Meath vs Antrim - Christy Ring Final

Started by thejuice, May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: lenny on June 06, 2016, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 06, 2016, 02:37:58 PM
If Croke Park agree or try to facilitate a replay they would be setting a dangerous precedent although they've replayed similar in the past and at other times not.
You gotta love this association as sometimes they make up the rules as they go along!

I wonder is there much heart in Antrim for replay as I get the impression they can't wait for this year to be over, senior inter-county hurling wise!

If I was an Antrim hurler I'd not be too bothered about a replay as I know when the Down lads who were involved in the game being blown up early in the first ever Christy Ring final didn't really want a replay but were a bit pissed off by the lack of support from the county board at the time.
Antrim CB will ask for a replay, CCC won't give it to them, a bit of a sweetener to the county coffers, a few vouchers for the players, everyone is happy....

If Antrim are awarded a replay then I presume Derry will be awarded a replay for the 1997 Ulster final v Cavan when Cavan were awarded a point for a shot which was clearly several feet wide and the difference at the end was one point. I'm sure several other teams will be looking for replays for injustices.

It's an entirely different situation to the one you describe above. This isn't the ref exercising his judgment incorrectly (awarding a point that was clearly wide, giving a yellow instead of a red card, blowing up 2 minutes early). This is a ref who "gave" the point but, for whatever reason, failing to add the total up correctly. Having awarded the point, the subsequent error made was objective rather than subjective (unless you argue that simple mathematics is subject to a discretion)

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Itchy on June 06, 2016, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 01:58:33 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on June 06, 2016, 01:49:01 PM
As an Antrim man i dont want the match replayed, seen the scenes after the game and meant so much to Meath how could they replicate that, or get up for a replay for that matter. Im sure we've all played in games and with 10 mins or so to go asked the score. now at that stage of the game we knew what we had to do to get over the line, Meath knew what they had to do to peg us back. and at that stage they done enough, simple. We threw the game away and couldn't see it out. Also when meath got their last free they took an age to take it just to put it out of play, would this have happened if they thought the game was a draw?

Best scenario is both teams play Liam next year, meath keep the cup and all us Antrim folk can boast we are back among the big boys again and get our wee pat on the head about keeping the game going 'up there' after another 15-20 point defeat. Role on next summer!

Going by what I saw on Saturday this outcome would be a moral victory!

What about the Antrim players, they trained all year too I'm sure. Should a false result be allowed to stand just because observers think that it meant more to Meath? That's a crazy precedent to set. The game must be replayed, if Antrim don't care about the result let them play a b team.

Agree with this.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on June 06, 2016, 02:53:47 PM
If Croke Park agree or try to facilitate a replay they would be setting a dangerous precedent although they've replayed similar in the past and at other times not.
You gotta love this association as sometimes they make up the rules as they go along!

I wonder is there much heart in Antrim for replay as I get the impression they can't wait for this year to be over, senior inter-county hurling wise!

If I was an Antrim hurler I'd not be too bothered about a replay as I know when the Down lads who were involved in the game being blown up early in the first ever Christy Ring final didn't really want a replay but were a bit pissed off by the lack of support from the county board at the time.
Antrim CB will ask for a replay, CCC won't give it to them, a bit of a sweetener to the county coffers, a few vouchers for the players, everyone is happy....

If Antrim are awarded a replay then I presume Derry will be awarded a replay for the 1997 Ulster final v Cavan when Cavan were awarded a point for a shot which was clearly several feet wide and the difference at the end was one point. I'm sure several other teams will be looking for replays for injustices.

It's an entirely different situation to the one you describe above. This isn't the ref exercising his judgment incorrectly (awarding a point that was clearly wide, giving a yellow instead of a red card, blowing up 2 minutes early). This is a ref who "gave" the point but, for whatever reason, failing to add the total up correctly. Having awarded the point, the subsequent error made was objective rather than subjective (unless you argue that simple mathematics is subject to a discretion)

Exactly. The rule book is very clear. An objection can be lodged on the basis a score has been incorrectly recorded or not recorded. It can't be lodged on the basis a score should or shouldn't have been given.

