Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 33070 times)

JoG2

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #225 on: October 18, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
Just heard that if Ireland succeed in winning their bid for hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup that all designated grounds for this  huge sporting and tourist event will be entitled to  large infrastructure grants both for the individual stadia and the cities in which the games will take place. If true that would mean that Derry City in general terms and Celtic Park in particular, as one of those designated grounds, would be in for a huge financial investment.

After all the years of official discrimination and untold suffering by so many innocent people  no city or county would deserve such a welcome bonus any better than the  good people of our own home place.

I would hope that Derry County Board,Derry City Council and all relevant government bodies,both north and south,would have proper provisional plans made for this exciting development were it to happen.

I am sure that all GAA followers in Derry and elsewhere would like to see the accommodation and playing facilities in Celtic Park updated and developed, particularly if it were to mean the allocation of substantial external grants to make the dream become a reality. Any posters out there know anything further about the prospects of this happening.

I know 2023 is a long time away but would it not be nice to see 2022 All Ireland winning Derry Senior football captain Brendan Rogers along with his vice captain Conor McAtamney show off the Sam Maguire Cup to the millions of the Irish diaspora across the world at the launch of the first World Rugby Cup game in Celtic Park!!! Unless we have such dreams and ambitions  no team or no management will ever achieve anything.Roll on 2018!

The last I heard was it was between CP and McHale Park as the final venue.

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 18, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »
Who do Ballinascreen play in the first round of the Ulster minor championship?

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
No. Would Gregory talk about "Derry City Council"? Infact, would anyone from Strabane call it that?!!

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2017, 10:23:11 PM »
Who do Ballinascreen play in the first round of the Ulster minor championship?

Draw not made yet. First Rd around the back end of November afaik

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »
There seems to be an awful dropout rate at the minute.  Lot of U21 games conceded and there are not enough games at underage level.  For all the coaching, lads need more games if clubs are going to get families to buy in.

Think counties (not just Derry) need to really look at the structures and get more players involved.  reserve leagues are dying on their feet.

I see there is a Roe Valley team entered in the MacRory or McLarnon Cups.  A great idea.

The likes of Brian Smith and Brian McIver should be pushing more of this type of thing.

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
To answer "The Impact Code's " query as to which club Derry Minor champions Ballinascreen are drawn against in the Ulster Minor club championship (officially known as St Paul's Belfast Tournament!!) to the best of my knowledge the draw has not been made yet.However I am open to correction on this.

More importantly I hope Ballinascreen keep up a proud Derry winning tradition in this tournament.They have many very good footballers and it would be nice to see them gain some provincial silverware.

In the past outstanding individuals like Tony Scullion,Matt Trolan and Brendan Kelly starred for the Derry Senior team on numerous occasions, a  mantle now carried on by Dermot McBride,Benny Heron and Carlus McWilliams.Every club needs an occasional extra boost and this competition can be an incentive for Ballinascreen to make the most of their opportunity.

This years star  minors like John Paul Devlin and Martin Bradley can do likewise.

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
We beat  Claudy by 1-16 to 0-13 tonight in  an entertaining under 21 B semi final , now  play glenullin in final on Sunday , ( Faughanvale v Lavey in A Final )

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Today at 12:14:49 AM »
To answer "The Impact Code's " query as to which club Derry Minor champions Ballinascreen are drawn against in the Ulster Minor club championship (officially known as St Paul's Belfast Tournament!!) to the best of my knowledge the draw has not been made yet.However I am open to correction on this.

More importantly I hope Ballinascreen keep up a proud Derry winning tradition in this tournament.They have many very good footballers and it would be nice to see them gain some provincial silverware.

In the past outstanding individuals like Tony Scullion,Matt Trolan and Brendan Kelly starred for the Derry Senior team on numerous occasions, a  mantle now carried on by Dermot McBride,Benny Heron and Carlus McWilliams.Every club needs an occasional extra boost and this competition can be an incentive for Ballinascreen to make the most of their opportunity.

This years star  minors like John Paul Devlin and Martin Bradley can do likewise.

Cheers DO but unfortunately JP done his cruciate against Swatragh in the Semi Final which just shows how much the lads stepped up in the Final with such an influential player missing!

Really looking forward to the Minor Tournament fingers crossed we can give it a good go.