Ruislip

Started by mylestheslasher, June 08, 2015, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I'm thinking of heading  to Ruislip for the Cavan v London match on the 20th. Never been before and haven't a notion about London or Ruislip. Any advice on good spots to stay the night after??

JoG2

Have been to Ruislip a good few times Myles. Ruislip is a typical borough of London. High St with typical english pubs Which are too bright and have too many slot machines. It's a good trip out on the Central line. the Days Inn would be your handiest hotel to the ground if you wanted to stay local with Heathrow being by far the handiest airport. I'd stay more central and travel out for the game then back in

there's a social club at the ground with reasonably priced beers.

FermGael

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 08, 2015, 07:50:14 PM
I'm thinking of heading  to Ruislip for the Cavan v London match on the 20th. Never been before and haven't a notion about London or Ruislip. Any advice on good spots to stay the night after??

I was there once.
Never want to see the place again
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Owenmoresider

Quote from: FermGael on June 08, 2015, 11:15:48 PM

I was there once.
Never want to see the place again
+1

(Probably for the same reason too)

Rossfan

South Ruislip the nearest Station if that's any help.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aaron Boone

Can't help thinking if it was Tyrone travelling, there'd be 5 pages by now on airports, tubes & Big Ben.

FermGael

We flew into Heathrow on the morning of the match.
Hired a car between us for the day and drove down to Ruslip.
Very handy drive and had a Sat Nav which made it hassle free.
Parked in he ground and then drove back to Heathrow for the last flight home that night.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

The Subbie

Quote from: FermGael on June 09, 2015, 09:29:54 AM
Parked in he ground and then drove back to Heathrow for the last flight home that night.

Deadly crack that....

FFS man one of only two possible foreign fixtures the GAA calendar can throw at you and you do a day trip? You should have been falling round Covent garden that night😀😀😀

Walter Cronc

Miserable huuuuuuuaaar

ballinaman

Recommend Camden, great spot for bars. Northern line southbound to Euston, change for Victoria line southbound and get off at Oxford circus......then hop on Central Line westbound to South Rusilp...take about 50 mins in total. Rusilip is a mile out and a kip. Avoid Leicester square at all costs....Temple bar crossed with The Only Way is Essex....

Camden has a rake of class bars...lock 17 by the canal/market is decent. The Oxford Arms is a good solid Mayo pub if you are looking for any Irish Sport/Sunday game that night.

Whitehair

Quote from: ballinaman on June 09, 2015, 09:45:28 AM
Recommend Camden, great spot for bars. Northern line southbound to Euston, change for Victoria line southbound and get off at Oxford circus......then hop on Central Line westbound to South Rusilp...take about 50 mins in total. Rusilip is a mile out and a kip. Avoid Leicester square at all costs....Temple bar crossed with The Only Way is Essex....

Camden has a rake of class bars...lock 17 by the canal/market is decent. The Oxford Arms is a good solid Mayo pub if you are looking for any Irish Sport/Sunday game that night.

No mention of the Swan Stockwell as a high quality establishment?  :o Championship days out in Ruislip are always a good excuse for a day on the beer for us exiles, looking forward to it.

ONeill

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 09, 2015, 09:38:17 AM

Miserable huuuuuuuaaar

Leave him alone. That kind of tale would have audiences spellbound at wakes in Fermanagh, with a round of applause and a couple of free drinks for the storyteller. Did you bring home any spices?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on June 10, 2015, 07:23:16 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 09, 2015, 09:38:17 AM

Miserable huuuuuuuaaar

Leave him alone. That kind of tale would have audiences spellbound at wakes in Fermanagh, with a round of applause and a couple of free drinks for the storyteller. Did you bring home any spices?
Got a wee bottle of olive oil for clearing ear wax.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Whitehair on June 09, 2015, 08:23:59 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 09, 2015, 09:45:28 AM

No mention of the Swan Stockwell as a high quality establishment?  :o Championship days out in Ruislip are always a good excuse for a day on the beer for us exiles, looking forward to it.

The prequel to my one and only appearance in London club football was a trip across the top shelf in that place. Was delighted to see a pretty old guy approaching me the next day at throw in. Fcuker never stopped running though, appearances were deceiving. No idea who won the game, there was a fair few rows and we all had a few pints after.

brianboru00

If your staying in central London? Try travelodge in Marylebone. 6 or 7 minutes to the West end by taxi . Its beside Marylebone Station on the bakerloo line also you can get the train direct from there to South Ruislip, takes less than 20 minutes.