New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

How would anyone not like to know for certain that God does or does not exist? I will however continue to believe he does.

Like it or not fear is a primary motivating factor in almost everything we do or don't do. I do fear God and his capacity for retribution while hoping that mercy will be shown,and trust in his loving capacity to show mercy. I do not see anything whatsoever wrong with this.

Oraisteach

And, so, if he didn't exist, would you still act morally?

Also, will God punish an atheist who acts morally? 

I think you're putting your money on Pascal's Wager, Tony.  If God exists, and you follow his directions, then eternal happiness.  And if he doesn't exist, then no big deal.  But if he does exist and you don't believe, then get the charcoal ready.

T Fearon

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

T Fearon

Unfortuantely atheists who act morally will be damned. Acceptance of the Lord (in otherwords belief in him) as your saviour is paramount, along with genuine heartfelt repentance and avoidance of serious/mortal sin.

Oraisteach

Then, Tony, you're worshiping an unjust God.  Would Jesus damn a moral atheist?  God in his omniscience would also be savvy enough to see your good acts for what they are--motivated by self-interest, not altruism.  And for that, you might very well end up in the hothouse anyway.

Denn Forever

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2015, 04:38:37 PM
Unfortuantely atheists who act morally will be damned. Acceptance of the Lord (in otherwords belief in him) as your saviour is paramount, along with genuine heartfelt repentance and avoidance of serious/mortal sin.

That's a very Calvinist outlook.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

T Fearon

er how could God welcome someone into his kingdom,who never believed in him? The whole tenet of all Christian faith is Christ's redeeming death on the cross.How can one be redeemed if he or she never believed in the redeemer?

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2015, 05:44:20 PM
er how could God welcome someone into his kingdom,who never believed in him? The whole tenet of all Christian faith is Christ's redeeming death on the cross.How can one be redeemed if he or she never believed in the redeemer?
What about those who never knew about the redeemer?

Oraisteach

Have you shared your views with Pope Francis, Tony.  To paraphrase him, I believe he said that we are ALL redeemed by Christ's blood . . . . Even the atheists.  So you better be gathering your posse of cardinals for the next conclave if you intend to step back in time.

T Fearon

Yes but you still must accept and believe in the redeemer,repent and avoid sin

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2015, 04:38:37 PM
Tony, I don't want to be offensive but I'm afraid you are talking through your anal orifice.
Either that or the Holy Father is doing ditto through his.

This is what Pope Francis has had to say on the matter:
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! "Father, even the atheists? "Even the atheists. Everyone!...we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path to peace."

Even allowing for the unholy amount of shite you find in such pronouncements, it's clear that The Boss thinks atheists, as long as they do good, will pass through the Pearly Gates, same as you and Sean Brady.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Oraisteach

I don't think that's right because, as Maguire pointed out, there are many good people in the world who've never heard of the Redeemer, and many atheists who are way more Christian (in its broadest sense) than many who have accepted Jesus, and I'm sure Francis is not waving Tata to either of the first two groups.

Thanks, Lar, for excavating the Pope's statement.

T Fearon

God has redeemed all of us,potentially,but unfortunately not everyone will accept that or actually become redeemed.Absolutely no variance between my views and the Pope's.