FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I don't understand ye sometimes.  Many college players are not county players but good club players.  Now ye want to shaft those club players by denying them the right to play against a county team, for many of them this will be the only chance they will have to play against a county team.
Don't be bitching about the poor club player with one side of your mouth and then deny many of them a chance to play against a county team.
I'm sure the colleges look forward to the chance to play against counties and the county managers get a chance to look at new players probably on both teams.
I like the concept of the FBD I just think they should rotate the teams so you get a chance to play against all teams.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

One division will be stuck with two colleges in that system. We only get a single halfways decent warm-up match for the NFL most years because we're saddled with two colleges. Get them out to fück. If they want to play each other let then away with it.

muppet

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 15, 2016, 01:06:47 PM
I don't understand ye sometimes.  Many college players are not county players but good club players.  Now ye want to shaft those club players by denying them the right to play against a county team, for many of them this will be the only chance they will have to play against a county team.
Don't be bitching about the poor club player with one side of your mouth and then deny many of them a chance to play against a county team.
I'm sure the colleges look forward to the chance to play against counties and the county managers get a chance to look at new players probably on both teams.
I like the concept of the FBD I just think they should rotate the teams so you get a chance to play against all teams.

So should club teams be allowed to play county teams?
MWWSI 2017

Cunny Funt

The top college sides DCU,UUJ etc are full of county players you probably would have to look to their intermediate sides to find non county footballer playing for them. Sligo IT when they were winning sigerson cups were the same NUIG had some star studded teams down through the years aswell I don't recall GMIT ever having top side but I suppose the Galway Mayo IT is the least glamorous college to attend.

Next January GMIT,NUIG,Sligo IT will fare off against Mayo,Galway,Sligo and Roscommon sides with about 3 or 4 championship starters in their line ups and no more than a few hundred will go to watch these games, now that is hardly something to even whet the appetite for the poor club player is it?

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on November 15, 2016, 11:46:11 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 14, 2016, 12:01:43 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 09, 2016, 10:56:33 PM

Ok, unless there is a retirement or a few, and maybe likes of McLoughlin opting out to go abroad, who is likely to be dropped from the panel? Just saying I think it will be very difficult for new players to get in. Maybe I'm missing a trick or 2 but think the better young players already there.
Naughton in Knockmore would deserve and benefit from the FBD before moving onto the U-21.
I think any 18-19 year old needs to get into the system early to start the process of becoming a top class player. I think the days of Colm Boyle are pretty much gone, like rugby if you don't move from the underage contract to a provincial contract its very hard to make it, everyone is improving but the lads with the better team are improving at a quicker rate.
the point about Boyle is he was spotted at 19/20 but just was not good enough at that stage . its great rather than disappear he worked hard with davitts(and conroy to a lesser extent) and made a reappearance when he was ready.
I had the way some lads are just written off if as kids they dont look up to senior football ,different players mature at different times and if it takes a player to reach 27/8 to get to the standard so be it

Boyle was a Mayo minor captain iirc. The lad was back-boning teams all the way up.  He was a savage minor and college's player. Nobody spotted him at 19/20. He was already a player you would hope comes around at that stage. Maybe because he was played as a corner back that did him when first played senior. That was mad imo. Thank God he recovered from it. I don t think even now anybody would contemplate putting Boyle as a man marking corner back. Not sure playing club was the trick though. He should never have been dropped off the panel. Always had the quality.

rosnarun

Quote from: moysider on November 15, 2016, 11:12:33 PM

Ok, unless there is a retirement or a few, and maybe likes of McLoughlin opting out to go abroad, who is likely to be dropped from the panel? Just saying I think it will be very difficult for new players to get in. Maybe I'm missing a trick or 2 but think the better young players already there.
Naughton in Knockmore would deserve and benefit from the FBD before moving onto the U-21.
I think any 18-19 year old needs to get into the system early to start the process of becoming a top class player. I think the days of Colm Boyle are pretty much gone, like rugby if you don't move from the underage contract to a provincial contract its very hard to make it, everyone is improving but the lads with the better team are improving at a quicker rate.
the point about Boyle is he was spotted at 19/20 but just was not good enough at that stage . its great rather than disappear he worked hard with davitts(and conroy to a lesser extent) and made a reappearance when he was ready.
I had the way some lads are just written off if as kids they dont look up to senior football ,different players mature at different times and if it takes a player to reach 27/8 to get to the standard so be it

Boyle was a Mayo minor captain iirc. The lad was back-boning teams all the way up.  He was a savage minor and college's player. Nobody spotted him at 19/20. He was already a player you would hope comes around at that stage. Maybe because he was played as a corner back that did him when first played senior. That was mad imo. Thank God he recovered from it. I don t think even now anybody would contemplate putting Boyle as a man marking corner back. Not sure playing club was the trick though. He should never have been dropped off the panel. Always had the quality.
but my point is if he stayed another while with the seniors as a young fella he would never be seen again.
people are far roo quick too call for kids to be called up to the senior panel when it does not suit a lot of the .
another example is Jason Gobbions who is improving with every year but looked completely out of place in his early years.
remember a few years back they were talking about a B panel wonder is that still going . it definitely could have its uses  for Junior and intermediate players who no longer play underage and their clubs may not have the level of Training need to be ready for them to make a breakthrough.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ballinaman

Quote from: rosnarun on November 16, 2016, 09:31:21 AM
Quote from: moysider on November 15, 2016, 11:12:33 PM

but my point is if he stayed another while with the seniors as a young fella he would never be seen again.
people are far roo quick too call for kids to be called up to the senior panel when it does not suit a lot of the .
another example is Jason Gobbions who is improving with every year but looked completely out of place in his early years.
remember a few years back they were talking about a B panel wonder is that still going . it definitely could have its uses  for Junior and intermediate players who no longer play underage and their clubs may not have the level of Training need to be ready for them to make a breakthrough.
Just the 100 grand needed for a B panel...not a hope.

Syferus

We'll have a development panel next year and we'll be running it on alot less than 100 grand..

sligoman2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 15, 2016, 05:36:19 PM
The top college sides DCU,UUJ etc are full of county players you probably would have to look to their intermediate sides to find non county footballer playing for them. Sligo IT when they were winning sigerson cups were the same NUIG had some star studded teams down through the years aswell I don't recall GMIT ever having top side but I suppose the Galway Mayo IT is the least glamorous college to attend.

Next January GMIT,NUIG,Sligo IT will fare off against Mayo,Galway,Sligo and Roscommon sides with about 3 or 4 championship starters in their line ups and no more than a few hundred will go to watch these games, now that is hardly something to even whet the appetite for the poor club player is it?

Are you implying that the reason counties only have 3 or 4 championship starters is because the other 12 are playing with colleges?  I would say only 3 or 4 of the Sligo team (if that) are   

sligoman2

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 05:05:48 PM

Read my post again Muppet - I said many (not all).  And by the way most sigerson on games are much more enjoyable than the current county defense rubbish

muppet

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 16, 2016, 11:38:14 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2016, 05:05:48 PM

Read my post again Muppet - I said many (not all).  And by the way most sigerson on games are much more enjoyable than the current county defense rubbish
[/quote]

If the argument is about the 'right' of players to play against county teams then you wouldn't pull the students from the county panels thus denying other club players their 'right'.
MWWSI 2017

sligoman2

It's a zero sum game as they say.  If the county players stay with the county then fewer club players in that county get a chance and more college club players get a chance.  The oppposite also applies...

My point is that without the college participation, fewer club players get a chance to either play with their county or against a county.

magpie seanie

The FBD is worthless and should be discontinued. The McKenna Cup is the only one that seems to be worth anything but we should be looking to shorten the intercounty season and getting rid of this would be a start.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 18, 2016, 03:25:36 PM
The FBD is worthless and should be discontinued. The McKenna Cup is the only one that seems to be worth anything but we should be looking to shorten the intercounty season and getting rid of this would be a start.

Agree. I don't buy the argument that it is a 'right' for club players to have a go playing against weakened county teams in a meaningless tournament.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus