading up to a tri event in September last year I went out with a mate on the road and he'd a "proper" road bike, I'd say for my age I'm reasonably fit but he blow me away couldn't keep up with him and I was giving it the welly the whole time, in the best gear for the lay of the road.

If I were thinking of doing a 80 miler I'd never do it on a basic racer, If you have a friend that has a racing bike I'd use it just for the longer races

maddog

Quote from: LeoMc on April 09, 2013, 10:38:51 PM

For about £300-£350 you would be able to pick up a 2nd hand one that would do for what you want it for. There are loads of them out there, i picked up a bianchi bike for a mate a few weeks back £350, alu frame with carbon fork, full shimano ultegra throughout in mint condition as the guy had "upgraded" on the cycle to work scheme.
You would be far better to do this than spend the same amount on a new more basic bike.

Orior

Joe Brolly's Life Cycle - you can register now

http://makelifeyourlegacy.com/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerrykeegan

Lads, just picket up a 26 x 1.75 tyre  in Lidl this morning. The size on my bike tyre says 26 x 1.60

Will I be ok?

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

maddog

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 18, 2013, 11:29:35 AM
Lads, just picket up a 26 x 1.75 tyre  in Lidl this morning. The size on my bike tyre says 26 x 1.60

Will I be ok?

Should be fine

gerry

I going to pop in to see if the chain cleaner they have advertised is any good as it looks a bargain for under a fiver
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,