Itchy

It's incredible that no one on either bench that was tallying scores (as you do) asked the ref to check the score. It's almost unbelievable and it wouldn't happen at a club match. I was involved in a club match recently where the ref told me that we were 2 points up at half time and in my own head I counted 3. Checked with a few lads and all agreed with me. I asked the ref to check again and ask his umpire. He agreed as he has forgotten to mark a point down. It's just amazing no one did the same in a final in Croke park.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Itchy on June 06, 2016, 03:32:38 PM
It's incredible that no one on either bench that was tallying scores (as you do) asked the ref to check the score. It's almost unbelievable and it wouldn't happen at a club match. I was involved in a club match recently where the ref told me that we were 2 points up at half time and in my own head I counted 3. Checked with a few lads and all agreed with me. I asked the ref to check again and ask his umpire. He agreed as he has forgotten to mark a point down. It's just amazing no one did the same in a final in Croke park.

Woody McKinley said he alerted the sideline official to it during the match and got the brush off

Itchy

Sideline official has some serious questions to answer too then.

Milltown Row2

It happens very easily, keepers are firing puck outs as the ball just about goes over the bar, in Keeping with the rules the keeper can puck out once his players are outside the 21, writing it down wrong happens because he was rushed, but not clarifying it is criminal!!

At championship games you normally (club level)  have two umpires writing scores down and a lines man doing time ....

Pure stupidity by a number of people, surely Meath sideline had the scores totted up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Real Talk

Quote from: NAG1 on June 06, 2016, 02:30:05 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 06, 2016, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 06, 2016, 01:58:33 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on June 06, 2016, 01:49:01 PM
As an Antrim man i dont want the match replayed, seen the scenes after the game and meant so much to Meath how could they replicate that, or get up for a replay for that matter. Im sure we've all played in games and with 10 mins or so to go asked the score. now at that stage of the game we knew what we had to do to get over the line, Meath knew what they had to do to peg us back. and at that stage they done enough, simple. We threw the game away and couldn't see it out. Also when meath got their last free they took an age to take it just to put it out of play, would this have happened if they thought the game was a draw?

Best scenario is both teams play Liam next year, meath keep the cup and all us Antrim folk can boast we are back among the big boys again and get our wee pat on the head about keeping the game going 'up there' after another 15-20 point defeat. Role on next summer!

Going by what I saw on Saturday this outcome would be a moral victory!

What about the Antrim players, they trained all year too I'm sure. Should a false result be allowed to stand just because observers think that it meant more to Meath? That's a crazy precedent to set. The game must be replayed, if Antrim don't care about the result let them play a b team.

The game will be replayed there is no other outcome that can be reached.

Regardless of how it is dressed up it was a mighty balls up for all concerned, not hanging the ref out but he should have had back up on this and should have been in control of the score throughout the game, he clearly wasnt.

Shocking disregard to teams both shown on the Sunday game last night Anthony Daly was sure its only a bit of craic anyway and these lads wont mind regardless. Not the tone that would have been taken had this been a Munster match.
Absolutely dire and totally dishonest attitude by A Daly in particular and Brennan .... wonder how the same 'pundits' would have reacted if it had been a Clare/Kilkenny game ... not to mention Fitzy and Cody .... talk about inequality ...

Applesisapples

Totally different, in that instance the ref awarded the score and reported it as such. In this instance if the ref's report is a draw then a replay is the only outcome.

Fuzzman

I am no expert on the rules of the game but I really can't believe some of the views on this topic, even from some Antrim fans. I heard on the radio yesterday that Meath said they can't do a replay as some of their players are off to America now.

When I first heard about this incident I thought they will definitely have to play the game again as Antrim did not actually lose the game. To say "Ahh sure it's not that important who wins the cup and look at the poor Meath lads how happy they were, how could you take it away from them", simply demeans the competition and it sounds like a game just for a bit of craic.

I think the GAA need to tighten up the rules on things like this and look at any loop holes.
In 1995 I came away from my first AI final hoping that we might get a replay against the Dubs as Charlie Redmond was sent off but played on for a good few minutes. I'm just asking the question now what would happen if Kerry beat Dublin by a point but it turned out the score was wrong. Would there be a replay. I would expect there would be.

