FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brapbrap

Quote from: Syferus on January 23, 2017, 07:39:26 PM
Quote from: Ringfort on January 23, 2017, 06:54:13 PM
What would be a rough breakdown of "Mayo people" and "Roscommon people" in Ballaghaderreen? 50/50? What about the clubs rural catchment area, is that considered Mayo or Ros territory? What about blow ins ie people with no previous Mayo or Ros connection for example Akram that plays for Mayo. Would they say they were from Roscommon or Mayo? Are there any Ros people in the Ballaghaderreen GAA catchment that travel out to Eire Og or Western Gaels so they can play in Roscommon? What about the Ballagh club hierarchy, is that staunchly Mayo or do Rossies get involved and just accept that the situation as it's been for years?

I'm not on the windup, just genuinely interested. Don't know anyone from Ballagh!

Once you get past the Welcome Kuwait sign on the outskirts of town it's Roscommon by and large. It should be noted Andy's family home is nearer Lisacul than Ballagh itself. The biggest concentration of confused people are in the town proper but the area itself is mostly Roscommon. A fairer representation of the area is the make-up of Nathys. Pulls loads from all sides. Even some Eastern Harps lads too. A bunch of Ballagh players are Rossies (not the confused kind) but obviously the OAPs running the club are closer to Taliban commanders than moderates on the Mayo side.

Akram's dah works in Castlerea. More's the pity he didn't choose to live there too.

Seems to me most of the animosity comes from outside the area. People in the area just get on with life. It's still one community at the end of the day. Most families have people on both sides. There is no day-to-day divide in town and the craic is always good natured.

What Andy did trying to get back at slaggers was also punch half of his own hometown in the face, a lot of people who have been nothing but supportive of him despite his choice to play against rather than for his home county. That's what's saddest about it. He let his town down because anyone looking in will see is Ballagh the divided and not Ballagh the community.

It's a pity people who are born in Roscommon and fully identify as Roscommon men can't play for their own county. For me until that is corrected this will be an open wound and one any Connacht Council could fix quite easily but their continual inaction speaks volumes as to where their priorities lay.

Get your facts straight you moron

Syferus

What a pointless thread for a pointless competition.

Brapbrap

What's more pointless are the paragraphs of drivel you just wrote about Ballagh. Pretty much none of it true. Like if you are going to answer questions about the town at least tell the truth. Stop spouting horseshite.

larryin89

How in the name of fook can one man type so many untruths . you're not well lad. Ballagh this balagh that and ya know fook all about ballagh at all or Andy for that matter. SFA is what you know. You're actually an embarrassment to your own at this stage. No rossie I know is as concerned about Mayo as you are.joker
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

Roscommon seemed to take off their more experienced players, Mayo brought theirs onto the field

Senior county football is a steep learning curve, especially against a team that has contested so many all Ireland semis and finals

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

macdanger2

Huge win for Mayo, we've had two major hoodoos over the past few years - Roscommon in January and Dublin in September, great to banish the first of them, surely only a matter of time til the second one falls  ;D

Great to see that Andy in good form too  ;D ;D

moysider

This is a great thread. Pity there is a final to be played to detract from the substantive issue.

rrhf

One photo perhaps sums up why Mayo wins fcuk all cups.

Crete Boom

Quote from: rrhf on January 24, 2017, 07:52:56 AM

I know 3 All Ireland Titles is a poor return for any county!!! On the bright side at least Mayo did back to back titles as only a truly pathetic county doesn't manage back to back All Ireland's!! 8)

Tubberman

Quote from: Crete Boom on January 24, 2017, 09:10:44 AM
Quote from: rrhf on January 24, 2017, 07:52:56 AM

I know 3 All Ireland Titles is a poor return for any county!!! On the bright side at least Mayo did back to back titles as only a truly pathetic county doesn't manage back to back All Ireland's!! 8)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Brapbrap

Quote from: Syferus on January 23, 2017, 07:39:26 PM
Quote from: Ringfort on January 23, 2017, 06:54:13 PM
What would be a rough breakdown of "Mayo people" and "Roscommon people" in Ballaghaderreen? 50/50? What about the clubs rural catchment area, is that considered Mayo or Ros territory? What about blow ins ie people with no previous Mayo or Ros connection for example Akram that plays for Mayo. Would they say they were from Roscommon or Mayo? Are there any Ros people in the Ballaghaderreen GAA catchment that travel out to Eire Og or Western Gaels so they can play in Roscommon? What about the Ballagh club hierarchy, is that staunchly Mayo or do Rossies get involved and just accept that the situation as it's been for years?

