FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on November 10, 2016, 10:35:44 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 10, 2016, 10:27:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2016, 10:21:22 PM
Mayo are a special case. They've rolled with mostly the same core now for five or six years with maybe one meaningful addition every two years or so. For other counties the FBD is used to actually decide on players to carry for the league and beyond.

FBD should be a proper league with no colleges though. Every county plays each other and the one with the most points wins the title without a final.

You have it there in one!

Agree.

Basically revert back to a older and better format for the FBD.

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on November 10, 2016, 10:35:44 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 10, 2016, 10:27:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2016, 10:21:22 PM
Mayo are a special case. They've rolled with mostly the same core now for five or six years with maybe one meaningful addition every two years or so. For other counties the FBD is used to actually decide on players to carry for the league and beyond.

FBD should be a proper league with no colleges though. Every county plays each other and the one with the most points wins the title without a final.

You have it there in one!

Agree.

Totally agree.
This crap of using the Provincial warm up things as a pre Sigerson benefit for the College boys us a sick joke at this stage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Agree with that. The sigerson should be run off pre Christmas anyway

rosnarun

Quote from: REDCOL on November 10, 2016, 03:14:30 PM
Crowe & Nally only joined the panel in January.  If Brendan Harrison got this treatment he wouldnt have got an allstar this year. They might not make it, but after 9 months on a panel it is premature to make that judgement call. Should Brian Reape, Michael Hall, Ger McDonagh also be dropped after one year on panel.
Crowe & Nally have been there before im not saying drop them forever but if they have little chance of making the team it would be better to start blooding younger guys ,
i would nto class Mcdonagh with the other 2 Hall played every league game last year i think starting the majority and did not look out of place where as reape was injured for a lot of the time so could not get a fair run.
Germcdinagh saw almost no game time and was dropped pre summer in the big cull but was invited back . He is of an age where if by summer he has not been Given time  by rochford he would need to think again.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

westbound

officially, What is the reason for colleges being in this comp?

rodney trotter

To prepare them for the Sigerson. Although they have the League for that - Ryan Cup.

They can play group stages with the Colleges involved, is probably another reason. Only 5 Counties in Connacht, so the Colleges even it out.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 11, 2016, 03:27:54 PM
To prepare them for the Sigerson. Although they have the League for that - Ryan Cup.

They can play group stages with the Colleges involved, is probably another reason. Only 5 Counties in Connacht, so the Colleges even it out.

Each county gets more games against real teams by removing colleges. The only way for a county to play four games now is by making the final, playing at least one or two colleges along the way. In no way does the current format benefit anyone, even bean counters like John Prenty who should be attracted by more money-spinning games between counties.

rodney trotter

I'm not saying it benefits them, just saying its probably one of the reasons they have Colleges in the Competition.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 11, 2016, 03:37:16 PM
I'm not saying it benefits them, just saying its probably one of the reasons they have Colleges in the Competition.
I think the main problem, for county managers anyway, is that Colleges get the first call on players so these managers can't always field the side they want to see in action.
Before the Colleges came along, the intercounty games were fairly serious affairs with managers experimenting for the League.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on November 09, 2016, 10:56:33 PM

Ok, unless there is a retirement or a few, and maybe likes of McLoughlin opting out to go abroad, who is likely to be dropped from the panel? Just saying I think it will be very difficult for new players to get in. Maybe I'm missing a trick or 2 but think the better young players already there.
Naughton in Knockmore would deserve and benefit from the FBD before moving onto the U-21.
I think any 18-19 year old needs to get into the system early to start the process of becoming a top class player. I think the days of Colm Boyle are pretty much gone, like rugby if you don't move from the underage contract to a provincial contract its very hard to make it, everyone is improving but the lads with the better team are improving at a quicker rate.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 14, 2016, 12:01:43 PM

Ok, unless there is a retirement or a few, and maybe likes of McLoughlin opting out to go abroad, who is likely to be dropped from the panel? Just saying I think it will be very difficult for new players to get in. Maybe I'm missing a trick or 2 but think the better young players already there.
Naughton in Knockmore would deserve and benefit from the FBD before moving onto the U-21.
I think any 18-19 year old needs to get into the system early to start the process of becoming a top class player. I think the days of Colm Boyle are pretty much gone, like rugby if you don't move from the underage contract to a provincial contract its very hard to make it, everyone is improving but the lads with the better team are improving at a quicker rate.

I agree.

It worked with COC, DOC and Coen, and arguably Durcan. I think Hall will also prove this strategy fruitful. I would like to have seen Liam Irwin brought in before now.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Well if Irwin gets the call up Andy will still be faster than one Mayo forward at least..

moysider

muppet

MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 14, 2016, 12:01:43 PM

the point about Boyle is he was spotted at 19/20 but just was not good enough at that stage . its great rather than disappear he worked hard with davitts(and conroy to a lesser extent) and made a reappearance when he was ready.
I had the way some lads are just written off if as kids they dont look up to senior football ,different players mature at different times and if it takes a player to reach 27/8 to get to the standard so be it 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere