is now a good time to buy shares?

Started by the Deel Rover, August 11, 2007, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2010, 04:56:27 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 25, 2010, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2010, 01:55:00 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 31, 2008, 01:27:20 PM
We seem to have found the bottom - has anyone taken the plunge ??????????

have we found it yet ?

For once in my life I was lucky in regard to investments, during the crash of 2008 I had my 401k money in a fixed account as I was trying to buy extra pension benefits (this never materialized), I put the 401k money back in slowly to my accounts over the next 6 months with over a 50% return on my money since then. Pure luck, in right place at the right time!The markets have had a nice steady return in the last 18 months just spread out your exposure.

sure no wonder you are looking for house bargains FL  ;)

Deel, I cant touch it until I retire unfortunately so not any good to me now. Have you finished that house yet....I love bargains ;)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 25, 2010, 05:17:31 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2010, 04:56:27 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 25, 2010, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 25, 2010, 01:55:00 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 31, 2008, 01:27:20 PM
We seem to have found the bottom - has anyone taken the plunge ??????????

have we found it yet ?

For once in my life I was lucky in regard to investments, during the crash of 2008 I had my 401k money in a fixed account as I was trying to buy extra pension benefits (this never materialized), I put the 401k money back in slowly to my accounts over the next 6 months with over a 50% return on my money since then. Pure luck, in right place at the right time!The markets have had a nice steady return in the last 18 months just spread out your exposure.

sure no wonder you are looking for house bargains FL  ;)

Deel, I cant touch it until I retire unfortunately so not any good to me now. Have you finished that house yet....I love bargains ;)

aye house finished happy f**king days, next time your home pop down and we can discuss a price over a creamy pint of guiness  you never know mayo footbal might come into the conversationl ;) oh and hope your have a nice thankgiving today Fl
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

omagh_gael

How would a man, for a bit of craic, go about buying a few cheap shares? Is there any user friendly websites out there? Do you have to register yourself to any particular company/government agency to buy shares?

thebigfella

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 14, 2011, 03:52:38 PM
How would a man, for a bit of craic, go about buying a few cheap shares? Is there any user friendly websites out there? Do you have to register yourself to any particular company/government agency to buy shares?

If you really are asking these questions on a sports discussion forum and expecting serious answers, my recommendation is try you luck down the bookies instead   :D

viiv

The Iceman

Anybody trading at the moment?
Have FORD, Verizon and GE staying steady enough for me in my safety bucket right now and have a growth bucket. I just picked up Mitek Systems for the growth bucket last week at $4.05 and today they just hit $4.74
All a bit of craic no huge numbers but keeps an interest in the market, at least over here.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 01, 2008, 09:37:02 PM
Now is a good time to buy Gold.

Wonder how much gold has gone up since OTB posted this comment in 2008
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 01, 2011, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on November 01, 2008, 09:37:02 PM
Now is a good time to buy Gold.

Wonder how much gold has gone up since OTB posted this comment in 2008

http://www.the-privateer.com/chart/gold-pf.html

4th November 2008  US$755.00 ounce  -----24th June 2011 US$1505.00 ounce   1555.00 all time high
Double your money in a little over 2 years. But you needed to have that extra 755 sitting around ::)

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

LeoMc

Bump.
I just saw this thread referenced on another thread about buying shares. The late 2008 posts make sobering reading.
Sean Quinn may have 1b exposure on Anglo.
Time to buy AIB
BoI has dropped to €5 euro.

Fender

Invest in TomCo (American oil Company on the London Stock Exchange) you heard it here first!!  8) 8) 8)

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Fender on January 07, 2013, 10:38:20 PM
Invest in TomCo (American oil Company on the London Stock Exchange) you heard it here first!!  8) 8) 8)

Still invested?

LeoMc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 27, 2013, 08:57:35 PM
Quote from: Fender on January 07, 2013, 10:38:20 PM

Still invested?
You would be grand if you has jumped on in July, they are nearly back to their January high.

lfdown2

What are peoples views on banking shares currently. I had been considering making a small long term (20 year) investment and had been eyeing up BOI and Lloyds specifically, obviously a gamble but would people be confident in their long term performance?

The Iceman

Quote from: lfdown2 on May 01, 2015, 02:27:26 PM
What are peoples views on banking shares currently. I had been considering making a small long term (20 year) investment and had been eyeing up BOI and Lloyds specifically, obviously a gamble but would people be confident in their long term performance?
why banking? why not look at a more stable investment. Health insurance in the US - look at the performance of Aetna for example over the past 6/7 years...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

lfdown2

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2015, 04:13:37 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on May 01, 2015, 02:27:26 PM
why banking? why not look at a more stable investment. Health insurance in the US - look at the performance of Aetna for example over the past 6/7 years...

No particular reason, have just followed them since things went tits up and note their current low value compared to the high which I would have thought they would return to long term - my knowledge is limited (under statement) and as I say it was only as a small investment (gamble). Thanks though will have a look at those.