FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 09, 2020, 01:11:27 PM
Interesting to see how Gleeson does in net, surprised to see Kyne has gone; He was no future All Star but certainly a bit better than a few gave him credit for and we're hardly well stocked in that department, is McFadden from Salthill on the panel? He's been the standout corner back at underage the last 5 years.

Any word on Comer, is he training?

I can't say I have too many expectations for this year, staying in division 1 has to be the first aim then take it from there.

Seems like galway are letting the years slip by with out giving proper display of themselves for various reasons ,]#there is an exceptionally talented bunch of players there including   possible xfactor players in walsh and Comer but its not really working out .  possible short of an exception midfielder an Aidan o shea  or david moran.
but either way Time is slipping  by
And this weeks result wont changed that either way
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Mayo team for Sunday.

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2. James Stretton - Claremorris
3. James McCormack - Claremorris
4. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
5. Padraig O'Hora - Ballina Stephenites
6. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Tom Parsons - Charlestown
9. Mikey Murray - Ballina Stephenites
10. Brian Walsh - Ballintubber
11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
12. Jordan Flynn - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
15. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

The FBD thread got me thinking of the whereabouts of the late lamented Syferus, formerly of this parish. So I just checked and it is a year today exactly since he last posted. Jan 9, 2019. Some coincidence.

Rossfan

Lucjy GAAboard.
He's still ruining stolensheep with his absolute boloxology.
He's got worse if anything and is finding any excuse to have a pop at Anthony Cunningham.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: rosnarun on January 09, 2020, 02:36:18 PM
Seems like galway are letting the years slip by with out giving proper display of themselves for various reasons ,]#there is an exceptionally talented bunch of players there including   possible xfactor players in walsh and Comer but its not really working out .  possible short of an exception midfielder an Aidan o shea  or david moran.
but either way Time is slipping  by
And this weeks result wont changed that either way

That is debatable IMO, there is potential there but players have to show it and be effective on the pitch match day in and match day out to be great, talent isn't worth much if it's not translated into effective performances. Joe Brolly last year referred to the "embarrassment of riches" in Galway and having been at most Galway matches last year I didn't see it then even accounting for the system etc. the level of talent is overhyped based on performances at Senior intercounty to date which is the only level that matters at the end of the day for the elite players.
The ills around Galway football were (rightly in some respects) blamed on Kevin Walsh but the players are certainly not consistent in their performances at Senior county level, expectations from certain Galway fans that the players are going be "unleashed" by PJ is highly optimistic but I'd love if it was the case obviously.

I think the hype around the Corofin lads skews the perspective on Galway football as well and while it's clear that the structure of the GAA calendar hasn't helped the Corofin players one bit at inter county level over their very successful club period, they are not stepping into the Galway panel and blowing the rest of the players out of the water either. Ian Burke who was excellent in 2018 was dreadful for Galway last year. Liam Silke looks a world beater for Corofin, he has never come close to that in a Galway jersey ever. I do think that Molloy should have been played more by KW, he has the best engine out of any of the Corofin lads and never got a fair shot really.

The most consistent player in terms of performance levels in 2019 was John Daly, who was in his first year on the Championship panel, that's a scathing indictment of the other players. His brother is a classic example of potential talent that hasn't done it yet, he'll look fantastic for 5 minutes in a match and then not be seen again for the rest of it, you have to wonder if maybe it's never going to happen for him. Galway can't be waiting on potential in Division One, while they are clearly in much more favourable team circumstances the likes of Clifford and O'Shea in Kerry, Fenton and O'Callaghan in Dublin aren't waiting around for it to happen, they've hit the top levels nearly straight away. McDaid is the most talented U21 of the last few years and his game is ideally suited to modern day football, he could be a game changer for Galway if he could hit the heights but injuries and the year out in Oz have held him back so far. It doesn't help either when the likes of Cooke, who I was hoping would really kick on this year, is unfortunately unavailable.

I hope that all Galway players give as good an account of themselves as possible this year but I genuinely have no idea how they will go and the jury is very much out on the management setup as well. 2020 could be great, it could be f**king awful as well.

galwayman

Yeah I don't think you could say there is an exceptionally talented bunch there. We have one exceptional talent in Shane Walsh who has struggled for consistency apart from the 2018 season (I still can't fathom how he didn't get an All Star that year).
We have some other excellent players - Comer, Ian Burke, Conroy for example - and then you are left with good solid players (I'm thinking Tom Flynn, Bradshaw, GOD) and players that have potential but are unproven (like Daly, Matthew Tierney, McDaid).
Any good team needs to have a solid foundation from back to front and if you look at ours - we don't have a reliable keeper (I haven't seen Gleeson play in goal only outfield - Power has been hit and miss) and I couldn't honestly hazard a guess as to what the makeup of our backline will be in 2020.
As you say - 2020 could be anything. A good year or a shit show - who knows.

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 09, 2020, 03:03:47 PM
Mayo team for Sunday.

Nice fbd lineout , happy to see loftus and Flynn there . Conor loftus is a fantastic kicker , be great to see him make no.11 his jersey .

Be good to get back on the horse again , the pleasant journey from heuston to castlebar on a cold fresh Sunday morning to watch the green n red , heaven let me tell ya .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2020, 04:35:25 PM
Lucjy GAAboard.
He's got worse if anything and is finding any excuse to have a pop at Anthony Cunningham.
What's the name of the Rossie website?
I thought it was stolensheep.com but I see that domain is for sale.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

giveballaghback

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 09, 2020, 08:54:05 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2020, 04:35:25 PM
Lucjy GAAboard.
What's the name of the Rossie website?
I thought it was stolensheep.com but I see that domain is for sale.
Its Stolen sheep Lar but please save yourself the pain, syf got worse in the last 12 months if that was possible.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2020, 01:15:59 AM
Herrins obviously concentrating on the FBD this year  ;D

He has at least 20 missing through club & Nuig, may be a few more with other colleges. About 5 more injured that we know of (Kerin included for those speculating). Unless he has about 60 lads in the training panel, he has little choice but to play those named, hence the strange full back line.

How are the homophobes looking this year? Decent against Sligo?

GaillimhIarthair

Mayo team for Sunday.

Fair play to Tom Parsons, honestly didnt think he would make it back to IC football after that horrendous injury he sustained 18 months ago against Galway - a remarkable recovery on his behalf for sure.

rosnarun

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on January 10, 2020, 08:26:22 AM
Mayo team for Sunday.

Fair play to Tom Parsons, honestly didnt think he would make it back to IC football after that horrendous injury he sustained 18 months ago against Galway - a remarkable recovery on his behalf for sure.

Always thought  he would be back , he need that to drive him through recovery but to get him back where he was that would be the miracle . but if any one can Tom Can .
looking forward to seeing McCormack at full nack . he looks a fine player hopefully this is his spot. Mayo have been a long time without a regular full back.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Mayo team for Sunday.

Yes fair play to him and indeed Paul Conroy. Both in their 30s now and were determined those horrific injuries weren't the end of their county careers
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 10, 2020, 04:00:12 PM
Mayo team for Sunday.

Yes fair play to him and indeed Paul Conroy. Both in their 30s now and were determined those horrific injuries weren't the end of their county careers
Absolutely, was remiss of me not to mention our own lad!  Always expected Paul back to be honest, just thought Parsons injury was very severe but a great testament to the two of them.

Not much at stake tomorrow but will be a good run out for the more inexperienced lads.