Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Have to say hard luck to arsenal. I dont support any of the top 4 but admire all of them for different reasons. Ye were the better team over all 3 games and just got done on huge mistakes by ref which is outside yer control. That was no peno tonight. Ive seen from 5 different angles and it not a peno in my opinion.

The piece on wenger was a skit, to show emotion is HUMAN and we all get frustrated. If I were arsenal fan or player you would feel shafted. People go on about mental resolve, in anfield and played all the football first 30mins that shows resolve then to 2-1 down and comeback again shows resolve. Are people blind can they not see and ADMIRE it. Both teams showed it. It was great to watch as a neutral but call a spade a spade. Was coming back from bolton with 10men not a huge show of mental toughness...........Arsenal were the better team over 2 legs but the best team doesnt always win.

Sometimes in defeat you learn your greatest lessons and wenger will do that and move on and ye'll be stronger for it. ;) Yee do need to buy and get rid of some and games like tonight make ut alot clearer. Fantastic game to watch.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stew

Quote from: ONeill on April 08, 2008, 10:34:31 PM
We're not a big team. But we're better than Spurs. That's enough.

:D

I think the white flag has officially been raised. If you are content to be better than the spuds and that is enough for all you goner fans then fair fecks to you, mission accomplished. ;D

Arsenal were sublime for thirty minutes tonight and then started to play it safe a bit, Liverpool were always going to have a few chances but they didnt deserve to win it in the manner they did.

Liverpool are very tough in the CL and they have every chance to progress to the final again but they are brutal defensively and that will ultimately cost them.

Arsne is a yappy bastard, does he ever quit moaning at all at all?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

hitzelsperger

wenger has every right to be frustrated, never in a million yrs a penalty and comparing it to the hleb one in last game everyone who has half a clue about football can see that it wasnt.

great game of football and very very disappointed that we didnt win but glad to see theo has finally started to show what he can do...must be one of the quickest players in europe?

hopefully wenger can see now that senderos is terrible and has to go, hleb can be magic but gives the ball away easily and is just not consistent enough so probably has to go aswell!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stew on April 09, 2008, 12:41:04 AM
Quote from: ONeill on April 08, 2008, 10:34:31 PM
We're not a big team. But we're better than Spurs. That's enough.
Liverpool are very tough in the CL and they have every chance to progress to the final again but they are brutal defensively and that will ultimately cost them.

Liverpool have scored more goals than Arsenal this season in all competitions. Not bad for such an alleged "defensive" side compared to an attacking one.

The two teams play in different styles but it would be incorrect to label Liverpool defensive.

Oops my bad. You said brutal defensively rather than brutall defensive. ;D

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2008, 10:35:08 PM
I think the panel were unfair on Liam Brady tonight. They know the position he is in, and if they want him to continue as a member of their panel, they have a funny way of showing it. He was obviously hurting from an extremely brave performance coming up short, and to have to sit through Dunphy giggling like a schoolkid about Arsene being like John Cleese was, as he said, a stitch up. There was a serious point, which Brady tried to make, about Wenger getting frustrated at how things are transpiring towards the season's end, and Souness was being serious enough too. But Dunphy and the editors obviously went and said 'If Arsenal lose, we'll use this piece to show him losing it'. That's a stitch up, and Brady was right.
I'd agree with most of that. But it's not so much that it was unfair on Brady it was pure and utter Podge and Rodge disrespect with giggling at a manager going through all the intense emotions on the sidelines and pontificate that he's losing it.
Dunphy is an embarrassment to the entire RTE sports dept.
If I want to be entertained by sarcastic abuse I can watch Podge and Rodge.

Norf Tyrone

Lasy year when Chelsea drew 1-1 at the Erimrates to signal the end of Chelsea's championship chances, the Arsenal fans sang 'LIVERPOOL' to acclaim the Scousers CL victory over Chelsea. It's funny how these things can swing round.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stevo-08

Quote from: stew on April 09, 2008, 12:41:04 AM

The most clean sheets in PL (15) & 25 goals conceded, with only man utd & chelsea conceding fewer. They've let in a few soft goals recently but hardly grounds to call them brutal defensively!!!

