FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Groundhog day. From a Mayo point of view it will be interesting to see if any new faces get a run. Or maybe not. Hard to see anybody make a breakthrough. I thought Keith Ruttledge did as well as you could expect last year in FBD and then nada. I don t think it mattered how well he did because they probably had already decided he did not have the size. I'm pretty cynical about the FBD at this stage to be honest. Not sure it serves any purpose.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on November 08, 2016, 10:15:09 PM

Groundhog day. From a Mayo point of view it will be interesting to see if any new faces get a run. Or maybe not. Hard to see anybody make a breakthrough. I thought Keith Ruttledge did as well as you could expect last year in FBD and then nada. I don t think it mattered how well he did because they probably had already decided he did not have the size. I'm pretty cynical about the FBD at this stage to be honest. Not sure it serves any purpose.

Danny Kirby's 4 goals and then dropped must take the biscuit.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2016, 10:42:41 PM

Considering he can't make the Mitchels team, I'm not sure I'd agree
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on November 08, 2016, 11:35:08 PM

Considering he can't make the Mitchels team, I'm not sure I'd agree

Jaysus, Ronan O'Gara played for Ireland the following month. Is he sh*ite now because he wouldn't make the Cork Con team at the weekend?

Anyway, more seriously, Kirby has been away from football all summer and just came back. He was on the bench for the County Final and started the last day. I am not arguing he should be on the Mayo team (at least not at the moment) but when he scored 4 goals at FF in 2012, surely he was worth at least look?
MWWSI 2017

mayo.mick

Wasn't Kirby away out foreign and only recently returned?
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

rosnarun

there are loads of player that deserve a try or even a try again for mayo out there
Kirby being one i think eoghan reilly is a much better player now than he was when he played for mayo
Enda Varley(dives for cover) looked very sharp for vincents at the week end
Lewis cawley and fionn mcdonagh  from westport  has looked the part and Liam Irwin could be ready to step up
other possiblies Michael Forde, Adam Gallagher ,Shairoze Akram, Fionan Duffy snd other pick you own favorites

To limit the panel to whats there now is a longterm recipe for trouble  fresh blood is always needed
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

criostlinn

Did Kirby not pick up an injury that year

maigheo

Quote from: criostlinn on November 09, 2016, 03:16:40 PM

DidKirby not pick up an injury that year
[/quo te]Dont be letting the facts get in the way of a good story :)

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on November 09, 2016, 03:16:40 PM

Did Kirby not pick up an injury that year

He was available for the league that Spring.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Ok, unless there is a retirement or a few, and maybe likes of McLoughlin opting out to go abroad, who is likely to be dropped from the panel? Just saying I think it will be very difficult for new players to get in. Maybe I'm missing a trick or 2 but think the better young players already there.

rosnarun

if a guy is on the panel for 2 or 3 years and is not getting any where hes probably better off dropping off. not necessarily for ever , best example being Boyle who cam back after 3/4 years when he was really rerady to play.
im thinking the like of shane McHale, Caolan Crowe, david drake, shane nally, alan freeman and to retirement possibly alan dillion

is there anypoint in kevin Keane being on the panel when the management see to prefer playing no full back to him
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

REDCOL

Crowe & Nally only joined the panel in January.  If Brendan Harrison got this treatment he wouldnt have got an allstar this year. They might not make it, but after 9 months on a panel it is premature to make that judgement call. Should Brian Reape, Michael Hall, Ger McDonagh also be dropped after one year on panel.

Syferus

Mayo are a special case. They've rolled with mostly the same core now for five or six years with maybe one meaningful addition every two years or so. For other counties the FBD is used to actually decide on players to carry for the league and beyond.

FBD should be a proper league with no colleges though. Every county plays each other and the one with the most points wins the title without a final.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2016, 10:21:22 PM
Mayo are a special case. They've rolled with mostly the same core now for five or six years with maybe one meaningful addition every two years or so. For other counties the FBD is used to actually decide on players to carry for the league and beyond.

FBD should be a proper league with no colleges though. Every county plays each other and the one with the most points wins the title without a final.

You have it there in one!

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 10, 2016, 10:27:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2016, 10:21:22 PM

You have it there in one!

Agree.