GAA presidential election 2020

Started by Eamonnca1, February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Why do people keep repeating this trope about "greed" and "it's all about the money?" The GAA does not have shareholders or millionaire directors. It's a community-based non-profit organization with a small paid staff, a volunteer president, and all the "profits" (a surplus to give it it proper title) are reinvested at grassroots level! You can see where the money is spent. It's in the annual report. You can go to the website right now and download it.

Christ.

As for the current president, he's prioritized the club championship at the expense of the inter-county championship. The All-Ireland finals are no longer in September. A pretty significant reform, wouldn't you say? This is a distinctly non-commercial decision. Not bad for someone who came into the job at the worst possible time, a once-in-a-century global pandemic. It kinda limited what he was able to do for a big chunk of his presidency.

As for coverage, he's frequently on Twitter extolling the club game and attending club matches. And you're complaining that you don't hear from him enough?

Wildweasel74

It is about money and greed, been following the Gaa from late 80's changed so much, only worthwhile rule on all that time was taking the free out of the hands, Derry had 8/9 managers managing outside the county about 10/12yrs ago, followed the easy money, and eventually the county board had to put up or shut up and got us in a good manager at a cost.

Wildweasel74

What did Larry Mccarthy say about all the recent violence and assaults which occurred past few months. When the GAA was getting hammered about this in the papers and TV what did they put forward to counteract this. I don't remember seeing any man been put forward to said what they would do.

ONeill

Who was the last president you thought made a difference for the better during his tenure?

There's something about Burns that suggests he might be decent.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rossfan

Seán Kelly..... but you're not allowed to say that
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Silver hill

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Peter Quinn started the Redevelopment of Croke Park.

Sean Kelly let Soccer and Rugby into Croke Park.

Sean Kelly started the Redevelopment of Dublin GAA as a force.

Sean Kelly has been the only President from Kerry.

Silver hill

Quote from: ONeill on November 06, 2022, 12:34:07 AM
Can ye say what they did

Presented Sam to 4 Ulster counties during his tenure.....that'll do me!

Rossfan

Don't Presidents only get 3 year terms?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Silver hill

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2022, 10:41:13 AM

Peter Quinn (born 1944) served as the 30th president of the Gaelic Athletic Association from 1991 until 1994.[1] A native of Gortmullan, Teemore, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.......

Not sure what month his presidency started in in 91 though.

Silver hill

Elected in 91, took up office in 92, presented the trophy to Donegal, Derry and Down during his 3 year tenure.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2022, 10:41:13 AM

And become a lame duck after the second year roughly when their successor is elected.
All focus on what the new guy will do

Snapchap

Quote from: Itchy on November 01, 2022, 10:45:27 PM
Quote from: Saul goodman on November 01, 2022, 10:37:56 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 01, 2022, 08:39:10 PM
I doubt Jarlath  is as well connected or has enough millionaire chums to become president.

Let's face it,  that's why Big Larry is there

I have no idea on how the election of President works- I would assume there will be some anti-northern bias and a lot of people greasing palms of others

President before was a school teacher from Cavan, hardly rubbing shoulders with millionaires. He was a shite president but the idea that the process is corrupt or has anti northern bias is complete horse shite

Taken from a column last week by Andy Watters, sports journalist at the Irish News, writing about the vote between Larry McCarthy and Jarlath Burns:

"Without wishing to stir a cold pot, the tail-end of an exchange heard in the foyer of The Croke Park Hotel just before the voting left me with an uneasy feeling as I walked across the road to the stadium.
"You have to keep the Nordies out," says one fella to another.
Maybe they weren't delegates, maybe they were talking about something completely different but the end result was that the Nordie - despite his unquestionable credentials as a former county footballer and captain, a staunch club player and administrator, his record on various national committees, his career in teaching etc, etc, etc - was kept out."