Dual Players - Football or Hurling?

Started by youbetterbelieveit, December 04, 2006, 10:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

This topic is going to come up again, this year. In limerick at the moment it has been sparked off again with football manager mickey ned looking to see will the county dual players consider a return to the football. as for last year they all picked the hurling.

Its hard in this day and age to keep one county commitment, but having two is a recipe for disaster. As a club dual player, i have see the stress of trying to keep both codes going.

The few real dual counties are few and far between nowadays.

Tyler Dearden

Dual Players are becoming a rarity both a county and club level. I know of too many examples of players who quit one to conncentrate on the other. These players should be helped, in a perfect world to purse both codes. For example- a inter-county player played for 6 different teams throughout the year. His club's- which ended with Ulster final defeat in Nov, his college, both county teams and a provincial side. He now is binging training for next year after having 2 weeks off!! This needs to be sorted out before players get disillusioned with our games and as is happen retire at relatively young ages!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tyler Dearden on December 06, 2006, 04:02:03 PM
Dual Players are becoming a rarity both a county and club level. I know of too many examples of players who quit one to conncentrate on the other. These players should be helped, in a perfect world to purse both codes. For example- a inter-county player played for 6 different teams throughout the year. His club's- which ended with Ulster final defeat in Nov, his college, both county teams and a provincial side. He now is binging training for next year after having 2 weeks off!! This needs to be sorted out before players get disillusioned with our games and as is happen retire at relatively young ages!!

Hi Tyler, I thought he was possibly going to give the county football a miss next year...
are you going to reply to my email (if you are who I think you are...)

its hard enough giving the commitment in one code let alone trying to do this for club and county in two.
imo the training demands on players these days , plus the clashing fixtures (even though county games are scheduled on alternate weekends - most counties will have a challenge game on their 'weekend off') mean it is physiologically impossible for a dual player to satisfy the demands of both panels, plus it is certain that such an effort will result in the player breaking down...