Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2022, 12:59:27 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on June 12, 2022, 12:27:29 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2022, 10:30:04 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2022, 09:53:29 AM
Keegan is a good player but best ever? Come off it, he played well against a mediocre Kildare side. He's tenacious, a great athlete but he shouldn't even be in the conversation for best ever player.

While I'm OTT about this abilities, this is really quite insulting.

He's played well or better against pretty much every team for a decade.

Keegan is right up there. The ultimate criterium for a player is his effectiveness in producing for his team. He has played at the very top for over a decade and never found wanting. His best quality his bravery on getting in to the ball when his team needs him most , and making things happen, in a team with obvious limitations. He mAkes them punch above their weight consistently.I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he is one of the all time greats

I wouldn't dispute much of that, maybe it's just my reluctance to put defenders into the frame as the best ever footballer. He has certainly benefited from the modern style of football where it is much easier for defenders to attack from deep from the half back position. It's probably the easiest position on the pitch to play if you are athletically strong and have a decent grasp of the basic skills.
He can do that but he's also went toe to toe with some of the best forwards about in man marking jobs, look at his battles with Connolly over the years.

Gael80

Quote from: onefineday on June 12, 2022, 08:02:50 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 12, 2022, 06:58:42 PM
I think it's only Provincial finalists that can't play the team that beat them in that final so Galway v Mayo would be ok. The QF weekend with this format is now the biggest football weekend of the year as it was back in the 00's. If the GAA could hand pick the draw to attract the biggest audiences and best games I reckon they'd like:

Galway v Armagh
Derry v Mayo

Dublin v Cork
Kerry v Clare

They would almost fill Croke Park Saturday and Sunday with those fixtures.
No, as someone else said, Kerry v cork and Galway v mayo will be redrawn.
Means that Derry have less chance of drawing Armagh than many seem to think! Kerry have higher chance of getting Armagh, mayo or Clare, Galway likewise have higher chance of getting Armagh, cork or Clare and inversely Derry/Dublin have higher chance of getting cork or mayo.

Ahh I see! More reasons for the GAA to be happy if the draw is the one I mentioned, they'd probably prefer that draw in an ideal world. However like us all they'll have to go with what the luck of the draw throws up 😀

full moon

Quote from: Gael80 on June 12, 2022, 06:58:42 PM
I think it's only Provincial finalists that can't play the team that beat them in that final so Galway v Mayo would be ok. The QF weekend with this format is now the biggest football weekend of the year as it was back in the 00's. If the GAA could hand pick the draw to attract the biggest audiences and best games I reckon they'd like:

Galway v Armagh
Derry v Mayo

Dublin v Cork
Kerry v Clare

They would almost fill Croke Park Saturday and Sunday with those fixtures.

I wouldn't expect Cork or Clare to have much support at all, they didn't this weekend. Even less so if against Dublin/Kerry as they'll be hockeyed.

Blowitupref

Quote from: JoG2 on June 12, 2022, 08:11:55 PM
1st 2 games out played on the Sat and 2nd 2 the Sunday? Or is that all decided after by the CCCCCC brigade?
Yes that's the plan. All Ireland Minor semi finals are on that weekend also so perhaps two triple headers in Croke Park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 12, 2022, 09:01:05 PM
1st 2 games out played on the Sat and 2nd 2 the Sunday? Or is that all decided after by the CCCCCC brigade?
Yes that's the plan. All Ireland Minor semi finals are on that weekend also so perhaps two triple headers in Croke Park.

You'd imagine so. Double-header for Mayo for sure this time?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

David McKeown

I thought it was Dublin and Galway games on the Saturday. The other two on the Sunday.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rossfan

Where did you hear that?
All academic to me now sadly :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gael85

Quote from: gallsman on June 11, 2022, 07:41:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 11, 2022, 07:34:21 PM
Ruane forgot he was going to look really stupid on telly by holding his head there!

Stunning dive. Cillian O'Connor must have been really upset with Diarmuid producing a dive last week to rival any he's every managed so he produced a truly epic one there where he hurt himself whilst wrestling an opponent around the neck with both arms.

Credit to Mayo for sticking around again but they are going to get found out badly. They're nowhere near the level of previous years.

You would think referees would be wise to O'Connor brothers by now.

thewobbler

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2022, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 11, 2022, 07:41:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 11, 2022, 07:34:21 PM
Ruane forgot he was going to look really stupid on telly by holding his head there!

Stunning dive. Cillian O'Connor must have been really upset with Diarmuid producing a dive last week to rival any he's every managed so he produced a truly epic one there where he hurt himself whilst wrestling an opponent around the neck with both arms.

Credit to Mayo for sticking around again but they are going to get found out badly. They're nowhere near the level of previous years.

You would think referees would be wise to O'Connor brothers by now.

Mayo have beaten 2x D1 sides to get here, Durcan and Mullin looked like needed the games, and they  should improve by a handful of points if O'Donaghue and Plunkett's injuries clear up.

I don't see them winning an AI but they're unlikely to be "found out" by much.

clarshack

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2022, 07:23:52 PM
Well if Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone had a lucky draw they may been there too.

All the teams above still miles better than Cork and Clare.

galwayman

Not sure about the minor games being in Croker also. The Gaa for some reason seem to have gotten rid of minor games as curtain raisers to senior games completely.
But maybe they will revisit that for the weekend that's in it in two weeks time.
All 4 of the counties involved in the minor semi finals have their senior counterparts playing that weekend also.

JoG2

Good man, that would be a nice bonus if the minors were a curtain raiser to a senior double header

screenexile

Quote from: galwayman on June 12, 2022, 09:47:48 PM
Not sure about the minor games being in Croker also. The Gaa for some reason seem to have gotten rid of minor games as curtain raisers to senior games completely.
But maybe they will revisit that for the weekend that's in it in two weeks time.
All 4 of the counties involved in the minor semi finals have their senior counterparts playing that weekend also.

Saw something on Twitter from Mal McMullan that they are avoiding big crowds for minors because probably because they are that year younger!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: JoG2 on June 12, 2022, 09:51:41 PM

Good man, that would be a nice bonus if the minors were a curtain raiser to a senior double header

Only if Derry are the first of the two quarters. Otherwise folk will skip the minors and stay in the pub.

Anyhow

Derry v Mayo
Galway v Clare
Kerry v Armagh
Dublin v Cork

Saturday games should be the two games where the winners will play in the first semi.

clarshack

Pat Spillane says Cork have momentum lol. As bad as Tyrone have been if Cork had have drawn us in the first qualifier we still would have beaten them by 10+
It's been a very favourable draw for the Munster teams this year.