I'm not on the windup, just genuinely interested. Don't know anyone from Ballagh!

Once you get past the Welcome Kuwait sign on the outskirts of town it's Roscommon by and large. It should be noted Andy's family home is nearer Lisacul than Ballagh itself. The biggest concentration of confused people are in the town proper but the area itself is mostly Roscommon. A fairer representation of the area is the make-up of Nathys. Pulls loads from all sides. Even some Eastern Harps lads too. A bunch of Ballagh players are Rossies (not the confused kind) but obviously the OAPs running the club are closer to Taliban commanders than moderates on the Mayo side.

Akram's dah works in Castlerea. More's the pity he didn't choose to live there too.

Seems to me most of the animosity comes from outside the area. People in the area just get on with life. It's still one community at the end of the day. Most families have people on both sides. There is no day-to-day divide in town and the craic is always good natured.

What Andy did trying to get back at slaggers was also punch half of his own hometown in the face, a lot of people who have been nothing but supportive of him despite his choice to play against rather than for his home county. That's what's saddest about it. He let his town down because anyone looking in will see is Ballagh the divided and not Ballagh the community.

It's a pity people who are born in Roscommon and fully identify as Roscommon men can't play for their own county. For me until that is corrected this will be an open wound and one any Connacht Council could fix quite easily but their continual inaction speaks volumes as to where their priorities lay.

Number 1) Its a welcome Qatar sign.

Number 2) Andy's parents moved out to that new house 4/5 years ago. They always lived in the town prior to that and he has bought a house in the town he never lived in the new house.

Number 3) the area itself is mostly Mayo probably in the region of 70/30 the parish is quite small and within the parish itself its at least 70/30 Mayo arguably more. Your confusion lies in the fact that a large portion of people from the Western Gaels and Eire Og clubs would work, shop and drink in the town. This does not equate to the large portion of the area. Majority of the Ballaghaderreen is Mayo.

Number 4) Theres not a bunch of players that are Rossies by any stretch. In 2012 there were 3 players out of a panel of 36 that won the championship who were Ross supporters. Currently there is 1 of the panel that would be a Roscommon supporter so not really the bunch you claim.

Number 5) Akram is a Mayo player and staunch Mayo so you can park that bus.

Number 6) Andy made no choice he's a Ballaghaderreen player and as a Ballaghaderreen player was selected to play for the Mayo minors in 2000. There was no choice to make nor will there ever be.

Number 7) Bottom line is there are little to no players in the club who identify as Roscommon and there has never even been a clamor from the Roscommon lads in the club to have that option.

Number 8) Andy didn't let his town he's an phenomenal ambassador for Ballaghaderreen and despite what outsiders might think about divisions or the like i can assure anyone with any doubt there is nothing of the sort in Ballagh. They are the facts from somebody very much in the know. 

oliverkelly

Can we please stop talking about Ballagh. Regardless of who lads from the town support or where they say they are from they play for Mayo. Andy Moran let everyone know how he feels about Roscommon at the weekend and to be honest made himself out to be a pathetic clown. I was at the game and there was Zero abuse, He started any ill feeling towards him by somehow persuading the linesman to disallow a genuine point.  His antics at the end were embarrassing for such a game and such an occasion. A group of Mayo lads beside me who were absolute gents turned around me at the time and said "What a Gobshite" Roscommon were already through result meant nothing and to celebrate way he did tells a lot about him. Just hope some of our lads have the balls to sort him out the next day

Brapbrap

Quote from: oliverkelly on January 24, 2017, 10:38:08 AM
Can we please stop talking about Ballagh. Regardless of who lads from the town support or where they say they are from they play for Mayo. Andy Moran let everyone know how he feels about Roscommon at the weekend and to be honest made himself out to be a pathetic clown. I was at the game and there was Zero abuse, He started any ill feeling towards him by somehow persuading the linesman to disallow a genuine point.  His antics at the end were embarrassing for such a game and such an occasion. A group of Mayo lads beside me who were absolute gents turned around me at the time and said "What a Gobshite" Roscommon were already through result meant nothing and to celebrate way he did tells a lot about him. Just hope some of our lads have the balls to sort him out the next day

Starts off by saying can we please stop talking about Ballagh then launches into a rant about a player from Ballagh

Rossfan

The FBD League Final is between most of Roscommon and Galway next Sunday at 2 in Syferus Park.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM