Down's greatest ever player?

Started by downboy2011, December 08, 2011, 10:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downboy2011

Who do you think has been Down's greatest ever player?

I know there will be the responses of Sean O'Neill and the likes but many people has forgot about the brilliance of Austin in the centre of the field. He was a complete unsong hero and imo never got the praise he fully deserved. He was a fantastic fielder of the ball and had a sweet right boot on him too. Just my opinion though.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: downboy2011 on December 08, 2011, 10:01:47 AM

I know there will be the responses of Sean O'Neill and the likes but many people has forgot about the brilliance of Austin in the centre of the field. He was a complete unsong hero and imo never got the praise he fully deserved. He was a fantastic fielder of the ball and had a sweet right boot on him too. Just my opinion though.

Uncle Liam? :D

sheamy

Shane Mulholland. No question.

What happened the other thread Tadgh?

downboy2011

just my opinion, dont think he got the credit he deserved for the job he did

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sheamy on December 08, 2011, 10:05:50 AM
Shane Mulholland. No question.

What happened the other thread Tadgh?

He did a Spartacus on himself!!!

downboy2011

everyone going off topic here, just wondering who you think is downs greatest ever player?

screenexile

sheamy

Quote from: downboy2011 on December 08, 2011, 10:10:45 AM
everyone going off topic here, just wondering who you think is downs greatest ever player?

Val Kane

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sheamy on December 08, 2011, 10:16:48 AM
Quote from: downboy2011 on December 08, 2011, 10:10:45 AM

Val Kane

;D, I reckon its Pat Donnan, best keeper ever.

PAULD123

Liam austin as Down's best ever player is a joke. He was certainly under-rated in Down but very much over-rated outside the county. Austin was a great servant and a very good fielder. He was a quality player and would make the squad for any of our All-Ireland teams. He would probably have been enough to make the defeat in 2010 into a victory.

But as  the best player in our history he doesn't stand much chance when compared to Sean O'Neill, Paddy Doherty, Greg Blaney, Micky Linden, James McCartan(s), Colm McAlarney, Benny Coulter.......

Most would say Sean O'Neill, but I never saw him play (I only remember about 25 years back). So for me the best Down player I ever saw play was Greg Blaney. It's easy to look at high points scorers like Micky and Wee James and marvel at their skills but Blaney had a total footballing brain and was the reason these guys shone so brightly. I believe that any football team from any county in the last 25 years would have started him.

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

downboy2011

just watch back the tapes of austin in his hayday. Man was pure quality. Saw his son play in a minor county final recently too, has all his das qualities, was a class act on the day. Definately one for the future

thewobbler

Liam Austin? Great servant. But I'd take Barry Breen, Ambrose Rogers Jnr, Dan Gordon, Eamon Burns, Conor Deegan, Greg McCartan and Dougie Sheerin ahead of him, in midfield alone, in my time watching Down.

One of the above may not necessarily be true.

I can't comment on anyone pre-1985 or so, and in reality anyone pre-1990 would mostly be me misty-eyed.

1. Mickey McVeigh
2. Paul Higgins
3. Conor Deegan
4. Miceal Magil
5. Brendan McGovern
6. Barry Breen
7. DJ Kane
8. Greg McCartan
9. Dan Gordon
10. Ross Carr
11. Greg Blaney
12. Marty Clarke
13. Mickey Linden
14. Benny Coulter
15. James McCartan

Brendan McVeigh, Brendan Mason, Gary Mason, Brian Burns, Shane Mulholland, Ambrose Jnr and Ambrose Snr would all be close.

Minder

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 08, 2011, 10:04:10 AM
Quote from: downboy2011 on December 08, 2011, 10:01:47 AM

Uncle Liam? :D

Very much so, Jackie.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Canalman

From what I have seen (limited as it is) Mickey Linden by a country mile.