Prime Time Suspended

Started by Doogie Browser, November 23, 2011, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-suspends-next-season-of-prime-time-investigates-after-fr-reynolds-scandal-285987-Nov2011/

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here, shocked if it hasn't.  What a complete journalistic fcuk up, if it wasn't a Priest in the dock I would daresay there would be a lot more people apoplectic.

Minder

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 23, 2011, 10:05:03 AM
http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-suspends-next-season-of-prime-time-investigates-after-fr-reynolds-scandal-285987-Nov2011/

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here, shocked if it hasn't.  What a complete journalistic fcuk up, if it wasn't a Priest in the dock I would daresay there would be a lot more people apoplectic.

Was there a thread about this at the time ? A fckn disgrace.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on November 23, 2011, 10:11:35 AM

Was there a thread about this at the time ? A fckn disgrace.
I did a search and couldn't find one, shoddy journalism is an understatement.  Fr Reynolds was warned several times not to take on RTE in the courts due to their power!   

This explains it a little better http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1117/reynoldsk.html

Aoife Kavanagh behaved with extreme arrogance also, regusing his offer of a Paternity test before the programme was run.

armaghniac

QuoteAoife Kavanagh behaved with extreme arrogance also, regusing his offer of a Paternity test before the programme was run.

This is the nub of the issue. If someone is accused and offers a paternity test then you either withdraw the allegation or call their bluff and have the test done. You do not just carry on regardless.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's not Prime Time, rather Prime Time Investigates (or in this particular case, Frames) that has been suspended.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

Very unprofessional. Not sure how you could compensate anyone for putting them through that.

muppet

A complete screw up from start to finish.

However I disagree with the bit in bold. If it wasn't a Priest we would know very little about it. I watched Prime Time do a job on a few lads from my home town a few years ago and was dismayed at the angle Prime Time took. It relied entirely on the word of one individual and painted the picture from his side with little very little balance.
MWWSI 2017

Muck Savage

Who'll pay the bill? The tax payer, with RTE being State run

Will anyone get the chop? No, because of all the public service protection

If anything happened like this in a privite owned company heads would roll. But instead every house in Ireland needs to have a TV lisense to pay to support these clowns.

mylestheslasher

Feel sorry for the priest. A terrible accusation to be made against someone in the wrong and an element of the mud will no doubt stick. Very very shoddy by rte and heads should roll because of it.

Tony Baloney

Early Xmas holidays on full pay for everyone involved at RTE.

sheamy

A month ago a presidential candidate on prime time was accused of murder by the presenter without a scrap of evidence and asked if he went to confession. Not a word about it.

RTE as controlled by ex workers party/official ira heads will stoop to any length to discredit either the catholic church or the republican movement. I'm not sure why people are surprised.

deiseach

I think the bell is tolling for Aoife Kavanagh et al. Once you've been suspended (not that that's the phrase being used in Montrose Newspeak) the only way you can be restored is if you're vindicated by the investigation(s), and that just ain't gonna happen. Initially it looked iike RTE were going to adopt the old Private Eye dictum of 'apologise and don't give a damn' but at some point over the last 48 hours they realised that this had the potential for News of the World-style contagion. Ironically it looks this was the behaviour of a 'rogue reporter', or at most a handful of people. I find it hard to believe that there aren't processes already in place in RTE to prevent this kind of thing, but if self-righteous people decide to ignore those processes then what can you do?

Maguire01

Quote from: sheamy on November 23, 2011, 07:15:10 PM
A month ago a presidential candidate on prime time was accused of murder by the presenter without a scrap of evidence and asked if he went to confession. Not a word about it.
Not a word about it? Where were you hiding?

And it's not too late if that candidate wanted to take a similar case against RTÉ. It would surely be an easy case for them to win if comments / accusations had no basis.