Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

This blind sycophancy would give ye the skitter.  For the umpteenth time, labelling any and all criticism of McIlroy as sectarian is childish nonsense.  It's worse than Arlene and the misogyny play here at times.  FWIW, if you'd wiped away the tears you may have noticed that the first point I made on this thread was positive wrt him.  But the cheerleaders have managed to ignore that and get their Pom Poms all in a twist... again.

NetNitrate

McIlroy has always been clear that he sees himself as Northern Irish first - just have to look at his tweets over the years with hashtags like #gawa #norniron. He was always uncomfortable choosing between Ireland and GB for the Olympics, wavering between the two, stating he'd have preferred a Northern Ireland only option. He picked Ireland after initially saying he'd choose GB because he felt more British. But he chose Ireland ultimately because Golfing Union of Ireland is an all-island sport. If there's something he's not ultimately being upfront about is that Irish officials apparently took a hardline position and would not allow him wear Nike due to the team's contract with Nike competitor New Balance. Thus, his cryptic tweet "Karma" when Pat Hickey was arrested. But he's always been very clear about his identity; his trouble stems from some of the rest of us demanding absolutist positions on national identity.

stew

I like Rory and hope he adds to his majors tally, these are his formatI've years and I hope he can double his haul,of four at least.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Milltown Row2

North Down golfer contradicts himself isnt news either
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ethan Tremblay

I think the point McIlroy was trying to make was that the Olympics is putting him in the position where he had to firmly say I'm Irish or I'm British.  Before he was happy to drape a Tricolour or Ulster flag around him when needed, but in this instance he would be perceived as confirming his allegiance to one or the other, even though he couldn't give two fcuks. 
I'm no golf expert but what other senior competitions do they represent their countries?    Although he handled it woefully what else was he to do? 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Ethan Tremblay

Aye it would have been the simplest thing to do! I would say there were other factors at work in his decision, such as his Nike contract and not being able to represent them!

He has never had to declare his allegiance between Ireland and the UK before and declaring for an Olympic team would have put him in an awkward position with some fans! Surely you can grasp that?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

armaghniac

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on January 10, 2017, 11:19:57 AM
Aye it would have been the simplest thing to do! I would say there were other factors at work in his decision, such as his Nike contract and not being able to represent them!

He has never had to declare his allegiance between Ireland and the UK before and declaring for an Olympic team would have put him in an awkward position with some fans! Surely you can grasp that?

He had represented Ireland before, as that is how Golf is organised. There wasn't a  major issue here, except what he made out of it himself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ha ha derry

Quote from: AQMP on January 10, 2017, 10:40:09 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on January 10, 2017, 10:30:41 AM
I think the point McIlroy was trying to make was that the Olympics is putting him in the position where he had to firmly say I'm Irish or I'm British.  Before he was happy to drape a Tricolour or Ulster flag around him when needed, but in this instance he would be perceived as confirming his allegiance to one or the other, even though he couldn't give two fcuks. 
I'm no golf expert but what other senior competitions do they represent their countries?    Although he handled it woefully what else was he to do?

Maybe he could have said what's he's saying now, at the beginning, "Listen I'm not comfortable representing either team, so won't be going..." (stretching it out to a few paragraphs of course!)  Also I can't see how the Olympics put him in this position.  To participate at the Olympics you must be part of a "national" team, it's not really for individuals.

BTW McIlroy is spot on with his comments on golf in the Olympics and the "growing golf" BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1yIob65tYI Rors might beg to differ. Watch to to olympics part.

JoG2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 10, 2017, 11:32:48 AM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on January 10, 2017, 11:19:57 AM

He had represented Ireland before, as that is how Golf is organised. There wasn't a  major issue here, except what he made out of it himself.

Balls!  Us'uns and them'ems went into fecking meltdown for weeks like they nothing else to be at!

Orior

I am Rory's number one fan. But the way he has turned his back on Ireland is disappointing and I ask myself why. Is he a product of his environment as follows:

1) His secondary school (apparently mixed, but not much evidence of such)
2) His golf club (does the queen of england still hang in the entrance?)
3) His peers (rugger buggers and soccer lovin posh gits)

Clearly he never spent any time in Lurgan or following the exploits of his uncle on his Mum's side.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2017, 08:01:42 PM
I am Rory's number one fan. But the way he has turned his back on Ireland is disappointing and I ask myself why. Is he a product of his environment as follows:

Clearly he never spent any time in Lurgan or following the exploits of his uncle on his Mum's side.

Never spent anytime watching my uncle play, anyone who works in BT or Post office or most civil servant jobs will have the queen about their heads and loads of gaa members at Kingspan watching rugby!! I'll give ya the soccer Yahoo!'s though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

or following the exploits of his uncle on his Mum's side.
Mickey Mcdonald stopped playing for Armagh about 1987. Rory was born in 1989.

Take Your Points

Correct, like everyone in the 6 counties Rory is a product of his local environment and its prevailing culture.

While Sullivan Upper has a small percentage of Catholic pupils and it is a non-denominational school, the prevailing culture is  British  His peers would be typical North Down inhabitants following Ulster and the GAWA.

Take Your Points

Quote from: dec on January 10, 2017, 08:10:45 PM
or following the exploits of his uncle on his Mum's side.
Mickey Mcdonald stopped playing for Armagh about 1987. Rory was born in 1989.

Mickey probably played more for Glenavon than he did for Armagh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 10, 2017, 08:12:16 PM

Correct, like everyone in the 6 counties Rory is a product of his local environment and its prevailing culture.

While Sullivan Upper has a small percentage of Catholic pupils and it is a non-denominational school, the prevailing culture is  British  His peers would be typical North Down inhabitants following Ulster and the GAWA.

So he shoulda went to a single faith school like St Pats Knock?