FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 05, 2018, 09:23:47 PM
Galway City and West team to play Mayo on Sunday 🙄

1. Ruairí Lavelle (Renvyle)
2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir)
4. Evan Wynne (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
5. Cathal Sweeney (Killannin)
6. Gareth Bradshaw (Maigh Cuilinn)
7. Seán Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
8. Paul Conroy (St. James')
9. Kieran Duggan (Annaghdown)
10. Eamonn Brannigan (St. Michael's)
11. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
12. David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
13. Dessie Conneely (Maigh Cuilinn)
14. Patrick Sweeney (Killannin)
15. Padraic Cunningham (Headford)

5 from Moycullen? Seriously?

Isn't Padraic Cunningham the Padraic Cunningham that's been a striker for Galway United the past couple years?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 05, 2018, 10:19:35 PM
Galway City and West team to play Mayo on Sunday 🙄

Isn't Padraic Cunningham the Padraic Cunningham that's been a striker for Galway United the past couple years?
Yup, that's him alright.  Very talented underage player so will be interesting to see how he gets on in the short term - good to see him getting an opportunity all the same.

Duine Eile

You'd wonder what the plan is though, will he be able to keep the soccer and the football going at the same time? Is there much overlap?

sligoman

I didn't make the Sligo game during the week but good to see so many new faces getting introduced. The squad certainly needs a shake up. I noted that there were no Tourlestrane players involved at the weekend, I presume this was just a coincidence as they usually have the highest number of panelists and Kelly and McIntyre have established themselves as starters and were two of our best performers last year.

From talking to friend who was at the match, McGuinness had a great game at full back. I think he's had a few injury setbacks since minor but he definitely looked the long term solution to the full back role when he played at that grade. The other player who really stood out in defence for me on that minor side was Sean Power, does anyone know if he;s still involved.

I still have yet to see any sort of list published of players who earned a call up but it's good to see new faces in rather than the same old players who get the winter runout but are abandoned for the league and Championship. I would hope we will be looking at other options in the goalkeeping department and we can get some sort of injury-free run from Cian Breheny this year as he's a player who really has the athleticism and score taking ability for the modern game.

Also good to see lots of faces from West Sligo coming back into the squad and more of a representation of all clubs on the panel.

galwayman

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 05, 2018, 10:35:29 PM
You'd wonder what the plan is though, will he be able to keep the soccer and the football going at the same time? Is there much overlap?
He won't be doing both.
If he makes the football squad - he won't be playing soccer I'd be pretty sure of that.
If he doesn't he'll probably re-sign for them.
He hasnt signed for them for next season as of now.

Blowitupref

Galway City and West team to play Mayo on Sunday

I know Galway have injuries and the Corofin lads are away until their season is over but how many of that starting 15 does Galway supporters reckon will start round 1 of the NFL  v Tyrone?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

REDCOL

Three of that Galway team started against Kerry in QF. Two more came on. None of the forwards involved against Kerry bar Brannigan who played at Wing Back when he came on against Sligo

galwayman

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 06, 2018, 10:16:18 AM

I know Galway have injuries and the Corofin lads are away until their season is over but how many of that starting 15 does Galway supporters reckon will start round 1 of the NFL  v Tyrone?
Only just realised that the 2 Annaghdown lads & Headford man are the only lads from the North involved. That's a big turnaround.
It's hard to know how many of that team will be involved against Tyrone.
Many of the absentees won't be back until later in the league.
I think Damien Comer, Shane Walsh will be back for the league but a good chunk of this team will probably be involved against Tyrone.

Syferus

Conneely looked good playing off Evan Murphy back in 2016, but I suppose most would.

However experermental the Galway side is the Mayo team they'll be playing is going to be Frankenstein's monster stuff. I'd like to see Akram getting a proper chance in the FBD because he's electric.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2018, 02:12:30 PM
Conneely looked good playing off Evan Murphy back in 2016, but I suppose most would.

However experermental the Galway side is the Mayo team they'll be playing is going to be Frankenstein's monster stuff. I'd like to see Akram getting a proper chance in the FBD because he's electric.
Akram has looked good for sure anytime I've seen him.
Conneely's lack of physique will tell against him I think.
Have seen quite a bit of him and while he's a decent player - I don't think he's quite good enough for senior level. Time will tell anyhow.
Mayo seem to have high hopes for Brian Reape.

GalwayBayBoy

Of that list I'd say Kerin, Sean Andy, Bradshaw, Conroy, Brannigan and Cooke will probably start. Maybe Lavelle too but who knows with the goalkeepers. Everyone else is up in the air at the moment.

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 06, 2018, 02:41:23 PM

Of that list I'd say Kerin, Sean Andy, Bradshaw, Conroy, Brannigan and Cooke will probably start. Maybe Lavelle too but who knows with the goalkeepers. Everyone else is up in the air at the moment.
Cathal Sweeney too.
Big Kev generally selects him if he is fit.
He has a soft spot for both Sweeney's!

An Fhairche Abu

I wouldn't be panicking over the representation from any club at this time of year Duine Eile, there is no earthly way Moycullen will have 5 starters every day, given a full pick against Mayo next May there won't even be a chance of 5 Corofin lads in there.
Genuine question and without descending into a West/North Galway argument, who are the North board players who are available currently and haven't got a run in the two matches so far that should be playing?

There's a bit of a rush to anoint Sean Andy and Cooke as certs for the first fifteen as well, you'd be very hopeful they'll turn into good players but realistically we have no idea how they are going to fare at Senior level.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 06, 2018, 04:48:49 PM
I wouldn't be panicking over the representation from any club at this time of year Duine Eile, there is no earthly way Moycullen will have 5 starters every day, given a full pick against Mayo next May there won't even be a chance of 5 Corofin lads in there.
Genuine question and without descending into a West/North Galway argument, who are the North board players who are available currently and haven't got a run in the two matches so far that should be playing?

There's a bit of a rush to anoint Sean Andy and Cooke as certs for the first fifteen as well, you'd be very hopeful they'll turn into good players but realistically we have no idea how they are going to fare at Senior level.

Don't think there is much choice with Sean Andy. Do we even have another full-back in the squad apart from Kyne (who we've seen there before) and Sean Mulkerrin (who is even younger than Sean Andy)?

I don't think David Walsh who started against Kerry is even in the squad any more.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 06, 2018, 05:14:50 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 06, 2018, 04:48:49 PM

Don't think there is much choice with Sean Andy. Do we even have another full-back in the squad apart from Kyne (who we've seen there before) and Sean Mulkerrin (who is even younger than Sean Andy)?

I don't think David Walsh who started against Kerry is even in the squad any more.
He didn't look good enough in the FBD last year, hard to believe he was given a start v Kerry in AI Quarter final