Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 07, 2007, 11:35:43 PM
What a load of bollocks.

Agreed

What sort of madness is this?

Also agreed.

Complete and utter joke - I'm beginning to wonder is some sort of deal with the GPA the only way to go about having a proper disciplinary structure in Gaelic Games - that's for another thread and another day

Gnevin

Quote from: stephenite on June 07, 2007, 11:49:11 PM
What a load of bollocks.

Agreed

What sort of madness is this?

Also agreed.

Complete and utter joke - I'm beginning to wonder is some sort of deal with the GPA the only way to go about having a proper disciplinary structure in Gaelic Games - that's for another thread and another day
No its simple they need to make the rules clear .
Define what it means when they say did the ref take action. Is giving a free taking action ?
Define what should happen if the action is not considered strong enough. If someone gets kicked in the face on the ground breaking their jaw, ref gives a free ,can we act later ?
Define the use of TV.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

agorm

I agree with Gnevin - it is a bit ridiculous that just because the referree deals with something - perhaps with limited knowledge of what ACTUALLY happened- should not preculde subsequent action by the CCC or whatever grouping. In the case of Geraghty I dont think that he should have been suspended for the next game but the system should allow subsequent banning even if  the ref "dealt" with the situation.
Also, the media interventions should be strongly discouraged though I'm not sure as to how that can be done. They were even on Den 2 earlier in the week talking about Geraghty and how he should be suspended rather talking about the game itself!!

believebelive

In trying to protect the integrity of the referee the GAA has made a complete balls up of the disciplinary process. By saying that anything he deals with then cannot go before the CCC is ludicrous. Referees cannot be expected to catch every incident. Geraghty's punch was not caught by the commentators until they saw it again in slow mo so it is not difficult to see how the ref missed it.
Anyway the whole thing is lobsided anyway. Are you trying to tell me that had a player say from  waterford done what GG did and then his team lost by 20 points there would have been the media clamour to get him up in front of the CCC. I am all for stamping out acts of violence but all games and incidents must be looked at in the same light.

darbyo

But if a ref deals with a situation as he sees fit then why should it be revisited? If you take that opinion to it's logical conclusion then every decision is open to review. The debateable goal/point, the foul the ref missed which led to the move which resulted in the winning score. It would lead to complete chaos if counties had recourse to question every decision a ref made. Gross acts of violence should of course be reviewed ( the punch from behind, a deliberate kick to the head etc.) regardless of the ref's action at the time, but I for one would much prefer to see a brand of football like the one last Sunday where hits were given and taken without complaint. If a few boarderline belts are allowed to go unpuinished in the middle of it all, then so be it. To my mind this is much more acceptable than the game going down the route of players clutching their faces as if a bucket of acid was thrown at them when harly a punch was thrown atall.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: darbyo on June 08, 2007, 11:26:45 AM
But if a ref deals with a situation as he sees fit then why should it be revisited? If you take that opinion to it's logical conclusion then every decision is open to review. The debateable goal/point, the foul the ref missed which led to the move which resulted in the winning score. It would lead to complete chaos if counties had recourse to question every decision a ref made.

This is where the Association has to show some balls and leadership. There's no reason why it should wind up in that farcical situation of revisiting absolutely everything, simply because a GAA appointed committee should be using its discretion to identify the situations that needed re-addressing, and would know a genuine case from a red herring. If limited to matters of indicipline and not extended to scores etc. I don't see the problem, and indeed cannot understand why it han't been modified so that these committees can re-address ANY event on the field of the play that they feel hasn't received adequate sanction, be that a free, a tick, a yellow card, two yellows instead of a straight red, whatever. Other sports do it quite comfortably but the GAA cannot, because the DRA say so. Totally contrary to natural justice, and fosters, if not actually rewards indiscipline instead of cutting it out and providing a real deterrent. Only in the GAA, what a bunch of f**king idiots, makes my blood boil.

Liam Griffin was right when he said it was an Association totally hidebound by bullshit.

Gnevin

Quote from: darbyo on June 08, 2007, 11:26:45 AM
But if a ref deals with a situation as he sees fit then why should it be revisited? If you take that opinion to it's logical conclusion then every decision is open to review. The debateable goal/point, the foul the ref missed which led to the move which resulted in the winning score. It would lead to complete chaos if counties had recourse to question every decision a ref made. Gross acts of violence should of course be reviewed ( the punch from behind, a deliberate kick to the head etc.) regardless of the ref's action at the time, but I for one would much prefer to see a brand of football like the one last Sunday where hits were given and taken without complaint. If a few boarderline belts are allowed to go unpuinished in the middle of it all, then so be it. To my mind this is much more acceptable than the game going down the route of players clutching their faces as if a bucket of acid was thrown at them when harly a punch was thrown atall.
That my point darbyo it's not defined , The way it is now if some one breaks someone's jaw and the ref "speaks" to them its classed as dealt with. Its totally unclear ,surely the ref took some action  even if it was saying calm down,  against the Cork lads 2 weeks ago .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

if the standard of refereeing could be relied upon then it would be ok. But as we've seen can't be. They can't even see incidents within 10-15 yeards of them - what bloody hope is there. There are very few good refs out there - and if paying them meant improving the standard then i'm al for it because 2-3 refs the standard drops dramatically.

agorm

Gnevin, the ref was not on the field at the time. I would reiterate however that what the Cork & Clare boys were up to in my opiion was way worse than Graham's transgressions.

I think also that the Dubs fans should give him the benefit of the doubt and not boo him at any stage next week. ;) ;)

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: agorm on June 08, 2007, 01:21:36 PM
I think also that the Dubs fans should give him the benefit of the doubt and not boo him at any stage next week. ;) ;)

Good idea ..... ;D ;D ;D
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Gnevin

Quote from: agorm on June 08, 2007, 01:21:36 PM
Gnevin, the ref was not on the field at the time. I would reiterate however that what the Cork & Clare boys were up to in my opiion was way worse than Graham's transgressions.

I totally agree i'm not saying he should be banned i was speaking in general terms . The Dubs should beat him on the pitch where it counts

darbyo

QuoteIf limited to matters of indicipline and not extended to scores etc. I don't see the problem

Lads football is very different from other sports, the legality of particular tackles could be argued, without any agreement, for the year. The tackle in soccer or rugby is much more easily defined than football, only in exceptional circumstances (an extremely violent act) should an incident in a game be reviewed. Inter county football/hurling aren't riddled with nasty incidents anyway if we had a citing commissionare in the stands trying to bring retrospective justice, the championships would be played out in the courts. Counties appealing and paper headlines crying 'double standards' when a high profile game is subject to review while down the country in a game with only two cameras all hell breaks loose and the culprits can't be fingered because of lack of evidence.

thejuice

Thats a good point, if people want consistancy well, until theres a certain amount of TV cameras at every game there will never be any consistancy to the use of video citing.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

QuoteAnd on Sunday week, RTE will be showing three live games within 4 hours. Longford and Waterford footballers on live in recent weeks. They might even show Sligo at some stage. But the moaners will always moan. Thats what they do best.

So you think RTE are doin a good job. Fair enough, I'll agree to differ. No need for the snide digs.