American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Ex Pats & Cowboys WR Terry Glenn killled in car crash
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

http://amp.si.com/college-football/2017/11/16/shaquem-griffin-hand-ucf-nfl-draft

Pretty cool and inspiring story about Seahawks rookie CB Shaquill Griffin's brother, Shaquem. Hand his left hand amputated as a kid but was DPOY in the AAC last year and could well be in his way to the NFL

RealSpiritof98

When you have the the Vikings -7.5 they're on the 13 with a chip shot to go 10 up. Flipping offside and they ice the game with the 1st down. ffs sickener, anyway happy thanksgiving lol

Capt Pat

That was a really dramatic finish to the game even if you didn't have money on. What you forgot to mention was the lions blocked the field goal and returned the ball for a game tying touchdown before being called back for offside.

So the Vikings held on for a 30-23 win and a 3 game lead in the division.

AZOffaly

Lions also seemed to forget that you can return blocked extra points as well. That could have brought them another 2 points.

Did you see the state of the LA Punter trying field goals on the side. He missed the net apparently.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2017, 08:35:00 AM
Lions also seemed to forget that you can return blocked extra points as well. That could have brought them another 2 points.

Did you see the state of the LA Punter trying field goals on the side. He missed the net apparently.

Novak missed the first and got hurt.  The camera showed the punter as backup missing the practice net and then immediately cut to them going for it on 4th and 13 with the game still at 0-0.

AZOffaly

Yeah I knew Novak got hurt, but I think most teams would hope their punter could at least hit a 25 yard field goal, instead of going for 4th and 13!

Mind you I think he kicked one later on?

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2017, 10:29:57 AM
Yeah I knew Novak got hurt, but I think most teams would hope their punter could at least hit a 25 yard field goal, instead of going for 4th and 13!

I was in and out of the game but he missed two PATs later on. They actually brought Novak back out to kick their third FG attempt and he made it from short but he must have been sat after that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2017, 10:29:57 AM

It was a comedy. Romo ripped the piss out of him when they showed the footage of him missing the kicking net. He missed a couple of PAT's - typical Chargers. Should have been going for 2 points if the replacement kicker was so bad. Despite the Chargers showing their innate penchant for cutting their own throats it must be said they're looking good. For a team that started 0-4 to be in playoff contention is pretty impressive. Rivers at times last night and in recent weeks has looked really good. Some boyo.

Gabriel_Hurl

that's probably Miami out of the CFP

Syferus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 24, 2017, 09:35:27 PM
that's probably Miami out of the CFP

Not a chance. With Miami playing Clemson in the ACC title game the winner is definitely in the CFP. The outside chance of a one loss Miami making it without their conference title is over, though.

Oraisteach

Can't believe I have to root for Alabama over Auburn if the Buckeyes have any hope of making the playoffs.

gallsman

Don't watch much a college football but the final few mins of the UCF - South Florida game is crazy.

gallsman

The aforementioned one-handed Shaquem Griffin recovers a fumble to close it out as South Florida were marching back up the field.

Syferus

Florida have three good second tier U's now with USF, UCF and Lane Kiffin on the cusp of bringing FAU to its best ever season and a Conference USA title to boot. If any of them - particularly the two that played tonight - can eventually find a way into a Power 5 conference they could really make a mark on college football.