Mise Éire (TG4)

Started by Donagh, December 29, 2008, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

A pity that this film has been allowed to fall into such a poor state of repair. I know Gael Linn hold the rights to it but surely a documentary of such national and historical importance should be preserved by the state?

orangeman

Quote from: Donagh on December 29, 2008, 10:55:04 PM
A pity that this film has been allowed to fall into such a poor state of repair. I know Gael Linn hold the rights to it but surely a documentary of such national and historical importance should be preserved by the state?

Saw this last year - as you say a real treasure that needs preserved for future generations.

Main Street

Saw it last year as well or was it the year before.
If that's all we have as a document, we are in trouble.

Needs to be seriously sexed up.

Donagh

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2008, 12:02:59 AM
Saw it last year as well or was it the year before.
If that's all we have as a document, we are in trouble.

Needs to be seriously sexed up.

It needs restored and translated for a wider audience. Superb piece of film making.

Main Street

What wider audience can you be thinking off?

It's about 2 years since I saw it last so I can't remember all that could be changed but I'd bin the mogadon voice over for a start and the sound quality was awful.
The voiced over montage of images did not capture revolutionary nationalism  but the birth of a stagnant state that was choking me. That's how I felt about it when I saw it as a youth. Our national history has underlying elements of dynamism which is rarely captured in filmed drama or archived footage. But as a youth, what struck me was O'Riada's music, I had never heard anything like that before.

Get a decent voice over, better script, re record the music from scratch.
I am fussy about these things.
Even O'Riada's other recorded music is poorly produced, that annoys me, it is a lack of respect for our culture.