FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

If rumours are to be believed - it seems as if there are a number of players dropped from the panel for 2020. Eoin Kerin, Sean Andy O Ceallaigh and Declan Kyne being three of the more prominent ones in that they have been starters in recent years.
I find this strange personally as all 3 play in the fullback line and we are not known to have much depth/cover in that area.

UpMeeyo

Quote from: galwayman on January 08, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
If rumours are to be believed - it seems as if there are a number of players dropped from the panel for 2020. Eoin Kerin, Sean Andy O Ceallaigh and Declan Kyne being three of the more prominent ones in that they have been starters in recent years.
I find this strange personally as all 3 play in the fullback line and we are not known to have much depth/cover in that area.

It looks like PJ has noticed he has about 12 squad players looking to play as half backs and has decided to try square-peg-round-hole them into full back positions. It could work out very well or terribly, time will tell. Liam Silke has one of those spots with his name on it. I don't think anyone is surprised that he has targeted his FB line as an area in need of reform.

Interesting that 9 of the starting 15 are from north galway (and you could argue its really 11 if Athenry and Monivea are included) Most likely a sign of things to come. I've always thought Galway should have been playing more men from the north, I wonder is this going too far in that direction. Who is Galways last manager from the North, is it Pre Johno?

Tubberman

Quote from: UpMeeyo on January 08, 2020, 11:49:13 AM

It looks like PJ has noticed he has about 12 squad players looking to play as half backs and has decided to try square-peg-round-hole them into full back positions. It could work out very well or terribly, time will tell. Liam Silke has one of those spots with his name on it. I don't think anyone is surprised that he has targeted his FB line as an area in need of reform.

Interesting that 9 of the starting 15 are from north galway (and you could argue its really 11 if Athenry and Monivea are included) Most likely a sign of things to come. I've always thought Galway should have been playing more men from the north, I wonder is this going too far in that direction. Who is Galways last manager from the North, is it Pre Johno?

Bosco McDermott? Val Daly if that's considered North Galway?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GalwayBayBoy

I wish they would release an official training squad. It would put an end to all the rumours and loose talk of x, y and z being on or off the panel or having being cut or not cut.

An Fhairche Abu

In fairness to the management and players not every departure will be as a result of players being dropped, some players that won't feature in 2020 have stepped away of their own accord.

The North/West Galway football divide is one of the most tiresome and outdated tropes at this stage, it's not the 1960's anymore. Best man for the position regardless of their club should be the aim. If that means 15 North Board players starting I've no issue with that whatsoever once it's on merit but if Galway are to expect great things merely because there are more North Galway players then we should prepare for disappointment.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 07, 2020, 11:04:06 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 07, 2020, 10:29:13 PM
Galway team for the weekend as per GAA.ie's Cian O'Connell:
C Gleeson
C Murray
G O'Donnell
J Heaney
E Brannigan
J Daly
C McDaid
T Flynn
F O Curraoin
P Kelly
M Daly
M Boyle
A Varley
S Walsh
P Conroy

Experienced line up for a FBD game. I think 11 of that team has played in Connacht senior finals

Two weeks out from the first round of the NFL with no guarantee of a game next week - not sure why anyone would be going with an experimental lineup.

UpMeeyo

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 08, 2020, 12:35:38 PM

The North/West Galway football divide is one of the most tiresome and outdated tropes at this stage, it's not the 1960's anymore. Best man for the position regardless of their club should be the aim. If that means 15 North Board players starting I've no issue with that whatsoever once it's on merit but if Galway are to expect great things merely because there are more North Galway players then we should prepare for disappointment.

I Agree! Im not sure that always happened though, the sweeney brothers and even bradshaw come to mind. I think the popular oinion is that Kieran Molloy should have been starting the last 2 years for galway. I have a feeling PJ might go too far the other way though looking at that 15. Its hard not to have bias for your own I suppose. Is that killererin fella any good?

