The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegreeenandgold

Portlaoise a very diverse town,  I just don't think it's as straightforward as going into Schools.  Knockbeg is a very different demographic.

Spiritof86

I understand that .However I would argue Carlow town has an equally diverse community with a slightly larger population and since Knockbeg lost its boarding status the demographics have changed considerably.
Ultimately it's about getting the right people into these schools who are qualified and have the necessary resources and organisational skills .

Zooming around

Over the years Portlaoise CSB has had plenty of teachers with expertise, profile etc but sadly most of them were only interested in their own careers with club and county and beyond and they didn't give a f**k about getting involved in the school.

clonadmad

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 05, 2023, 12:45:12 PM
Portlaoise a very diverse town,  I just don't think it's as straightforward as going into Schools.  Knockbeg is a very different demographic.

Everywhere is diverse nowadays and we should be appealing to the diverse nowadays too which we aren't doing either in this county

Its not a question of sending in county players to promote the game once or twice a year

most if nearly all the lads in there wouldn't recognize them and its a handy way of saying we are doing something when we are doing nothing in reality

All the CBS have to do if they are bothered (and I really think they arent arsed) is to look across the campus at the girls school and see and then copy the hard daily work that the likes of Pat Critchley and John Scully amongst many others are doing

I know of one Clare Hurler who wanted to work in Portlaoise as a secondary teacher and in the months after winning the 2013 All Ireland was interviewed by the CBS

He didn't get job and it later transpired that the people interviewing didn't know that he was involved in the GAA

Hes been very successful since in both codes in another school outside of Laois

Laois man

Should the county board not have a opened meeting with all clubs and have a serious discussion on where we are going and what's the plans for the future of hurling and football within the county. No point appointing new managers if the proper structures ain't in place. Most clubs now have a five or 10 years plan for improving facilities as well as a good juvenile structure being put in place. We are all laois people and would love to see our teams doing well and no better supporters when things are done right with a view of improving our teams.

redsetanta

This day 20 years ago most of us would have been nursing hangovers after our Leinster final win the day before.

Lads were celebrating for the best part of a week.

Think we'll be waiting 20 years for the next one if we're lucky.

What a few days it was though.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The Saint

It was the best of times... I remember leaving the local at 8am Monday morning... actually, I don't remember 😂

Spiritof86

Great memories and great times . A lot of it a blur . I Recall from the Top Square right down to Charlie Keegans and Humes been one big street party on the Monday . Unforgettable

Zooming around

Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 21, 2023, 03:51:20 PM
Great memories and great times . A lot of it a blur . I Recall from the Top Square right down to Charlie Keegans and Humes been one big street party on the Monday . Unforgettable

There was one lad in a blue and white car spent the whole day doing laps of the town blowing the horn.

Joeythelips

Quote from: The Saint on July 21, 2023, 03:02:21 PM
It was the best of times... I remember leaving the local at 8am Monday morning... actually, I don't remember 😂

Not just the Leinster final, the entire summer. Thanks to Micko and the players for such good times. Offaly nearly burst the bubble early on but the Dublin game and the row in the tunnel really got the show on the road. 😂 I was in the upper Hogan for the Leinster final, running down that ramp from upper to lower hogan seemed to last forever lol just to get on the pitch and celebrate.

As you say we were right to celebrate it, might not see the likes again. Im not sure the provincial championships will last much longer.

Blow-in

Does Donie Brennan now become an option for the Laois County Board to consider as the next Senior Football boss following his ladies step down? Remarkable job done with the ladies

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: Batman!!! on July 25, 2023, 10:46:19 PM
Does Donie Brennan now become an option for the Laois County Board to consider as the next Senior Football boss following his ladies step down? Remarkable job done with the ladies

Are you delusional

clonadmad

Quote from: Batman!!! on July 25, 2023, 10:46:19 PM

Shur throw your name in the Hat,Donie

What's the worst that can happen ?

The PRO

Surely having managed men's football at some level is a prerequisite of the job?
Although, had Billy any prior experience?