NAG1

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 07, 2016, 11:32:28 AM
I am no expert on the rules of the game but I really can't believe some of the views on this topic, even from some Antrim fans. I heard on the radio yesterday that Meath said they can't do a replay as some of their players are off to America now.

When I first heard about this incident I thought they will definitely have to play the game again as Antrim did not actually lose the game. To say "Ahh sure it's not that important who wins the cup and look at the poor Meath lads how happy they were, how could you take it away from them", simply demeans the competition and it sounds like a game just for a bit of craic.

I think the GAA need to tighten up the rules on things like this and look at any loop holes.
In 1995 I came away from my first AI final hoping that we might get a replay against the Dubs as Charlie Redmond was sent off but played on for a good few minutes. I'm just asking the question now what would happen if Kerry beat Dublin by a point but it turned out the score was wrong. Would there be a replay. I would expect there would be.

Think the president has pretty much said that there will be a replay, be some craic now if Meath refuse to play it. I can see this sorry saga rolling on for a while yet.

To be fair it is kind of in keeping with Antrim's whole season thus far anyway, short on hurling long on column inches.

MoChara

Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael, Aogán Ó Fearghail, has said the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) will meet today to rule on Saturday's disputed Christy Ring Cup Final.

Meath were crowned champions but it has been suggested there was an error in score-keeping and the match with Antrim actually ended in a draw. Speaking on the RTE Radio 1 show, 'Morning Ireland', after conducting the draw for Rounds 1A and 1B of the All-Ireland Football Qualifiers, Ó Fearghail confirmed the CCCC will convene on the matter today.

"We'll have a busy CCCC meeting obviously today. Our CCCC will meet to address these Qualifier draws that we've just done but they will address the match," he said. "The committee in charge will always take charge and take responsibility and they will do that in this case. They won't hedge or duck or dive from that.

"The referee's report will be considered. I said it yesterday and I'll say it today, fairness is very important. And if it's found by the CCCC in the issue of fairness that the game ended in a draw then they will act on that. Now, I can't pre-empt that. The CCCC will make that judgement, and there are always a lot of issues to be looked into.

"I'm not saying it will have to be replayed, I'm suggesting that the reports we're hearing, that the referee made a genuine error, which can happen, it's a human error. If the reports are accurate then the game ended in a draw, that's what I'm hearing. If it ended in a draw, it did, these things happen."

If the CCCC finds that the match did indeed end in a draw, Ó Fearghail said there is no mechanism by which Meath and Antrim will both be allowed to compete in the Round Robin of the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship next year. Only one team – the ultimate winners of the tie – can earn that reward.

"No, that's not an option," said Ó Fearghail. "That sounds nice at times and it's lovely to be nice to everyone and we would like to do that and I'm sure that's what people's instant reaction was but we have to be fair and we also have to be honest. They are the two things – being fair and being honest.

"The CCCC will consider the referee's report. If there's a winner, there's a winner, and that will also be a consideration. But if the referee did make a genuine human error and admits that then I've no doubt the CCCC will act fairly and if it ended in a draw there's only one action they can take.

"If it ended in a draw, and, again, I'm using the word 'if', then you have to have a winner. You can't have two winners."
http://www.gaa.ie/news/ccc-will-rule-christy-ring-cup-final-result/

MoChara

"The CCCC will consider the referee's report. If there's a winner, there's a winner, and that will also be a consideration. But if the referee did make a genuine human error and admits that then I've no doubt the CCCC will act fairly and if it ended in a draw there's only one action they can take."

Seems we'll have our answer soon enough

Tony Baloney

Well that's pretty much confirmed as a replay then. Can't even accuse the GAA of cynically promoting another fixture for financial gain as there will be about 15 people at it.

NAG1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 07, 2016, 01:43:46 PM
Well that's pretty much confirmed as a replay then. Can't even accuse the GAA of cynically promoting another fixture for financial gain as there will be about 15 people at it.

Newry next Saturday 5pm  ;)