UpMeeyo

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2020, 12:43:49 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 07, 2020, 11:04:06 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 07, 2020, 10:29:13 PM
Galway team for the weekend as per GAA.ie's Cian O'Connell:
C Gleeson
C Murray
G O'Donnell
J Heaney
E Brannigan
J Daly
C McDaid
T Flynn
F O Curraoin
P Kelly
M Daly
M Boyle
A Varley
S Walsh
P Conroy

Experienced line up for a FBD game. I think 11 of that team has played in Connacht senior finals

Two weeks out from the first round of the NFL with no guarantee of a game next week - not sure why anyone would be going with an experimental lineup.

I have a feeling the mayo team will be more experimental, a lot of young forwards theyll be trying to bring through, The likes of Ryan O Donoghue, may be a bit early for Tommy Conroy but we'll see. even plunkett and mccormack in the half back line, interesting to see.

MayoBuck

Ryan O'Donoghue and Tommy Conroy are playing Sigerson this weekend so won't be involved. Gary Boylan and Liam Irwin should start assuming both are fit. It will be interesting to see who Horan puts marking Paul Conroy in the Galway full forward line as there's no obvious candidate.

Have Gary O'Donnell and Heaney played much in those positions before?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 08, 2020, 01:25:07 PM
Have Gary O'Donnell and Heaney played much in those positions before?

I doubt it.

thebackbar1

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 08, 2020, 12:33:54 PM

I wish they would release an official training squad. It would put an end to all the rumours and loose talk of x, y and z being on or off the panel or having being cut or not cut.
I couldn't agree more, one thing Galway GAA needs to understand is that in the era of social media if you don't publish news someone else will

An Fhairche Abu

Sure the official Galway GAA twitter account is flat out busy posting news of the Hurling Club All Star Awards taking place in Kilbeacanty at the weekend as it is. A quick retweet of the Tuam Herald will do for the football news.

Blowitupref

From the the Mayo news on who played in the recent challenge v NUIG and might give idea as to what type of team Horan will line out with.

Brendan Harrison, Michael Plunkett, Tom Parsons, Conor Loftus and Kevin McLoughlin forming an experienced spine to the team while David Clarke, Stephen Coen, Diarmuid O'Connor and All Star defender Paddy Durcan also featured at various stages.
Fergal Boland also lined out, 24 hours after playing with Tooreen in Saturday's All-Ireland Intermediate club championship semi-final defeat in Tullamore.
The Mayo management also used the opportunity to take a look at the likes of David Kenny (who also hurls with Tooreen), Ballina's Padraig O'Hora and Mikey Murray, Brian Reape from Moy Davitts and Ballintubber duo Bryan Walsh and Brian Murphy.
All of the aforementioned players could feature again next weekend but Mayo will definitely be without the likes of Matthew Ruane, Eoin O'Donoghue and Tommy Conroy (NUI, Galway); James Carr, Fionn McDonagh and Ryan O'Donoghue (University of Limerick); Stephen Coen (UCD), Oisin McLaughlin (Trinity College) and Ben Doyle (Maynooth University) who are all on Sigerson Cup duty on Sunday.
Oisin Mullin, who is also in NUI, Galway is also lining out with Kilmaine in the All-Ireland Junior championship on Saturday; while Aidan O'Shea, who is abroad on holidays, will also be absent next weekend.

It's 2012 since Mayo reached the FBD Final and they have lost their last 4 games against Galway in MacHale Park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Duine Eile

Quote from: UpMeeyo on January 08, 2020, 12:59:35 PM

I Agree! Im not sure that always happened though, the sweeney brothers and even bradshaw come to mind. I think the popular oinion is that Kieran Molloy should have been starting the last 2 years for galway. I have a feeling PJ might go too far the other way though looking at that 15. Its hard not to have bias for your own I suppose. Is that killererin fella any good?

He's decent, he was on the fringes of the panel last year and captained the u-21s in recent years. Not sure if he's up to inter county but we'll soon find out.

Maroon Manc

Interesting to see how Gleeson does in net, surprised to see Kyne has gone; He was no future All Star but certainly a bit better than a few gave him credit for and we're hardly well stocked in that department, is McFadden from Salthill on the panel? He's been the standout corner back at underage the last 5 years.

Any word on Comer, is he training?

I can't say I have too many expectations for this year, staying in division 1 has to be the first aim then take it from there.