Armagh v Donegal (Sun 12th June, Clones, 4pm)

Started by illdecide, June 08, 2022, 09:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 12, 2022, 05:40:34 PM
Pay back big time for the 7 point defeat in defeat in April. Goodbye to Donegal and Bonner as manager. Hello to the All-Ireland quarter finals for Armagh and McGeeney.
Great victory - enjoy.

J70

Well done Armagh. Thoroughly deserved win and margin of victory against a Donegal team clearly in need of a new direction. I thought we played very well for the first 25 minutes, but all of a sudden Armagh got their matchups right on the kick outs, which led to Patton's meltdown, which basically decided the game.

I don't see how Bonner can stay on now, nor why he'd want to. He had a decent first two years, but the last three campaigns have been utter failures, albeit mitigated a bit in the first two by Covid and the championship structure. But he got this year to put it right, and it's been dreadful. Don't mind losing, but the football and tactics is just slow, boring and too risk averse. It was actually enjoyable early in today's game when they were hitting passes into the corners and passing and moving the ball quickly. But there's been far too little of that overall. The fact that so few Donegal people showed up today, and even for the Ulster Final, tells you all you need to know.

Wildweasel74

It's funny fball stimes, 1 team on top for 25mins and looking to run away with it then totally dominated next 50mins.

Wildweasel74

If I was a Donegal man I be looking at Murphy for their nxt manager unless they go outside the county. His legs are gone.m, he may stay on another year but I think a rebuild job is required, the attitude of some of Donegal players needs looked at, the ability of them and they just disappear in Tight games. Murphy if he does go, will go down as Donegal greatest ever player.

Loughshore2022

Quote from: Rudi on June 12, 2022, 05:26:11 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2022, 05:24:14 PM
Be nice to leave the buckfast brigade at home nxt day.

A lot of drunken bandwagon eggits follow Armagh.

I was behind a group of drunken young Derry fans at the Ulster final. I can't be sure but I think they were from Glenullin.
I doubt they were bandwagoners though, they seemed to know their stuff about football.

The worst things I heard from them were calling a Derry minor player the R word (another word for disabled) and one of them talking about his sexual exploits with a girl in graphic detail.

Solo_run

Armagh finally showing up, they still have the ability to kick themselves out of the championship. The booing was rather unsavoury from Armagh fans but other than that they were definitely the extra man that was needed

Wildweasel74

Oh Derry picked up 15k who probably hadn't been at games in yrs, first time I heard Derry ones constant booing at games in a long time, outside of the Ole Dungiven contingent. I just think the booing can be left at home, it's not cheering on your team, it's pathetic to be honest and better left on the great old soccer stands.

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2022, 05:55:43 PM
If I was a Donegal man I be looking at Murphy for their nxt manager unless they go outside the county. His legs are gone.m, he may stay on another year but I think a rebuild job is required, the attitude of some of Donegal players needs looked at, the ability of them and they just disappear in Tight games. Murphy if he does go, will go down as Donegal greatest ever player.

I don't know what it is, but we have a bunch of players who seem to hide when the going gets tough. We'd some excuse in 2019 against Mayo as the team was young, but we're three years further on. It can't be down to Murphy every day out. That lumping it into him on every possession with 20 minutes still left was just shirking responsibility.

I've no idea whether Murphy as player manager would be seriously considered. Might be worth a try, or maybe partner him with Rory Kavanagh or someone. There are no obvious high profile figures within the country waiting to take over.

First though, Bonner has to resign so they can get going on their search.

Wildweasel74

restorepride

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 12, 2022, 06:11:19 PM
Quote from: Rudi on June 12, 2022, 05:26:11 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2022, 05:24:14 PM
Be nice to leave the buckfast brigade at home nxt day.

A lot of drunken bandwagon eggits follow Armagh.

I was behind a group of drunken young Derry fans at the Ulster final. I can't be sure but I think they were from Glenullin.
I doubt they were bandwagoners though, they seemed to know their stuff about football.

The worst things I heard from them were calling a Derry minor player the R word (another word for disabled) and one of them talking about his sexual exploits with a girl in graphic detail.
Saw them - they were actually from Ballyronan, live near the lough. Young but - sure you were young yourself last century.

The Boy Wonder

Great win for Armagh - delighted for their long suffering supporters.
Hopefully it's onwards and upwards for them.
Great banter on this DB back in their halcyon days - any chance of a Tony Fearon comeback

seafoid

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 12, 2022, 06:40:31 PM
Great win for Armagh - delighted for their long suffering supporters.
Hopefully it's onwards and upwards for them.
Great banter on this DB back in their halcyon days - any chance of a Tony Fearon comeback
It was bad enough first time around
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

David McKeown

At the game I only heard two incidents of booing. Both for poor refereeing decisions.

On the game itself I thought Armagh were superb and made Donegal look very poor rather than Donegal being poor.

I don't think any of the provincial winners will want Armagh the next day. Statistically it's likely to be Galway or Kerry but I'd like Derry or Dublin
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Main Street

I have to admit for 15 minutes in the first half I thought Donegal were going to hammer Armagh. Briliant performance from Armagh, I hope they carry this type of game forward.

Wildweasel74

Booing quite alot at the game, def came across on tv