Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on May 14, 2018, 11:56:52 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 11:47:33 AM
My point was ignored. Nobody on the No side has dealt with it.

I dealt with it

QuoteIn response the poster armaghniac made a "point" that makes mere stupidity seem positively intellectual.

Once again, you can refute my point if you wish. Calling me stupid is not a refutation.
You didn't.

Calling my post "ballix" is not a refutation - that's what you did.

whitey

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:24:16 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 11:42:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 10:25:27 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 13, 2018, 09:59:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2018, 09:29:06 PM
Thousands of people travel to Las Vegas to gamble, that is not necessarily a justification for introducing similar gambling in Ireland.

You do realise how scummy these comparisons are, right? Are you just trying to offend at this stage?

I am making the point that laws do not have to be the same as in other places.  If you feel my comparison is not valid then you can argue your case, you obviously feel you cannot when you resort to abuse.

You're not making any point whatsoever.

Why respond to me, then?

Because what you posted compared healthcare with gambling or driving a fast car. Stop digging the hole you created for yourself deeper - you said something that is entirely indefensible.

WTF are you ranting about.....hes right.....just because something is legal in another country, doesnt mean it should automatically be legal in Ireland. 

Following your logic 14 year olds should be able to get married, regular joe soaps should be allowed to own automatic weapons, prostitution should be legal, euthenasia should be legal ...etc, etc.
Ignore him. He's just pretending to be offended because a stupid point by Sid got torpedoed.

Offended? Who's offended?

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 12:16:11 PM
Thousands of people travel to Las Vegas to gamble, that is not necessarily a justification for introducing similar gambling in Ireland.

You do realise how scummy these comparisons are, right? Are you just trying to offend at this stage?

I am making the point that laws do not have to be the same as in other places.  If you feel my comparison is not valid then you can argue your case, you obviously feel you cannot when you resort to abuse.

Why respond to me, then?

Because what you posted compared healthcare with gambling or driving a fast car. Stop digging the hole you created for yourself deeper - you said something that is entirely indefensible.

WTF are you ranting about.....hes right.....just because something is legal in another country, doesnt mean it should automatically be legal in Ireland. 

Following your logic 14 year olds should be able to get married, regular joe soaps should be allowed to own automatic weapons, prostitution should be legal, euthenasia should be legal ...etc, etc.
Ignore him. He's just pretending to be offended because a stupid point by Sid got torpedoed.

Pretty much the entirety of the No side.

Delicate snowflakes that they are.

Premier Emperor

Why respond to me, then?

The Syferus fella.
Mock outrage at a very valid point.

sid waddell

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 12:47:43 PM

Why respond to me, then?

The Syferus fella.
Syferus can speak for himself - I'm just laughing at the pig ignorant stupidity and inability to debate from the No side.

Keep it up, as somebody likes to say.

sid waddell

Personally I'm all for free speech - that's why I support publicising the not at all insane comments of John Waters.  ;D

Hot on the heels of the comments of Councillor Des Guckian that if the 8th Amendment is abolished "it will lead to sex slavery" and that "Hitler would be very happy", and the comments of the Bishop of Ossory that a rape victim having an abortion is worse for her than the rape itself, such reasonable opinion should do a great deal to win over the undecideds.

Keep it up, please, No campaigners.

QuoteComparisons between abortion and Holocaust spark walkouts during Limerick mass
https://www.irishcentral.com/news/john-waters-abortion-holocaust

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/310605/appalling-holocaust-comments-at-limerick-mass-as-speech-prompts-several-to-walk-out.html

QuoteChurchgoers in Limerick were moved to walk out of Mass this weekend following comments from controversial Irish journalist John Waters which allegedly drew parallels between the repeal of the constitutional ban on abortion in Ireland and the Holocaust. 

Waters, a pro-life campaigner, had been invited to speak at three services at Our Lady of the Rosary Church, Ennis Road, by parish priest Fr Des McAuliffe but some parishioners were so appalled by his comments, they walked out.

"He drew parallels between repealing the eighth amendment and Nazism – referring to Auschwitz and the Holocaust. That was the most frightening part," one parishioner told the Limerick Leader.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 12:54:50 PM

Why respond to me, then?

The Syferus fella.
Syferus can speak for himself - I'm just laughing at the pig ignorant stupidity and inability to debate from the No side.

EH.....Im in favor of a Yes vote!

I voted Yes in the poll and have said at least half a dozen times on here that Im in favor of a Yes vote.

The issue I see with many of the Yes supporters is that unless everyone wholeheartedly agrees with every single nuance of their various arguments, they get painted as something theyre not.

It is a schoolyard bully tactic to shut down debate and silence any dissenting opinions (even of those who agree with them in principle but maybe not on every detail)

This is exactly what happened with Brexit and Trump and we know how those votes both turned out

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:18:12 PM

Why respond to me, then?

The Syferus fella.

I voted Yes in the poll and have said at least half a dozen times on here that Im in favor of a Yes vote.

The issue I see with many of the Yes supporters is that unless everyone wholeheartedly agrees with every single nuance of their various arguments, they get painted as something theyre not.

It is a schoolyard bully tactic to shut down debate and silence any dissenting opinions (even of those who agree with them in principle but maybe not on every detail)

This is exactly what happened with Brexit and Trump and we know how those votes both turned out

Lolzers.

You are quite the snowflake.

I absolutely welcome different opinions, and if people want to throw out personal abuse, as the no side have been only too happy to do, I'm fine with that.

It just seems strange that there have been so few coherent opinions on the No side, and so few No supporting-posters who are willing to answer hard questions.

Very strange.

Premier Emperor

I've talked to dozens of people who are going to vote No, but are keeping their intentions private.
This is mainly because of how aggressive the Yes camp are to people who disagree with them.

sid waddell

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 14, 2018, 01:29:25 PM
I've talked to dozens of people who are going to vote No, but are keeping their intentions private.
This is mainly because of how aggressive the Yes camp are to people who disagree with them.
You should probably get out more.

The No side are anything but silent. And they're not a majority.

The bullying that has gone on during this campaign from the No side has been an absolute disgrace.

Religious fundamentalists standing outside maternity hospitals in intimidating women by thrusting giant pictures of dead foetuses in their faces, widespread ripping down of Yes posters, widespread comparisons to Nazis (who incidentally, elements of the No campaign actually have links to - Justin Barrett is a regular attendee at neo-Nazi events in Germany).

One can only imagine the reaction of the No side had Yes campaigners used giant pictures of dead women.

So I think we can agree that there's no equivalence here whatsoever. The behaviour of the No campaign has been an utter disgrace.

When they have such little argument, gutter politics is the only thing left for them.

sid waddell

Here's an another nice, reasonable view from Enda Sherlock, brother of leading No campaigner Cora Sherlock.

Billys Boots

I've talked to dozens of people who are going to vote Yes, but are keeping their intentions private.
This is mainly because of how aggressive the No camp are to people who disagree with them.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

sid waddell

And here's another very reasonable view from Enda Sherlock.

Don't recall Cora saying anything in objection to it...

AZOffaly

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 14, 2018, 01:18:12 PM

Why respond to me, then?

The Syferus fella.

Lolzers.

You are quite the snowflake.

I absolutely welcome different opinions, and if people want to throw out personal abuse, as the no side have been only too happy to do, I'm fine with that.

It just seems strange that there have been so few coherent opinions on the No side, and so few No supporting-posters who are willing to answer hard questions.

Very strange.

Believe whatever you want......this could be a lot closer than people think