Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 12, 2012, 02:11:09 AM
Quote from: fearsiuil on June 11, 2012, 02:08:59 PM
Getting into the cycling lark and want a bike that will be good to get about town, good for doing 20/30 miles on road and a bit through parks. Was thinking of the Kellys Axis, anyone have any suggestions ?

http://www.kennysforbikes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&category_id=178&product_id=642&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Your proposed bike seems a bit pricey to me.
€545 is quite a high price to pay for a bike you plan to use for short to medium length trips.
I bought a sport utility bike, a Silver Arrow, last year and I paid €250 for it. I use it in much the same way as you intend to use the Axis and the specs are pretty much the same.
I have had a good number of bikes in my time and the present one is by far the best I've ever had.
Thanks for advice, bought my bike few weeks back and went for a Trek DS 8.3. A lovely cycle.
http://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en/collections/gary_fisher/town/dual_sport/ds_series/8_3_ds_2012/ Brought it out after our match last Sunday up around Dún Laoghaire out to the hills in Killiney, my hamstrings were tight after the game but the cycling got rid of the aches !
Looking forward to tackling the Greenway from Westport to Achill later on in the summer.

bennydorano

Quote from: gerry on July 07, 2012, 11:31:07 AM
After all my chatting about £200 bikes I think I will take the plunge and buy a cycle to work ribble bike at £1000 for the start of next year.
I bought the Ribble Stealth and after taking a while to get used to the set up (dodgy back), I'm very happy with it now. If you're on a £200 yoke Gerry, prepare yourself for a treat when you put your ass on a nicely specced Carbon fibre machine, there is a big big difference in weight, comfort and performance.

Abble

Bennydorano (or any other regulars on here),
Been getting up to 25 miles this past month. but awful problems with my eyes, bloodshot as fcuk after i get off the bike. is this why all you's get those special frames ? I was thinking maybe it was hayfever, but do you need to get some kind of special frames  to avoid this ?

bennydorano

I always wear glasses as i always got the gritty eye feeling myself, as a hayfever sufferer as  well I would take an anti-histamine at this time of year, but nothing special in the sunglasses dept, £10 Raleighs of Amazon.

Abble

yeah, going to look further into this, as you know benny. i wear glasses, sometimes if its sunny i'll stick on sunglasses but it was the same problem. It could be some kind of drying out on my eyes, so might try eyedrops as well. i googled amazon there and also noticed straps on some frames, would be interested in them.

also while i'm on, i have to say i'm really enjoying it since starting cycling over 6/7 weeks ago or so now. during a cycle i have all sorts of moments when i think i'm about to keel over but then i get a second wind or something and them i'm able to start pushing hard again, its unlike anything else i've ever done before requiring fitness, it can be v v hard but also enjoyable. getting to experience different conditions, both weather and road surface etc. getting to know better when to push and not to push myself, ie pace myself.
i'll bat on with 25 milers and then push for a few 30milers before the summers out and then think about entering a sportive or two for 2013. 

also i've yet to clean my bike, but i now have the degreaser, lubricant etc, so maybe tomorrow i'll get it cleaned up !! :)

maddog

Quote from: Abble on July 07, 2012, 08:51:38 PM
yeah, going to look further into this, as you know benny. i wear glasses, sometimes if its sunny i'll stick on sunglasses but it was the same problem. It could be some kind of drying out on my eyes, so might try eyedrops as well. i googled amazon there and also noticed straps on some frames, would be interested in them.

also while i'm on, i have to say i'm really enjoying it since starting cycling over 6/7 weeks ago or so now. during a cycle i have all sorts of moments when i think i'm about to keel over but then i get a second wind or something and them i'm able to start pushing hard again, its unlike anything else i've ever done before requiring fitness, it can be v v hard but also enjoyable. getting to experience different conditions, both weather and road surface etc. getting to know better when to push and not to push myself, ie pace myself.
i'll bat on with 25 milers and then push for a few 30milers before the summers out and then think about entering a sportive or two for 2013. 

also i've yet to clean my bike, but i now have the degreaser, lubricant etc, so maybe tomorrow i'll get it cleaned up !! :)

Abble, sounds like exact same problem as i had. Wearing glasses on the bike isnt great as it doesnt keep out enough of the wind and the bugs. Anyway i got round it by ordering a pair of cycling glasses with prescription inserts that clip in behind the ordinary sunglass lens. Cheapest i could see for these locally was Tesco who wanted £120, ordered a pair for £12 of ebay that come from Hong Kong. Got local optician then to fit the prescription lens into the inserts (£23) and was sorted from there. No more streaming eyes or flys getting in. Happy days. Got a 35 mile charity spin tomorrow and guess what the forecast is ::)

Orior

I always wear glasses so no problem with grit in eyes, but my nose always runs. Like bennydorano, I should probably investigate anti-histamines as the same thing happens when I play golf.

But instead I just carry a sheet of kitchen roll up my sleeve.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

i hardly wear glasses as i hate getting the tan lines. thats if we ever get a summer.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

trueblue1234

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/dawes-hybrid-bicycle/104870693

What you reckon about this one? Seems to be good value? Any info would be appreciated.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

illdecide

Tell me this...do/did any of you get any problems with your lunchbox whilst cycling? Anytime i went out on the bike the uncomfort i get from the wind blowing into the groin region as well as it rubbing up and down sent the thing numb. I didn't realise it as much when cycling but if i got of the bike for a piss or a pit stop then i felt it....nearly climaxed ffs...lol (this is not a wind up btw) and I am wearing cycling shorts (although they are a bit tight i assumed that's they way they're worn!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: illdecide on July 09, 2012, 05:31:47 PM
Tell me this...do/did any of you get any problems with your lunchbox whilst cycling? Anytime i went out on the bike the uncomfort i get from the wind blowing into the groin region as well as it rubbing up and down sent the thing numb. I didn't realise it as much when cycling but if i got of the bike for a piss or a pit stop then i felt it....nearly climaxed ffs...lol (this is not a wind up btw) and I am wearing cycling shorts (although they are a bit tight i assumed that's they way they're worn!!!

Nope, never experienced such, sounds like you might be the only cyclo-erotic around here!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on July 09, 2012, 05:31:47 PM
Your set up/positioning is slightly off  i'd Imagine. I use Chamois cream as well, great 4 longer runs.

illdecide

Benny i'd say your not far off there as i always get a really sore lower back too, but how do you know what the right settings are? I think i need to invest in a pair of cycling shorts that are not as tight too
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2012, 10:41:06 AM
Benny i'd say your not far off there as i always get a really sore lower back too, but how do you know what the right settings are? I think i need to invest in a pair of cycling shorts that are not as tight too

As a general rule your saddle should be set so that when your foot is on the pedal and the crank is facing straight down there should be only the smallest of bends in your knee. The saddle then should be around 2-4 inches higher than your handlebar stem, and if you butt your elbow up to the front end of the saddle and stretch your fingers down the stem, your fingers should reach about half way down the length of the stem. If you are set up anything like that then you cant be that far off.