Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2017, 11:18:11 PM
Maybe you should just stick to the Irish News death column.

nah I need to keep an eye on the ghouls and sickos  ;)

Boycey

Quote from: rrhf on December 16, 2017, 11:13:55 PM
Before we all take ourselves too seriously read the first page of this thread. Armagh4samagain launched these 350 odd pages of mournfulness...

Aye and the subject of what was appropriate and not appropriate raised its head in the 1st few pages. The fact that it's still going strong suggests to me most people can look at it objectively. There's room for both solemnity and irreverence in it in my opinion.

longballin

Quote from: Boycey on December 16, 2017, 11:32:44 PM
Before we all take ourselves too seriously read the first page of this thread. Armagh4samagain launched these 350 odd pages of mournfulness...

Aye and the subject of what was appropriate and not appropriate raised its head in the 1st few pages. The fact that it's still going strong suggests to me most people can look at it objectively. There's room for both solemnity and irreverence in it in my opinion.

agreed but Tony crosses the line at times. Good night

Syferus

You're pretending that Ferron isn't simply trolling the thread for reactions. That's awful nice of you but naive in the extreme. Moderation is the only solution.

Boycey

Ur just annoyed cause he's better at it than you  ;D

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on December 16, 2017, 11:39:02 PM

You're pretending that Ferron isn't simply trolling the thread for reactions. That's awful nice of you but naive in the extreme. Moderation is the only solution.

Trolling a death thread? says it all

RealSpiritof98

The death thread gained 5 pages in 1 day, I thought north korea had started the beginning of the end while I worked for the man in an internet free dungeon for 12 hours.

RealSpiritof98

But what I did learn was Jana Navotna is dead which strikes a cord with me because as a sport mad early 80s child I basically watched every inch of sport on TV during the nineties. Navotna and also Ivanisovic were the Jimmy Whites of tennis only they won that last chance saloon that Jimmy  couldn't do. RIP

seafoid

Christine Keeler.
Maybe she was mentioned before but I can't be arsed wading through pages of Fearonia.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on December 14, 2017, 01:21:06 PM
No.In all seriousness this thread shows the absolute hypocrisy running through many aspects of this board.I use my formidable wit to lightheartedly link the news of celebrity deaths to aspects of their lives.This is not mocking the death itself.

However it now transpires that joking about death (in a way which is,unlike me, mocking the death) or even glorifying in the death is totally acceptable according to your perception of the deceased (e g Margaret Thatcher),or if you happen to know the deceased personally (🙄).
Firstly your wit is not formidable, and your jokes are crap at best. That said I don't think there is anything mocking about the jokes and you have to laugh at death sometimes. Your jokes are just terrible but I would defend your right to make them.

longballin

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 19, 2017, 10:40:16 AM
No.In all seriousness this thread shows the absolute hypocrisy running through many aspects of this board.I use my formidable wit to lightheartedly link the news of celebrity deaths to aspects of their lives.This is not mocking the death itself.

However it now transpires that joking about death (in a way which is,unlike me, mocking the death) or even glorifying in the death is totally acceptable according to your perception of the deceased (e g Margaret Thatcher),or if you happen to know the deceased personally (🙄).
Firstly your wit is not formidable, and your jokes are crap at best. That said I don't think there is anything mocking about the jokes and you have to laugh at death sometimes. Your jokes are just terrible but I would defend your right to make them.

You say is ok to laugh at death "sometimes". Who decides which times?

Hardy

Quote from: longballin on December 19, 2017, 11:52:19 AM

You think it should be formalised in law?

There's plenty of stuff he posts here to take T. Fearon to account over, but this po-faced virtue signalling in response to his inane but harmless attempts at humour is tiresome.

For what it's worth, here's the rule of thumb most of society seems to use: it's not only OK, it's necessary for our psychological well-being to laugh at death. But we do it out of earshot of the bereaved in the particular case. And we don't do it at all in the case of events that are likely to be hurtful to many even by being mentioned - e.g. the death of a child.

This forum is out of earshot of the world at large and certainly of those bereaved by the deaths about which TF posted.

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on December 19, 2017, 12:37:38 PM

There's plenty of stuff he posts here to take T. Fearon to account over, but this po-faced virtue signalling in response to his inane but harmless attempts at humour are tiresome.

For what it's worth, here's the rule of thumb most of society seems to use: it's not only OK, it's necessary for our psychological well-being to laugh at death. But we do it out of earshot of the bereaved in the particular case. And we don't do it at all in the case of events that are likely to be hurtful to many even by being mentioned - e.g. the death of a child.

This forum is out of earshot of the world at large and certainly of those bereaved by the deaths about which TF posted.

Hardy has spoken. Will everyone listen?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

longballin

Quote from: Orior on December 19, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on December 19, 2017, 12:37:38 PM

There's plenty of stuff he posts here to take T. Fearon to account over, but this po-faced virtue signalling in response to his inane but harmless attempts at humour are tiresome.

Hardy has spoken. Will everyone listen?

OK - as long as families affected won't hear we're getting a good laugh out of it. Sound