Regarding brady, dunphy & souness. Agree with most posters that brady was right to feel wenger was shafted. Dunphy is a wind up merchant, plain & simple. And a complete hypocrite also - Ridiculing wenger when only a few months ago he was praising him from the rooftops.

AZOffaly

Dunphy always has the grain of a point, but as I've said before he is not big on consistent viewpoints, to say the least. I'd say the rooms in his house get a new colour of paint every week.

Anyway, his stance on Wenger now is based on his call in January that Wenger needed to strengthen the depth of his squad. It was a good shout, but I would have thought a fairly obvious one, even if Wenger is not a manager who splashes cash at the drop of a hat. If Eduardo and Rosicky hadn't been injured, this would probably not be an issue, but injuries are part and parcel of life at the top level. But now that Dunphy has been proved right, he is going on, and on, and on, and on about it, and the remarks last night were just silly stuff. I felt it was unfair on Brady because Brady, don't forget, works for Wenger at Arsenal. If he is associated with comments or skits like that, it puts him in a very compromising position with Wenger. I felt he was spot on to blow the lid to be honest.

Billys Boots

QuoteIf Eduardo and Rosicky hadn't been injured

And Sagna too.  Just goes to show the Arsenal squad is too small to win without being lucky (which they're not).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 09, 2008, 04:35:04 AM
Lasy year when Chelsea drew 1-1 at the Erimrates to signal the end of Chelsea's championship chances, the Arsenal fans sang 'LIVERPOOL' to acclaim the Scousers CL victory over Chelsea. It's funny how these things can swing round.

So, in the hours that follow Chelsea's victory in the quarter finals of the CL you prefer to write in the Arsenal thread about some nondescript fan bantering at half four in the morning rather than contribute to the Chelsea thread whatsoever.

And who says Chelsea fans are plastic?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

How can we and everybody else see how poor Senseros is? I know Wenger has ahem poor eyesight but even Ray Charles can see how brutal Senderos is.......

Ah well, this season could well be the making of this Arsenal side, played some fantastic football and been so young can only learn from the these defeats...

Life could be worse, you could be a spud....
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Cygan, Senderos, Luzhny, Stephanovs ....what was the name of the other eejit....began with L I think.

Wenger has bought some bloody brillant defenders in his time....

One moment of madness from Toure cost us.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stevo-08

or as souness said last night at HT: "30 minutes of brilliance wiped out by one moment of dopiness". Liverpool dont score from corners, it just doesnt happen - but that was an absolute gift.

couldnt believe wenger kept senderos on. as someone else said, toure should have been moved into cb and eboue at rb with walcott on. obviously the flamini injury restricted his options but senderos was a complete liability for the entire game.

AZOffaly

it was encapsulated in one moment for me. When Torres received the ball in the penalty area, Senderos was touch tight. When Torres executed a fairly standard turn, Senderos was probably 2 yards away. That's brutal defending from a centre half.

screenexile

Have to say I was gutted last night for Arsenal and being a Blackburn fan I had no particular allegiance to either side. Ultimately it was the strength in depth that has cost Arsenal this season. Eduardo, VP, Sagna, Toure, Eboue ( who has been shite this past few weeks and I think is a FB or nothing), Rosicky. When you're missing that calibre of player for a large chunk of the season it is going to cost you. They have played some amazing football this year and to be honest I think that they have probably over achieved given the injuries they have had because let's face it, United would not be in the position they are in had Ronaldo played the same amount of games as VP this year.

Anyway I think Wenger's main problem to sort out for next year is his defence. Toure and Gallas are the only decent Centre Halves they have and if one is injured or needs a rest Senderos is just not up to the standard as he will make mistakes at the wrong time. Because of this both have looked tired coming to the end of the season and they need a real backup to keep fresh for the season. If he can keep the rest of the squad together then I fancy Arsenal for a Double Next year! Blackburn for the Cup though ;)