FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Michael Meehan is 32 - will be 33 next year! Meehan is a prime example of a talented player pleasing to many coaches in the early part of his career. Being so talented and irreplaceable Meehan came back from injuries to early or worse still he played with injuries. Such were the demands on him these injuries became chronic. The pressures for him to play in his hay-day must have been Eminence. Worse still, many questioned his character during most of this.

galwayman

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 08, 2016, 07:48:14 PM
Michael Meehan is 32 - will be 33 next year! Meehan is a prime example of a talented player pleasing to many coaches in the early part of his career. Being so talented and irreplaceable Meehan came back from injuries to early or worse still he played with injuries. Such were the demands on him these injuries became chronic. The pressures for him to play in his hay-day must have been Eminence. Worse still, many questioned his character during most of this.
Questioned his character?
Certainly in Galway nobody questioned Mikeys character.
Far from it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: galwayman on December 08, 2016, 10:31:24 PM
Far from it.

Ah, I can remember him being injured or getting injured and people looking to the heavens as if he was putting it on!

PW Nally

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 08, 2016, 10:39:31 PM
Quote from: galwayman on December 08, 2016, 10:31:24 PM
Far from it.

Ah, I can remember him being injured or getting injured and people looking to the heavens as if he was putting it on!
Anyone that knows the Meehans would not question their character. Not many had a go at Michael from my recollection other than the usual few morons that follow every team. Man was made to play gaelic football and the shame is that he was ruined with injuries at an early age.

sligoman2

Meehan was a class player and person.  He had bad luck with injuries but was brilliant when fully fit.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

seafoid

He was the most talented of the 3 brothers.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Was it not one specific injury to his ankle rather than loads of separate ones?

PW Nally

Quote from: seafoid on December 09, 2016, 09:14:40 AM
More than 3 brothers in it, 5 started club final against An Ghaeltacht.

seafoid

Quote from: PW Nally on December 09, 2016, 12:45:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 09, 2016, 09:14:40 AM
More than 3 brothers in it, 5 started club final against An Ghaeltacht.
I thought only 3 played for the county

Maroon Manc

6 Meehan brothers from memory, another one was on the bench for the club final.

galwayman

Yeah 6 of them Mikey, Declan, Noel, Tomas, Enda and Seamus.

Mikey, Declan and Tomas played senior for a good while & Noel was in the squad under Johnno for a while.
He played against Tyrone in a qualifier in Croker in 2004 definitely.

Syferus

Senan Kilbride has retired. Young enough but not entirely unexpected. Don't think we ever really got to see him reach his potential at IC but he was a quality FF at his best. Missed out on what would have been his one Connacht medal in 2010 with a season long injury. His performance for Brigids in their AI winning season will live long in the memory. Thanks for carrying the torch, Senan.

McStay is going to find out if the kids have what it takes one way or the other now with Senan, Carthy and Claffey retired and Donie, Purcell let go. And throw in Cregger, Collins and Ian K probably being gone for an extended part of 2017 at the very best.

Rossfan

Aye indeed farewell to Senan.
Had good days and bad but I think it was time for him to pack it in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MayoBuck

Probably time to move on to 2017 now instead of talking about 2015's affairs...

The Mayo News confirmed that most of the Mayo senior squad are leaving for their team holiday next week so will miss at least the first round of the FBD League. DO'C, Paddy Durcan (both DCU) & Stephen Coen (UCD) will be playing O'Byrne Cup so won't be playing any FBD. Keegan and Keane will also be unavailable due to club commitments with Westport. New players called up include Rory Byrne, Donie Newcombe and Neil Douglas from Castlebar Mitchels and 5 or 6 from this year's U21s.

Always interesting going to these games to see some new faces.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2016, 06:30:45 PM
Aye indeed farewell to Senan.
Had good days and bad but I think it was time for him to pack it in.
How old is he and what sort of injuries does he have?