Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quotehe is still the best LB in england though I hate to say it.

Not a chance Clichy or Evra any day...
#newbridgeornowhere

stiff breeze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 12:44:04 PM
Quotehe is still the best LB in england though I hate to say it.

Not a chance Clichy or Evra any day...

sorry mate put that the wrong way , he is the best english LB in the country. Clichy is on a par with nhim though evra the hateful tr**p is the best in the prem IMO. watch out for Insua from LFC, lad is a talent

Norf Tyrone

What about players that have improved after leaving Arsenal...Bentley and Sidwell  :D
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Not concerned at all at Flamini leaving. In terms of workrate, it was fantastic this year but that is replaceable. He was probably the least talented of our midfielders. He's had one good season - last year he on the verge of being farmed out to Birmingham and I think he naver forgave AW for that. I'm more concerned at Hleb possibily leaving.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Uladh

Quote from: ONeill on May 06, 2008, 02:30:45 PM
Not concerned at all at Flamini leaving. In terms of workrate, it was fantastic this year but that is replaceable. He was probably the least talented of our midfielders.

Unless, of course, you consider the ability to tackle, win possession and shield your defence a talent...

ildanach

Quote from: ONeill on May 06, 2008, 02:30:45 PM
Not concerned at all at Flamini leaving. In terms of workrate, it was fantastic this year but that is replaceable. He was probably the least talented of our midfielders. He's had one good season - last year he on the verge of being farmed out to Birmingham and I think he naver forgave AW for that. I'm more concerned at Hleb possibily leaving.

I can not agree with you totally o neill about flamini. True enough up to this year i would not have rated him very highly and indeed he was not even getting a game because gilberto was playing very well. However this year he went up in my estimation and had developed a great partnership with fabregas. He bossed the midfield in a number of games and with gilberto on the decline it is imperative that we buy a proven tackler in midfield. In a year or so denilson will be ready to slot into this position but we definately need someone for now.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ONeill

Quote from: ildanach on May 06, 2008, 04:39:16 PM

I can not agree with you totally o neill about flamini. True enough up to this year i would not have rated him very highly and indeed he was not even getting a game because gilberto was playing very well. However this year he went up in my estimation and had developed a great partnership with fabregas. He bossed the midfield in a number of games and with gilberto on the decline it is imperative that we buy a proven tackler in midfield. In a year or so denilson will be ready to slot into this position but we definately need someone for now.

Whilst there's no doubt that he had his best year, there are a few players out there who can do what he offered - Milan now have 3 in midfield! Flamini played behind Fabregas/Hleb/Rosicky/Van Perise who were keeping possession like schoolyard bullies although he had a habit of playing well against the big boys. Yes, there's no one at the club who can do that role right now but I fully expect AW to beef up all areas this summer. I'd be quite excited by the Flamini replacement as I feel we'll get a better model. I honestly believe he'll struggle to nail a starting place at Milan.

hitzelsperger

i think he'll struggle too, the 70grand a week is only thing he went for..not sure who will replace him..heard rumours of gareth barry but not sure if hes up to the standard! ???

Rav67

Flamini was fantastic this season, could maybe even have made the team of the year.  To replace him properly with an established defensive midfielder that can also play a bit would cost in excess of £15million (Mascherano and Hargreaves went for at least this amount).  His move has also damaged Arsenal's reputation a lot and has contributed to rumours about the likes of Farbregas and Hleb leaving.  I can't believe Wenger left it so long to offer him a contact.

ONeill

Flamini was correct in his decision. He realised that his stock is highest right now, and probably will not enjoy the same market value again. Arsenal cannot compete with Milan and Madrid if a player decides he really wants to go and play at the biggest clubs, unless AW works his magic. Wenger will always hold on to the players he knows he cannot do without - Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp etc stayed at Arsenal at their peak despite being heavily courted every summer. That was down to Arsene's power of persuasion. I get the feeling he would like to have kept Flamini but is not overly worried.

ExiledGael

What exactly is the wage structure at Arsenal like? Who is top earner? Thought with the new stadium and all Arsenal could pay what's needed for top players these days. Unbelievable that during a hugely successful season, until a month or so ago, Hleb and Flamini could be allowed to drift to the end of their contracts. Bad management or questionable characters involved, I'd say the latter with agents looking for top dollar.
Agree with O'Neill though, can see Flamini becoming a squad player at AC, nothing more.

ildanach

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 07, 2008, 05:41:21 PM
Hleb and Flamini could be allowed to drift to the end of their contracts. Bad management or questionable characters involved, I'd say the latter with agents looking for top dollar.
Hleb is still under contract  for 2 more years. It is a buy out clause that inter are trying to use to get him.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

under the bar

QuoteWhat exactly is the wage structure at Arsenal like? Who is top earner?

Flamini was offered £55k a week to stay right?   Wenger then said he could not offer more due to their wage structure?  Surely you'll need to pay the likes of Fabregas more then £55k a week when his contract comes up?

ExiledGael

Quote from: ildanach on May 08, 2008, 11:59:42 AM
Quote from: ExiledGael on May 07, 2008, 05:41:21 PM
Hleb and Flamini could be allowed to drift to the end of their contracts. Bad management or questionable characters involved, I'd say the latter with agents looking for top dollar.
Hleb is still under contract  for 2 more years. It is a buy out clause that inter are trying to use to get him.

Ah I see. Still that's the type of stipulations you get at smaller clubs if that's the case. Surprising here. Arsene has a bit of a go at whoever was conducting Arsenal's contract dealings in the papers today. Doesn't seem happy, not only with the wage cap, but how the dealings were handled.
"It is a problem, the salaries on offer, but we did not master this situation because when a player is out of contract he can sign where he wants"

hitzelsperger

55 grand is the limit that wenger will apparently go to in paying players but i think he broke it for campbell who came on a free, henry who got 90grand and maybe vieira. i think cesc is probably on more than 55 cos wenger can build a team around him, i personally think its ridiculous that there is a wage limit in a club the size of arsenal because it will limit the number of world class players we can sign (all will be looking 70grand+ per week)

agree that flamini will probably be a bit-part player at the san siro and would have been happier to lose Hleb than him!

the first man out the door after next weekend should and hopefully will be senderos, hes just not up to the standard! also wonder who wenger will by as goalkeeper to replace the mad german...still have to see more of fabianski and almunia is only goin to last another season or two!